Turbo Tuning - Help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo Tuning - Help!
Yesterday i finally decided to wind the turbo up on my phase 2 d turbo following darren lobb's youtube guide (which is great by the way!) i thought i had a t2 as it has an actuator arm, but when i try to slacken the lock nut it spins the threaded bar, it also looks slightly different from the t2 as there is what looks like a bracket or something infront of the actuator, it is definitely a garret as it says it on the actuator, but is there another garrett turbo other than the t2?
Thanks given by:
Will be a gt15
Thanks given by:
Ah right cheers! Anyone know the tuning method of this one? I would imagine similar to the t2 but which way to turn the arm?
Thanks given by:
Yea it's a gt15 if it has that bracket

You need to take the circlip off take the actuator bar off the turbo screw the knurled bit down the bar towards the wastegate then pull the bar accross and put it back on the pin with the cir clip

Or f*ck it off and fit a manual boost controller can be had for a tenner off ebay
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
So with a mbc can i get more psi than i am currently running without adjusting the wastegate?
Thanks given by:
Yes basically the mbc bypasses the wastegate temporary

Say you set it to 25 psi the boost controller stays shut till 25psi then it opens and let's the excess boost though the pipes to the wastegate

Much better set up and easier to adjust in future
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Ah i see, will have a look into that, cheers!
Thanks given by:
Any tips on identifying which turbo you have? Or is it a case of watching said youbtube video...
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2014, 04:53 PM)graebob Wrote: Any tips on identifying which turbo you have? Or is it a case of watching said youbtube video...

yours will be a k14 or a T2 as it's phase 1 . .unless it's been changed . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
just dont get the bleed type boost controller, try to get a ball/spring type..

i dunno the rules on posting links on here but look for Turbosmart boost Ts, very good.. also Rspec boost guages (seen a few on here) do a nice kit with all the little bits you need.. i have one on mine, came with a nice little gnurled knob and locknut
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Cheers for that pal! Any tips on how i would go about installing a mbc?
Thanks given by:
really really easy...

BUT you will need, absolutely must have, a boost guage for this.. if not you run the risk of overboosting, and popping your head off, at very worst you will get silly heatsoak, i got mine as a little kit from Rspec, off of ebay, guage is spot on accurate (tested it at a mates work, he works for bosch diagnostics and chucked it on his hideously expensive calibration machine for things like this)

go to halfrauds and get some 5mm id silicon boost hose (its £10 for 2 meters, or get it from somewhere like roose motorsport or ebay - it must be rated as boost hose).

get some GOOD quality appropriately sized hose clamps for this job.

1. remove the small rubber hose that connects the turbo housing (cold side) to the actuator completely..

2. run a line from the turbo housing, to a T peice, then to the "in" side of the boost controller.

(2a. from the T peice run the contained line to the boost guage (this should be BEFORE the boost controller))

3. from the "out" side on the boost controller, run to the actuator diaphram on the turbo..

So..

Turbo manifold --> T peice (to boost guage) --> boost controller --> wastegate actuator.

wind the boost controller completely off, it will crack open early, and the turbo will behave as it was before, make sure the boost guage is working appropriately (it should be showing around 12psi), Then wind the boost controller in i would say in 1 turn incriments max, until you reach about 16psi for now.

anything over 18 or so without decent intercooling will suffer from heatsoak, and you will lose power

the boost controller serves 2 purposes, it regulates the pressure to the actuator, so you dont get wastegate creep (it starts to open before the required pressure due to the increase in pressure in the turbo itself) which means your boost build will be better, and it allows you to keep the wastegate closed until higher pressures by only allowing the pressure through at the pre-determined point, regardless of what the actuator is set at.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Thats a great help cheers bud! Does the boost gauge need to be in that line? as i already have plumbed in
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 06:29 AM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Thats a great help cheers bud! Does the boost gauge need to be in that line? as i already have plumbed in

i assume you took the boost guage off of the line running from the T for the compensator on the pump?

if so...

turbo cold side --> boost compensator T (leave the boost gauge in this line) --> boost control valve --> actuator.

so essentially cut the bit between the T and the actuator and stick the boost controller in there, this should provide the correct pressure to the compensator and guage, and moderated pressure to the actuator.

as long as all the things that require pressure or give readings are before control valve, you should be fine.. putting them after results in 2 things. 1 the gauge will only read what you have the boost control valve set at, and not the actual pressure on the cold side (dangerous) and 2, the boost compensator wont get a proper reading and possibly improperly fuel the engine.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
But doesn't the boost compensator just go to the pump? I think i might just relocate my boost gauge down to the actuator line Smile
Thanks given by:
the boost compensator is fed off of the line that goes between the turbo and actuator, hence i asked..

like i said, as long as EVERYTHING (boost guage, pump boost compensator) is all taken off the high pressure side (ie before the boost controller) you should have no issue..

i will throw together a small diagram later in paint (of all things lol) to demonstrate what i mean
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I was thinking of the boost compensator that comes of the intercooler and goes to the pump, is this the one? That is where my boost gauge is piped in, i thought that just tells the pump when to throw more fuel in on boost! No need to do a diagram pal, dont want to take any of your time up!
Thanks given by:
here you go, a visual diagram.

it depends on the setup, my friends 306 has it T-ed from the actuator line.. however, on yours leave the boost guage where it is (from the intercooler) and simply add the boost control valve in the line between the turbo housing and actuator (make sure its the right way round)
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Right got ya! Makes sense now haha, thanks a lot for the help mate, really appreciate it! Smile
Thanks given by:
this is all crazy speak lol . . . . .boost gauge off the pipe from intercooler to boost compensator on fuel pump and manual boost controller T'd in where the separate pipe would go to the actuator on the turbo . . Smile

all is right what was said but as it's not using the same pipe, that diagram slightly confuses things to my mind . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats what i thought, leave the boost gauge where it is then stick the boost controller on the actuator pipe on the blower
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2014, 11:57 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: this is all crazy speak lol . . . . .boost gauge off the pipe from intercooler to boost compensator on fuel pump and manual boost controller T'd in where the separate pipe would go to the actuator on the turbo . . Smile

all is right what was said but as it's not using the same pipe, that diagram slightly confuses things to my mind . . Smile

i am going on my setup as it currently is, i didnt have a standard ic/ fitted, hence i only had 1 hose to work with (and no boost compensator). now it has an IC there and is wired up like the one in my first diagram is..

you want this diagram below, your setup
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats what i was thinking, will get one ordered Tomorrow then i can have more booost!!!!! Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gt2260v turbo tuning wategate depression niciou 8 2,476 09-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Dave
  1.9d non turbo tuning karl1989 9 2,255 07-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam
  D Turbo tuning. ADV_93 59 29,227 29-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Last Post: ADV_93