Away to loose my Tuning virginity any extra tips?**lucas**

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Away to loose my Tuning virginity any extra tips?**lucas**
Hi there all, I was just wandering if anyone has some extra tips for me, Im tuning my lucas set up for the 1st time i have been swatting up on guides and videos but am still a bit nervous of doing it myself! I need the car daily for commuting to work etc so i really dont wanna mess it up! Any extra tips or precautions uz can think of would be very handy too.. Thanks alot!
no smoke no poke... so they say!Puke
Thanks given by:
Use a flat blade an be careful not to hit the centre and puncture the bung

Don't use a ball ended Allen key
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2014, 06:33 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Use a flat blade an be careful not to hit the centre and puncture the bung

Don't use a ball ended Allen key

Thanks danny! Do u mean use a knife to open up the bung? video i seen was a boy using a flat headed screwdriver and chapping it gently anti-clockwise! Also should i go out and buy an expensive 4mm allen key for the pump? grip it with pliers....?? cheers mate
Thanks given by:
Fit a bosch

/thread
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2014, 06:45 PM)Piggy Wrote: Fit a bosch

/thread

knew it wouldnt be long til some1 said that Doh.. I know bosch if FTW but i just wanna try with the lucas 1st.. stage 1 for my ginger 30 is more than enough for me hahaha
Thanks given by:
Ive tuned my lucas in the intrim whike I source new engine and pump. Pulls really well. But its hard to get a near snokeless tune. But not impossible. Take your time small inrements and dont up the boost before you have the fueling done. Boost goes up with it just sometimes needs a tweek on turbo to help it along
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
just got under the car and i have a garret turbo.. pretty sure its a t15. Take it this is good??Itwasntme

(16-05-2014, 07:25 PM)tombarnard1989 Wrote: Ive tuned my lucas in the intrim whike I source new engine and pump. Pulls really well. But its hard to get a near snokeless tune. But not impossible. Take your time small inrements and dont up the boost before you have the fueling done. Boost goes up with it just sometimes needs a tweek on turbo to help it along

nice man.. that sounds good to me.. It should be tomorrow when i go for it! Im hoping to get 18psi after the days ended, even 17psi wud do for now! Ill keep it updated
Thanks given by:
Im running 22psi on mine atm. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2014, 07:37 PM)tombarnard1989 Wrote: Im running 22psi on mine atm. Smile

whaa nice... wht turbo y got? isnt that likley to pop the engine or summin?? running at 22psi on a lucas standard??
Thanks given by:
Running a gt15. Runs.kike a dream. No problems at all. Yet. Im going to busild another engine up anyway so not fussed. I also have a dhy block. Which are prone for throwing rods out. But again seems fine.
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2014, 02:16 AM)tombarnard1989 Wrote: Running a gt15. Runs.kike a dream. No problems at all. Yet. Im going to busild another engine up anyway so not fussed. I also have a dhy block. Which are prone for throwing rods out. But again seems fine.

nice man sounds very good t me! I am pretty sure i also have the garett gt15 or atleast the other one the t2 or sumin but its defo a garrett. Not sure what block or that i have tho, not even sure how to check! Speechless Thanks for replys dude helps me out allot Sleepy
Thanks given by:
Chassis number will tell you mate. Put ure chassis number on here minus the last 8 so people cant use it and we can identify for u Smile
Thanks given by:
sweet man that would be MEGA handy!! I gave u a rep point for being helpful bro! chassis number is
VF37CDHYE minus the last 8 digits.. D.8B, Its running a lucas and a garret t15 or t2 1999 D Turbo
Thanks given by:
Its dhy man unless its had an engine change in its life. Smile I can never remember how many digits in the code is unless I see.most the number. Used to work for pug a a tech
Thanks given by:
Away to have a bash at tuning !!! Sunday is the day!!
Thanks given by:
i was a bit scepticle at first when i tuned the lucas on my dturbo. but it really isnt difficult. make sure youve got a decent allen key, you dont want that breaking and falling into your pump. other than that, not much else can go wrong, just turn the max fuel a little bit at a time until your seeing the psi you want, then adjust the turbo to suit
Thanks given by:
thanks for all the help!! I have managed to tune my car somewhat.. I have the fueling right my only problem is gettin the psi up from 16 to 18psi! Im sure i have to adjust the external accuator on the turbo to get the psi tweaked just right? Its actually quicker than i even antisipated at 16psi lol ,doesnt over heat and no starting problems ever, but its only 16psi till i get a chance to get under the car!!
Thanks given by:
Is it smoking on boost? If not turn fueling up a touch more. Then it will also up the boost a touch.
Thanks given by:
16psi is good, above this you start to have issues with heatsoak, and lose the density of the intake air due to the high temp without an intercooler upgrade.

either way, 16psi is nice.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 11:56 PM)toseland Wrote: 16psi is good, above this you start to have issues with heatsoak, and lose the density of the intake air due to the high temp without an intercooler upgrade.

thanks man! I am definetly feeling a difference with 16psi as to the standard boost.. It just feels like I have a little bit more power that i am loosing out on not hitting 18psi.. I am getting a custom air intake in the next week or 2 and a front mount intercooler so i should maybe lay off the tuning till i get them in and fitted? cheers!
Thanks given by:
if you fit a boost controller you will benefit from the complete lack of wastegate creep as well, it will open AT 16psi rather than cracking open prior to that and bleeding boost..

your turbo will boost earlier, and faster
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 11:56 PM)toseland Wrote: 16psi is good, above this you start to have issues with heatsoak, and lose the density of the intake air due to the high temp without an intercooler upgrade.

16psi is lowwwww . . .albeit's a smaller turbo than a k14 or T2, there's still more to be had before heatsoak becomes an issue . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
i started to get issues with soak at 18psi, so 16 is a good start.

personally i am not a fan of fiddling with the actuator, especially when alright boost controllers are so cheap

if a jobs worth doing..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Im on 22psi no problems or soak. I dont thrash the car constant to be fair and I havnt got a boost controller on or adjusted turbo. As the fueling went up the boost did too. No smoke on boost eithet
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2014, 09:34 AM)toseland Wrote: i started to get issues with soak at 18psi, so 16 is a good start.

personally i am not a fan of fiddling with the actuator, especially when alright boost controllers are so cheap

if a jobs worth doing..

on what, the vitara? Folks round here laugh real hard at 16psi Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
yeah on the vitara, its aat 7-8psi now as the turbo is rediculously weak (even tho its a KKK03).

i got a new rover 400 intercooler off of ebay for £1, thatll be going on with some nice silicon hoses next week.. and a new set of injectors..

GT6041 for the XUD9 in the garage.. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
gt6041???? what in the name of......

To be fair those who dont complain of heatsoak obviously dont drive properly, i get serious heatsoak in no time driving mine at about 19psi, i have to slow down when the water temp goes above 90 though as the water starts to boil away....
Thanks given by:
i get huge heatsoak on the vitara when offroading.. often lots of power lots of the time, heats everything up.

have a new pacet fan coming for the intercooler however, so that should help, wondering whether i should wire it up to a thermocouple on the intercooler, or a switch in the cab or with one of the rad fans..

i should point out that the 30kg of GT6041 are completely nackered and came off an 8litre diesel mining truck that had sucked a stone into the compressor... at 1400rpm, with the compressor working at full capacity..

not good, lol
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JP's Lucas tuning guide blinkyeatu 6 2,176 29-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Lucas and t2 tuning andyyy 45 12,885 21-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Lucas tuning... laurence_13 25 4,084 23-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard