I Drive a suzuki vitara....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Drive a suzuki vitara....
yes i know the first thing that came into your head was "but this is a pug forum", but it is your wealth of knowledge that I am after, and thought This might be an interesting first post..

The suzuki vitara is one of the 190 or so XUD9 fitted commercials currently left in the UK (i feel blessed),, manufactured 2001.

the engine in the vehicle is the XUD9SD variant found in the pug406, Xantia and some suzuki Baleno's, without the intercooler, with the cat and with a lucas fueling setup. Also, the lucas pump does NOT have the boost compensator fitted to it.

it has a KKK03 turbo on it, car has done 119000 miles..

BUT.. the turbo is not boosting as it should be.

I am led to believe that from standard these should be producing a nice 11-12psi, possibly up to 14psi at standard. and was aiming for a conservative 20psi when i fit an intercooler (going to be an izusu trooper one)

the max fuel screw has been increased, by approximately 65degrees from standard (just over 3/8 of a full turn) as described in a very nice post i found on here referencing the no smoke, no poke thread about it.

there is a new manual boost controller (spring and ball type not the bleed type) fitted, and a new boost guage in the cab (fitted last night).

3rd gear on boost at 2500rpm i am only making about 5-6 PSI.

things I have done so far at running temp

--Checked the pressure guage with my diving gear pressure guage, it is almost spot on (0.3psi off)
--Checked all pipes on and to the boost controller, no visible leaks (soapy water test)
--Checked the pipes to the intake manifold from the turbo, no visible leaks.
--Air filter both in and out (just to check) for a short uphill run.

Thinking one of 2 things: Blocked exhaust (Cat or restrictive silencer) or stuck wastegate..

do you guys have any suggestions further? or am I along the right lines
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Massive boost leak is also another option but you'd more than likely hear it if you're only making 5-6 psi
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Any black smoke at all?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
nothing stupid, , but some on full throttle and IF i hit the limiter its like i am driving down a dusty black road
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a boost leak then! Pour some water with washing up liquid over any place boost runs through, if you see bubbles, it's a leak
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i did have a look, (did the washing up test) the current set up uses the original hose.. this literally consists of 2 joints, (turbo to the pipe, and pipe to the manifold).

the pipe is in good condition, and all the jubilee clips are nice and tight.. could it be leaking anywhere else?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Was wondering also, how loud are these with a straight through 2" pipe, decat, strictly off-road use only of course Angel
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I had one of these but unfortunately it was stolen!

[attachment=16312]
Thanks given by:
That is a very nice looking commie, shame.. mine is white tho so I am innocent lol
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Did I read that right...theres no boost comp?? Surely thats strangling the fuel, thus the boost?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mine had a k04 turbo and was boosting 7psi standard.
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2014, 06:34 AM)Piggy Wrote: Did I read that right...theres no boost comp?? Surely thats strangling the fuel, thus the boost?

the boost compensator is more an offboost compensator if i remember (it reduces fuel off boost rather than increasing it on boost from what i have read), either way this lucas variant never had one fitted...

looking for a bosch setup, dontr want to do it as it means retiming but still

one drama after another with this motor, managed to set fire to the clutch cable as it came unclipped from the clip and sat on the turbo manifold (hot side) for a "spirited" drive...

i might be wrong, it feels fine with 7psi, not the quickest thing in the world..

Eventually i will be looking to put an XUD11 in it, engine mounts in the same place? (lower ones)

however i have a nice, used, v.g.c TD04 sat in my garage waiting for me to get off my backside and make a plate for it... got to get me a new clutch cable first.. another £50, lol
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I had quite a few clutch cable issues. Can't remember exactly what I had to do but I remember running a 1.6 8v one and it being really short whereas the proper one was a lot longer but a lot harder to get hold of. Remember it being very tight by the exhaust and melting at least two. Might be worth wrapping it in something

And as for bosch change, there's no need to re time the engine, and it's an absolute piece of piss on these engines as they are the right way round! Take fans and rad off and you can get to everything!
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2014, 06:16 PM)Sambarker Wrote: I had quite a few clutch cable issues. Can't remember exactly what I had to do but I remember running a 1.6 8v one and it being really short whereas the proper one was a lot longer but a lot harder to get hold of. Remember it being very tight by the exhaust and melting at least two. Might be worth wrapping it in something

And as for bosch change, there's no need to re time the engine, and it's an absolute piece of piss on these engines as they are the right way round! Take fans and rad off and you can get to everything!

i have the product code of one that fits exactly from zook. (but it only comes from zook, they went through 6 to get to the right one) so ill go see if the motor factors can order me an equivalent to that.

ill stick it the other side of the steering column this time, thatll keep it far enough away, and then wrap something around it to stop it wearing out so fast. bit of steel plate or something on it.. should do the trick.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
So.. decided to look for another turbo.. TD04 is in my sights right now and have the K03 on here at the moment, the flanges on the Dturbo K03s all the same for the hotside exit?

the reason i ask is because my downpipe exits and turns nearly 90degrees down, and was wondering if an adapter plate for the regular 306 downpipe would be suitable.. i assume they have simply turned the direction of the pipe on the flange, and the bolts will be in the same position (it is the same engine after all) anyone have any experience? and/or could anyone point me in the direciton of some oil lines on here for the TD04?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Put some pics up of it! Always wanted one of these with this engine but are rocking horse poo!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
The standard elbow, if it fits, is shite anyway mate. I'm using one and don't like it and want to change for something less restrictive.
Better to just make up an adapter plate with a 2.5-3" tight 90 welded on with a custom down pipe.
Thanks given by:
Run it without a cat or air filter and see how she goes to eliminate either of those being blocked. also try changing the fuel filter
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suzuki Vitara XUD9 tuning Franek_ 29 10,292 10-03-2021, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jamie182