Advice needed please..!!! Head gasket

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed please..!!! Head gasket
Ok so I apologise advance for the rant you're about to read lol
I have a 1.4 306, bought in March this year for £650 absolutely no problems with it whatsoever it's currently on 93,000 miles. Drive it 4/5 miles yesterday and the temperature suddenly shot into the red and light came on to stop the engine. Stopped in halfords car park the bloke in halfords put antifreeze in for me car then seemed fine again. Drove about 17 miles into oxford and suddenly car started juddering. Let it cool down and then got a further 6/7 miles before the car started juddering again, let it cool down again then finally got the last 7 miles to the garage. I find out this afternoon from the mechanic that the head gasket has blown and he's quoted me £400 minimum for the work to be done..!! This is third car in a year..!! Is it worth fixing..?? I've got no idea what to do with it and any input would be appreciated.

Again sorry for the long story lol

Also mechanic has mentioned there's a problem with one of the injectors too
Thanks given by:
That's a bit dear for a new head gasket, guessing that includes a head skim and new cambelt, water pump and tensioners. How is the rest of the car? And whats this injector problem?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
No idea he didn't say what it included. I asked him about the rest of the car, I've got to call him back at half 4 and find out
Thanks given by:
I just got my headgasket and clutch fitted with my parts including head skim for £305 so probs 220 ish for the head and skim? For parts, i got head gasket, head set, cam belt, oil/filter, antifreeze for just under 100 ish from ecp. So id be looking to spend 300-350 max. Buy your own stuff and it usually works out cheaper.
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2014, 04:55 PM)SteveMcs Wrote: I just got my headgasket and clutch fitted with my parts including head skim for £305 so probs 220 ish for the head and skim? For parts, i got head gasket, head set, cam belt, oil/filter, antifreeze for just under 100 ish from ecp. So id be looking to spend 300-350 max. Buy your own stuff and it usually works out cheaper.

Most of the head-set you won't need for a HG, unless you're rebuilding the head (guides etc) too. The manifold gaskets can be bought separately for peanuts.

Unless you can do the work yourself, £2-300 seems the ballpark figure for a HG even if it is a really simple one like the 306 1.4.

Why does the mechanic think there is a problem with an injector?
Thanks given by:
Isnt the 1.4 spi?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2014, 05:59 AM)Piggy Wrote: Isnt the 1.4 spi?

Early ones were but later ones were MPI.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough

They are very easy to do gasket wise. 2-3hours for a slow mechanic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Quick update... Went to see the mechanic today, he said on my next mot (October) the car will need another £300-£400 work done to it ..!!! He's advised me not to have the head gasket done and cut my losses... Any suggestions..??
Thanks given by:
What is the £3-400 worth of work it needs?
Thanks given by:
I can't remember all of it but it needs shock absorbers, bulbs, cam belt, airbag is faulty, knocking noise he's not sure what it is yet but needs fixing too
Thanks given by:
Cambelt you'd get done when you have the head gasket done, knocking noise could just be the shocks if they need replacing. bulbs are a couple of quid down halfords and the airbag faulty is a common fault. Look under the driver seat and theres a plug, unplug it and plug it back in (I'd disconnect battery first just to be safe). Shocks should be easy enough to do yourself? But even still, if he's charging £3-400 for that and £400 minimum for head gasket, you definitely need to find a new mechanic!
Thanks given by:
It's not the wiring he checked that today, overall he's a great mechanic unfortunately gonna have to get rid of my little lam (the car) as I'm not sure it's worth all the money tbh
Thanks given by:
Sounds like he's trying to pull a fast one

Where are you? Sure there will be some local members that could take a look
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
You are being mugged right off!!
Thanks given by:
I'm in oxford.
Thanks given by:
Im not far...on holiday from tomorrow though....theres quite a few of us round oxford mind.

How handy are you with spanners?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If he's advised you not to have the work done how is he mugging you off.....
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2014, 09:35 PM)Masonsmummy11 Wrote: It's not the wiring he checked that today, overall he's a great mechanic unfortunately gonna have to get rid of my little lam (the car) as I'm not sure it's worth all the money tbh

Two schools of thought here, if you get rid of this one you'll be shelling out for another car potentially with another unknown history or shell out and fix this one, knowing parts have been replaced (Problem with this is getting fobbed off though!).

I might be up that way for work in the next few weeks, so could have a look unless you sort it beforehand.
Thanks given by:
So I spoke to 2 different mechanics from other garages today who also said it's not worth the money. Problem is I have £500 spare max and a broken car. My mechanic has said I can buy the courtesy car from him but it's £1000 .... STRESSED ... And in answer to the question above I'm a girl who knows nothing about cars so not great with a spanner lol
Thanks given by:
fix what you have, do the other jobs as and when you have a spare bit of cash so you don't have to do all the work to get it through an MOT, if there's a faulty with stuff now just think how bad it could get if you neglect it.
Thanks given by:
Ok as of this morning my poorly car is up for sale... Cheap obviously as it needs work ..!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head gasket on its way out? Nathan1305 16 3,499 27-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Nathan1305