A few problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few problems
Now my car is on the road, i've had some time to drive it a bit and see if there is any more problems. So far i've found a couple.

Firstly, first gear is absolutely horrible to get into. It's pretty much just luck whether it will go in first time, or take 10 tries. It is slightly easier to put it in second first but not by much.

Secondly the heater. It works perfectly when i use the switches etc, but it also works when i don't. It seems even when i've turned the blowers off, they still put out hot/cold air at a rate depending on the speed i'm going (As in, if i'm stationary nothing comes out, but i'f i'm doing 70 it comes out as if the fan speed was set to 2) Obviously this isn't really a problem and i just keep it pointed at my windscreen to stop it misting up, but just wondering if it's a common fault or not.

Windscreen wipers have as much effect as a wet towel. They do clear 90% of the water but still leave a fair bit so i'm guessing i need new wiper blades. Any cheaper alternatives than halfords?

I think there are a few things but just niggly things so i'm not too fussed. If anyone can shed any light/ give advice onb any of these i'd be grateful Smile
Thanks given by:
Pretty decent aero wiper blades for the money: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330799960450
Been running these a few months and they work flawlessly, great value at that price.

Just to be sure, looking at the blower dial, there are number settings, and then there is a picture of a car with an arrow going over it at the bottom? When set to 0 the ducting is still open so you still get airflow, just no fan. Set it to the bottom setting to shut the duct. The opening for it is behind the scuttle panel below the windscreen if this isn't working and you want to investigate. If you are unable to turn the dial all the way down, check that your aftermarket stereo wiring (if you have one) isn't snagging on the back of it.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2014, 10:13 AM)SteveMcs Wrote: Firstly, first gear is absolutely horrible to get into. It's pretty much just luck whether it will go in first time, or take 10 tries. It is slightly easier to put it in second first but not by much.

Had this on my 1.4. Turned out to be one of the linkages. The original roll pin had obviously worn out or fallen out under it's previous ownership, and had been replaced by an M6 nut & bolt (read worn bolt by now!) hence a sloppy fit for a 7mm hole. Had to drill out to 8mm as that was all the roll pins I had. But tighter than a Nun's fanny now.

Not the only bodge on this car I might add Dodgy
Thanks given by: