Police/tyre stretch lolz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police/tyre stretch lolz
Some poor guy on a VW forum has just had this issued to him and his car has had a marker on it and cannot be used.

[Image: IMG_0898.jpg]

215/35/18's on an 8.5 is a bit of stretch, not actually that much though. But the officers problem is that the tyres are 18" and he MEASURED the wheel, using a RULER, and it was between 19 and 20" lol lol lol So he thinks the diameter has been stretched Confusedhock:

Im not usually one to kick up a fuss with the police, but its quite scary that somebody with such little knowledge/common sense has the right to enforce 'laws', based on such appaling knowledge.

Really do feel sorry for the guy, id be so bloody pissed off if this was my car!

Also, please dont go into the stretch is safe/unsafe bullshit, its old now :roll:
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure The outside of the rim is an inch bigger than the actal size anyway! 16s have a 17" face for example.
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Pretty sure The outside of the rim is an inch bigger than the actal size anyway! 16s have a 17" face for example.

Yep, true. The wheel size is actually measured from where the tyre bead seats. But 1. He should know that. and 2. The wheel size is stamped on the rear of the wheel, so why didnt he just ask to remove the wheel to confirm? Also 3. Its pretty bloody impossible to actually get an 18" ring over 19" wheel lol
Thanks given by:
what a douche lol both of them tbf
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Pretty sure The outside of the rim is an inch bigger than the actal size anyway! 16s have a 17" face for example.

Yep, true. The wheel size is actually measured from where the tyre bead seats. But 1. He should know that. and 2. The wheel size is stamped on the rear of the wheel, so why didnt he just ask to remove the wheel to confirm? Also 3. Its pretty bloody impossible to actually get an 18" ring over 19" wheel lol

Very true lol!!

With that marker, does he just have to change wheels? Or is it for a certain lenght of time? You know my thoughts on stretched tyres so I won't go there, but that seems really unfair if he's not allowed to drive after fitting the correct wheels!
Thanks given by:
It looks like a prohibition notice so he will need a full mot before its legal
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:It looks like a prohibition notice so he will need a full mot before its legal

Then he can surely just go get an mot as the car is as they tyres are not illegal?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Lowlife UK shared this on facebook, WTAF, so he has a prohibition notice for 2 things that are not illegal?! As long as the tyre is covered by the arch its fine and I would love to see anyone get an 18" tyre on a 19" or 20" wheel! So really he has already rectified the "problem" since it never existed in the first place! Must have been a low crime area if there was no actual crime for the police to solve!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
You can contest it can't you?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:It looks like a prohibition notice so he will need a full mot before its legal

Then he can surely just go get an mot as the car is as they tyres are not illegal?
It will still need to pass the usual mot stuff and its probably ge
O down to the mot tester as to whether he will pass something that is unsafe
Mot's arent about legality its safety
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:It will still need to pass the usual mot stuff and its probably ge
O down to the mot tester as to whether he will pass something that is unsafe
Mot's arent about legality its safety

And what is unsafe about it exactly?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I can confirm that fitting too small a tyre, even by 1" would be next to impossible... and even being a 35 profile, would make that hard as f*ck to fit anyways!
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Amazing. Ive seen this shared in about 5 places on facebook already.

I think wheels outside the arch is dubious as to legality but as ive not read C&U cover to cover i wouldnt like to argue either way.

As for 18" tyres on a 20" wheel though FLOL
Thanks given by:
Wonder what they would say about this!

http://noriyaro.com/?p=8554
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
police can use construction & use regulations; tread must not protrude from under wheel arch,
we all know 4x4 always get away with it, but if the police want to get a car off the road they will use whatever they can. they have erred on the side of safety, as "stretched "tyres look as though they would unseat when cornering? they dont need any proof that the tyre will, just a thought that it might is enough to issue the ticket.
Thanks given by:
i hope this isnt the shape of things to come.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:i hope this isnt the shape of things to come.

I do Big Grin
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
gather you dont like em then
Thanks given by:
Yay! An end to cars with stupid looking wheels on!

Hopefully they will also prevent cars which 'scrape' too, as that is equally f*cking stupid.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I think some of you have mis-understood the warning/reason for ticket :facepalm:
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:Yay! An end to cars with stupid looking wheels on!

Hopefully they will also prevent cars which 'scrape' too, as that is equally f*cking stupid.

Scraping is different though as it actually damages the tarmac, which IS illegal.

f*cking douchebag policeman. He must be right though, he's wearing the uniform, right? I have no issues with correctly issued penalties but ffs some love a power trip

For those wondering, this is the stretch in question

[Image: 8.5_215_35_R18_Nankang_NS2_595.jpg]
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^^ Id fine him for not being low enough over those wheels!
Thanks given by:
That looks absolutely fine to me! Not as bad as some of the stuff ive seen! Theres no law against tyre stretching. As said above. The guy was obviously on a power trip and has no idea about what is going on with stretch etc!
Thanks given by:
Pmsl i'm not a fan of stretch myself, but that's really not much, what a mong of a copper lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It does look shit, but as others have said, seen much worse!
Thanks given by:
That's like the same stretch as mine lol. Mot tester loves my stretch lol. He even complimented my driving as he was surprised I managed to get the car down the pot holed gravel track without bottoming out haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
think im going for more stretch on mine. 195/45 on a 7.5j aint enough.
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:think im going for more stretch on mine. 195/45 on a 7.5j aint enough.

More then enough. IMO don't stretch unless you have to.
Thanks given by:
i think i have to. will have to see when i get it lower and have the archers rolled and new dampers. if it still scrapes then new tyres are needed
Thanks given by:
Seen how low mine is? Mine has 16" wheels with a 7.5j and 195/45 tyre. No scrubbing, tbf I can get away with a 205/45 tyre too Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  police thebluepearl 77 18,688 23-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Just lolz devils_fuel 17 2,707 23-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Last Post: mr_fish
  Motorway police... rtha6551 52 14,054 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Matt