boost gauge readings.. help..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boost gauge readings.. help..
hey guys just got a 2nd hand boost gauge fitted into my pug.. the pipe from my boost gauge to the t piece is 3mm diameter inside and the t-piece(8mm/4mm/8mm) which is in the pipe leading from the pump to the middle of the intercooler. All that seems to work fine no air leaks seemingly. When i start the car the boost gauge sits at -8 or 8 below 0psi.. when its on full boost id say im gettin 11psi max.. the car is completely standard minus a backbox and middle section but has a cat.. any help on determining if this is normal would help thanks! also its a 1999 ph2 D Turbo running on a lucas and i havent even checked the model of turbo yet haha
no smoke no poke... so they say!Puke
Thanks given by:
I think 11 psi is probably about normal on a standard one, if anything a little bit low, not sure why it would be pulling a vacuum though as that is the pipe that i have tapped into and mine has no problems!
Thanks given by:
You shouldnt get any vaccuum on the line at all.

Is it a cheap gauge?

And standard is about 13-14psi
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That's the line I tapped as well, and I'm not registering a vacuum, though my mechanical gauge does get a bit of flutter at idle.

At stock mine is running 0.9-0.95 bar so about 12-14PSI, so you're not too far off really.
Thanks given by:
thanks for helping guys. Ok so its a mechanical boost gauge it isnt brand new prob a few yrs old sitting in my pals shed! It seems to be sitting at -8 below 0psi when its unplugged and even if its idleing its sitting at -7,-6 ish psi. as soon as its almost getin onto the turbo it whips up 0psi and if i put some foot down am getting 11psi when on full boost. Maybe i should just get myself and new mechanical boost gauge or a digital one. Nothing to worry about but the boost gauge then...?? cheers for any help greatly appretiated
Thanks given by:
Just get another one.
It should sit at 0psi at idle
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2014, 05:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: Just get another one.
It should sit at 0psi at idle

cheers piggy.. looks like al be buying another 1 tonight Doh oh well looks like my mate will be getting that 1 back... thru his window haha
Thanks given by:
yeah sounds fcuked tbh . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
ordered a new mechanical one so hopefully that fixes that! Ill be back with different reading at weekend.. thanks all that helped a MASSIVE noob Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
Haha I'm a noob too dude Smile

Good luck, let us know if it works out
Thanks given by:
Erm. Just having a thought here but if it reads 0 when it's turned off I can't really understand how it could be the gauge.
A blocked air filter might make the engine draw a vacuum?
Thanks given by:
UPDATE! Ordered and fitted a new gauge, works fine!Blush its sitting at 0psi and full boost seems to be 14/13psi. Turns out the old boost gauge i fitted before hand was totally wrecked and sits at -8psi even when turned off.. must have been messed up internally somehowHuh Thanks again for helping all
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost Gauge Decisions CJRODELL 7 1,996 22-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: CJRODELL
  Boost gauge help? Ryan'dolan 2 1,060 20-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  Boost gauge T-piece clarkey2010 13 2,434 29-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Last Post: ADV_93