Can anyone tell me what pulley this is that disintegrated on my HDi last night?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone tell me what pulley this is that disintegrated on my HDi last night?
I was on the way home from Birmingham last night, and I'd noticed that there was a fair bit of noise coming from the AUX belt on the way up, but just carried on as I had to be at a karting place for quarter past five. Anyway on the way home, the alternator light came, ABS light came on, oil light came on and car slowly died until I was about 20 miles way from home and then this pulley decided to shear off so I pulled over.

Looks pretty bad to me, I've not had, much chance to look at as I had places to be this morning, luckily I have a second vehicle and I only drive my 306 on the weekends. It looks like there could be a hole in the block above where the pulley was from the pulley grinding it away, you can see oil residue on the belt and around where the pulley was, so it might of leaked out, if that is indeed a hole then is this engine is scrap surely?. I think the bearing was on the way out as it's been noisey for a weekend or two now so i doubt it was running straight, I should of sorted it but my trusty 306 has been on its last legs for some time now and it was getting sold off in the next month anyway.

Here's some photos:

[Image: 1zgzvqr.jpg]

[Image: 11c5z88.jpg]

Any insight would be great, thanks.
Thanks given by:
that would be the crank aux pulley
they are quite comen to rattle and trow a belt

my sugestion would be to remove the timing belt covers and check the cam belt is still in tackt and the pulleys time up ok, as it normaly puts the belt through the cover and wrecks the engine
Thanks given by:
it looks like bottom crank pully to get it off put it in gear put a spanner on the big bolt and top it with a spanner it will be held in line with a wood ruf key hope this helps change the belts aswell graffta
Thanks given by:
You're lucky if it hasn't taken out the cambelt.... I've recently bought one that had done exactly that...the crank pulley was only a year old as well! Confused
Thanks given by:
Ah so where the hole is, is that just a cover? I thought it was the crank pulley, I had a quick browse through my Haines manual last night but that was at like 1AM and I was pretty tired and couldn't come to a conclusion. I work away five days of the week, so I will have to get on the case next weekend and decide if its worth repairing or not, as a i need a new rear axle to get it through the next MOT due to worn rear end bushes. I think the differential might be on the way out too as the the steering wheel wobbles pretty bad when coming on and off the throttle. Its not looking good haha.
Thanks given by:
That is the Crank Pulley. Replace it with a single piece one off a later 307 that can then never fail. Pattern parts go within weeks or months and Genuine ones may still fail.

You really need to take all the covers off behind it as you can see through the gap in one of the covers to a cam belt roller already so you probably have cam belt damage.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dum Dum, I'll try and get the covers off soon to see extent of damage when I get a chance.
Thanks given by: