6 speed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 speed
Has anyone mated a 6 speed box into a hdi? I drive a citroen relay van at work diesel with a 6 speed box and im getting irritated at jumping in my hdi and not having that 6th gear!!!
Thanks given by:
Lol, going for 6th in a 306 HDi just ends in crunching, done it more than once! Confused

You can get a 6 speed box from the newer pugs, but I think they all use hydraulic clutches which is why no-one really bothers trying to retrofit then to 306s.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, exactly as Tom says tbh.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Is there much I can do to up the 5th gearing on my 205 dt
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 06:46 AM)pugmanxud Wrote: Is there much I can do to up the 5th gearing on my 205 dt

You could change to a HDi 'box for lower rpm at 70 in 5th, but the lower speed ratios aren't as good for the XUD powerband iirc.
Thanks given by:
I see. Can I swap just the 5th pinion wheels to up the gearing in my current box
Thanks given by:
Honestly, I don't know lol. I haven't read of people doing it, so there's probably a reason why not.
Thanks given by:
No.

With the diesel BE boxes - the internal gearing is *vastly* the same - there are minute differences, but generally all the same steps, however they did change the final drive. Putting a HDi box on is the same as just lengthening the final drive. I've seen people look into changing gear sets, but the general outcome seems to be that the BE box is quite tight inside already, to get any changes, you end up having to modify the box a lot to get them in, usually the replacements are out of petrols and they just aren't as strong...

The 6 speed boxes are infact quite a bit different, they're an ML box, cable shift only, hydraulic clutch, different mounts, I've seen it done in a 306 but it's not the easiest task, requires a good bit of modification to make it fit.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
The 2.2 dimma hdi on the forum has the ML box, might be worth dropping him a message of your interested.

I didn't realise they were cable shift, that would make things much easier in my XUD, bloody manifold is in the way of the linkages...
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Cables regularly turn out to be more hassle than they're woth, especially when you've got red hot manifolds right in the way, melting cables, damage etc.

If you do want to fit an ML box - you've got to twat the hell out the subframe to make it fit, the diff housing fouls on the subframe and I think a bit on the bulkhead and possibly on the chassis leg...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
cables are not an issue whatsoever, its actually very easy and simplifies the task immensely than trying to make a linkage system work, you just need to make the shift lever fit neatly.

clutch is not a big issue either, a 206 or similar clutch master can be used in a modified pedal box, and the pipework made to suit, a 406 D9/C5 slave cylinder is ideal.

no bulkhead mods, no twatting of subframe (can tell you have experience of farm engineering :p ) but cutting and strengthening to clear the diff casing.

as for chassis leg, probably given the proximity of the 5 speed unit to the leg, though I havent remembered to look at the end casing of any 6 speed car I've worked on to see if it would fit.
Thanks given by:
So all in all a big challenge and use of many parts for an extra gear, might just stick with the 5 speed box then
Thanks given by: