Engine cover securing cap alternatives?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine cover securing cap alternatives?
I'm down to zero now.

Those stupid little twist-fit caps which secure the engine cover on (only they don't, cos they work themselves loose) have now all vacated my engine bay.

There are several 'kits' on eBay ranging from £7 for a pattern part set of 4 up to a frankly fuckwit-only purchase of around £20 for some nuts and bolts.

Does anyone know what thread these are, what the thread length / spacer size is and what the diameter of the hole in the engine cover plastic is?

I would measure it, but I don't have my car today.

Thinking this could be done incredibly cheaply, given how cheap stainless steel fasteners are.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I've got a set on my Cabby which i bought of Ebay
Just the standard replacements, and at 1st did have a couple come of but then i had a close look at the bit that bolt to the engine and the little cut outs for the spring clip to sit in was not as bit as it should have been so got a Stanley blade and made the slots a little bigger
Took the engine cover off loads of times now without losing the round clips
So i'd say just get the standard replacements and just trim the bits a little and all should be good
Thanks given by:
There a m6 fitting. You could get some m6 stud cut to size and then adjust the height of the cover with a nut under the it. To secure the cover you could use a wing nut or because you like RC stuff, drill a hole in the side of the stud and use an R clip.
Thanks given by:
Use four m6 rubber exhaust bobbins. Cheap and simlple
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Bin the cover i think is the best option IMO
Thanks given by:
Yea but I have precious little ears fella, can't be dealing with the rattle rattle.

Straight-thru exhaust did you say? lol

The HDi engine cover should help to dampen the noise a little bit. Especially from those injectors, tick tick tick!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Piggys idea looks the best, can get some pretty coloured dome nuts to go ontop then.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The cover does make a noticeable difference to noise tbh! With that, a full bonnet carpet and a good undertray the noise is significantly lower! Smile

As for the clips, I realised I'd been fitting them wrong for years! They twist off, but just push on! Id been twisting both ways so they weren't sitting properly....oops. Having now realised how they fit, I haven't lost a single one since. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I broke two in 9 years and never lost one. I dont understand how people manage to fit them badly..
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I use nice big R clips on mine, none have ever come off
Thanks given by:
Renault exhaust bobbins are the way forward: (Similar to these.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-HDI-Engine...1058534160

Got them on my 406 HDi.
Thanks given by:
I cheaped out in the end and bought some pattern part replacements. Just too lazy haha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scangauge 2 & Other Alternatives td163 10 1,927 31-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Last Post: tigerstyle
  Engine cover pins Hdi and proud of it 11 3,964 24-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Engine cover cpikey316_ 2 1,132 26-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_