Nearly charged 309 GLX Special Equipment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly charged 309 GLX Special Equipment
Another little update here. Yesterday was the day of the front GTI subframe build and swap. Freshly rebuilt front subframe consisted of stripping and re painting, new 309 GTI wishbones, OEM anti roll bar bushes, new drop links and shiny new high tensile bolts.
To be truthful, the job was a complete doddle! I allowed around 4 hours to build the subframe, remove the old one, replace with new subframe and get it all set up and driving. Took about 2 hours including building the new one first which wasn't bad going I thought.
I have however found out my gear linkages are absolutely fudged! As is my rear engine stabilising mount Sad they will be replaced some this coming week.
Anyways here's just a few little piccys of the job itself.
[Image: aebd93c1bc35557e450223625f3a67f7.jpg]
Old nasty grimey one out! Can you tell it's got an oil leak though..really :p
[Image: 484f5c902cd90dc18898948d0882ef7b.jpg]
New one going in, literally fell into place!
[Image: 7d4ddc17e6771e9e0044ecfd04530388.jpg]
Excuse the dirty old mess that is the underside of my car. It'll be looking lovely soon Wink
[Image: 610c6b4fe7a7d9bf1dccf86268ac4081.jpg]

That's about it for the moment. I'm STILL waiting to receive my manifold back from TIG welding which isn't good as its been gone over 2 months!
Thanks given by:
Looking good dan. You still need to man up and get that new engine in it though! Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Nice progress mate. You've been a busy boy!

As above though, all this work is pointless whilst the wrong engine is still in it :p
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Still waiting for the manifold though so I can't do much till then Sad as soon as I've got that, mounting plates etc will be made...things will be painted...a few more things will be purchased and it will be full steam ahead Wink

Also...my sump plug won't undo :p haha
[Image: 00cd7f53afd3452b4b1b5fef89f74eb4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Haha that looks like its had better days. Weld a nut onto it?

What manifold you waiting for? The inlet?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Its a brass plug Sad gonna just unbolt the sump and either drill it out or just put a new one next to it :p

Yeah Inlet. I cut and shortened it but unfortunately lack the equipment to weld it Sad
Thanks given by:
Only just found this thread after seeing the car at ace! Brilliant work. Massively jealous :/
Thanks given by:
Excellent project 

There's nothing like a retro pug
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2015, 09:41 AM)PUGNUT_XS Wrote: Excellent project 

There's nothing like a retro pug

I agree. lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah they're okay I suppose [emoji14] toying with the idea of selling it at the moment....

Anyways, done a little bit lately on the engine.
Been busy mounting the Supercharger to the XU7JP4 lump, which will hopefully have a GTI-6 head and cams on it soon too. The setup still needs minor adjustment as the charger is bound to slip on boost. Got a idler pulley from a Ford Puma going on it to take up some of the slack and put more tension on the charger pulley.
A few pics of the engine so far, after eventually working out how I was going to mount the bastard!

[Image: 8263caff236a9c91159ba4445e91ab65.jpg]

[Image: 4fb184d92d67d2fe3ba4109b69a5d57b.jpg]

[Image: 378d77a6dcef743022f3a8dbeed835a6.jpg]

Also picked up a Frankenstein exhaust off eBay which requires a few bit of welding and altering but never the less should do the Job Smile
[Image: daa51d4ac9696f3e0c4f2120f3e0938e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
These are nice theres an old biddy lives near me with a bright red one.

I think its a XUD its deffinately a diesel always garaged, and she only drives 3 miles on a wednesday and saturday into town.
Thanks given by:
Supercharger setup looks bloody epic

Are going to run aftermarket management?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Ive been waiting for you to update this for ages Big Grin
If you like, you can have my old charger to make a good one out of the two?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
don't you dare sell this! get the charger on! epic retro sleepers are the king kong!
Thanks given by:
Loving the progress dude. Hurry up and get it on the road already! :p

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
1.8 fwend! Good progress!
Thanks given by:
I have a spare XU7 Engine if anybody is interested.

The block is stripped but the head is complete, it came out of my project car if anybody is interested. Its coverd 106,000

No sensible offers refused

(07-01-2015, 05:01 PM)PUGNUT_XS Wrote: I have a spare XU7 Engine if anybody is interested.

The block is stripped but the head is complete, it came out of my project car if anybody is interested. Its coverd 106,000

No sensible offers refused

To add to that it is the later version of the XU7 with the single bolt cam pullys
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
So a little more progress has been made. Lately I've been trying with the idea of selling the car and getting something more luxurious for a daily driver. At the same time I don't want to give up as I like a challenge. So I've carried on with some engine bits. Also got a set of injectors which will cope happily with the power.

First up I cleaned the engine up, and got it looking all pretty
[Image: ba618ea6e6f7f4e549a5b91b6ff75f8d.jpg]
[attachment=21895]

Then painted it all so it looks ultra awesome to make up for its lack of power [emoji106]
[attachment=21896]

After the engine, mountings and ancillaries were dry i popped it all back together. Also heat wrapped the exhaust manifold. Not 100% happy with how it looks at the collector but it's not like anyone will see it. Found it best to soak the heat wrap I'm a bucket of water as you use it. Makes it far more useable.
[attachment=21897]

Unfortunately the rear coolant transfer pipe hit the manifold as they always do when fitting a GTI manifold, so I modified that slightly by removing one of the crappy angles from it, and rotating the 180degree rubber pipe so they both cleared the manifold
[attachment=21898]

Once that was done, fitted the charger etc and remembered I'd forgotten to allow for an idler pulley to remove some slack as Nial kindly reminded me [emoji13] so off came the fresh paint and out came the welder (again) too make a bracket which would bring the pulley inline with the rest of the belt etc. The idler itself is apparently off a Ford Puma. All I know is it works (for the moment) which I'm happy with.
[attachment=21899]
[attachment=21900]

I've also got a price from the guys at Megasquirt for a built ECU which if all goes to plan (and if I keep the car) I'll be ordering next month. After that it's a fuel pump and housing to buy and that's pretty much me ready to go [emoji133]
Thanks given by:
Awesome work ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: