Turbo talk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo talk.
Had 3 306s in the past but never really played with the turbos. I understand that a lot of people gearbox mount for big power which to be fair is a bit out of reach for me atm. Maybe next year. My first one ran a bosch pump and a t2 turbo. I have no idea about what turbos fit straight on. Ie down in standard position. I'm moving the bosch soon and want to change turbo as well. How do I tell which one I have and what ones are interchangeable ideally I'd like to run a t2 again. Ps I know it's not a t2 already but don't know what one it is.

Pictures of turbos would be helpful as well. Smile in sure some people want to show theirs off. Wink
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Is it still a Garrett turbo or one of the kkks. Im also interested in running an over gearbox turbo but what are the implications of this. Do you lose a bit of power cause of the long pipe? And has anyone got a guide of how they're done it.
Thanks given by:
You can get a fairly huge vnt turbo down the back if you want, Dave did

Gearbox mounting will increase lag, no doubt.

T2 and K14 share the same exhaust manifold, as do the Ko3 and gt15 - thats it for standard bolt up turbos

Td04 has to be the easiest cheapest route for a newbie as there are adaptor plates knocking around that make it bolt straight up, and you can pick up the turbos for peanuts.

Otherwise go for a more modern gt20 wastegated or vnt, should be pretty epic and not too hard to knock up some adaptor plates if you've got some patience and some basic tools.
Thanks given by:
So the td04 will quite happily sit down the back of the engine? I'm not looking for anything huge as this is my daily/family car. Maybe a track car later down the line I could go for big power. Thanks for clearing up which turbos share manifolds. Searching turbo variations and various other bits in the search bar was really tedious as everyone had done something in every thread. I still need to figure out what turbo I have on mine though as I'm not sure. Anyone got pictures of various turbos to identify? Or would it just be easier for me to take a picture of mine?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Standard turbos;

T2
K14 - identified as it doesn't have a wastegate with an actuator arm, all the other standard turbos do.
GT15
K03

Upgraded with either adaptor plates/ new oil lines/ fabricated downpipe etc;
TD04
T25
GT2052s
GT2056s
GT20 VNT's

Those ^^^^ have all been fitted down the back of the engine by various people on the forum. There isn't much need to gearbox mount most of the turbos you would want to fit to a 306 unless you want to go massive and/ or compound.
Ease of changing is one reason to gearbox mount it.
Thanks given by:
Its pretty much easier for me to remove my engine if I want to look at the VNT down the back, but the primary blower takes all of 2 minutes to remove Big Grin If you move the blower further down towards the driveshafts you can fit a turbo the size of a football down there. Remember the block sits at 60 degrees so the lower you go down the more space.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 08:25 AM)anto Wrote: Standard turbos;

T2
K14 - identified as it doesn't have a wastegate with an actuator arm, all the other standard turbos do.
GT15
K03

TD04
T25
GT2052s
GT2056s
GT20 VNT's

Those ^^^^ have all been fitted down the back of the engine by various people on the forum. There isn't much need to gearbox mount most of the turbos you would want to fit to a 306 unless you want to go massive and/ or compound.

If the k14 is identified as not having a waste gate arm how are the others identified.
Ps great info.
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 12:24 PM)tombarnard1989 Wrote:
(16-04-2014, 08:25 AM)anto Wrote: Standard turbos;

T2
GT15
K03

TD04
T25
GT2052s
GT2056s
GT20 VNT's

If the k14 is identified as not having a waste gate arm how are the others identified.
Ps great info.

They have wastegate arms lol

From memory the K03 has an arm with 2 10mm nuts on it plus itl say KKK in a triangle formation on the compressor housing.
The T2 and GT15 have one 10mm nut on the arm and a circlip to hold the wastegate flapper.
If you have a Phase 1 or early to mid Phase 2 itl most likely be either K14 or T2.
A late Phase 2 ie late 98/ 99 model will have the GT15 or K03, although that isn't gospel.
Thanks given by:
Great information just what I was looking for. I'll take a look in a little bit and take a picture of what I can see. Although I might have time tomorrow to out it up on ramp and take a look.

Ps I've only ever seen t2s on phase ones which is why I thought I didn't have a t2. Haven't taken a look yet
Thanks given by:
Just remembered the GT15 has a 10mm nut and a knurled thumbturn wheel to adjust the tension on the arm.
Thanks given by:
Do any of you gents know wether the stud pattern of the t2 is the same as the k14?
Thanks given by:
Says on first page.
Thanks given by:
Cheers. I'm so blind...
Thanks given by:
Right I wonder if anyone can identify this turbo couldn't really see any real markings apart from garret [attachment=15699][attachment=15700]

Think it might be a t2 or k14. It has one nut on actuator shaft with what appears to be a manual turn wheel.

Can't really see it well though it's dark without camera flash
Thanks given by:
Gt15 judging by the actuator in the second pic
Thanks given by:
Not even a close guess then, I should really look at information more before I take a shot....

Also your previous comment anto that I missed. So I'll be upgrading the turbo at some point
Thanks given by:
Not a k14 oil feed is wrong.
Thanks given by:
Defo GT15, you can tell by the angle of the outlet of the turbo and that actuator rod.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Now I've just got to choose a replacement.......
Thanks given by:
Right I might be scrapping other half's turbo diesel. Anyone know what turbos they fitted in them? Is it worth a look to maybe upgrade mine. Same set of turbos fitted to the xud7 as the xud9?
Thanks given by:
Itl be a k14 or a T2.
Thanks given by:
So ive been offerd a t3 for basically a beer. Thooughts on them???
Thanks given by:
Most likely too big in honesty... Big A/Rs generally, old design, it'll spool so slow it'll make for a horrific drive... Much better for cheaps out there IMHO.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Fair play just thoygh id ask due to lying about in mates garage. Will probaly get sonething else pop up at sone point on my travels anyway
Thanks given by:
Right so pugmanxud is kindly giving me his k14 manifold oil.lines etc off a 205 xud7. People reckon it will be a striaght swap?? I cant see it being that diffrent?
Thanks given by:
Anyone know? Xud7 and xud9 heads the same manifold bolt pattern?
Thanks given by:
They are the same, yes.
Thanks given by:
Get T3 and gearbox mount it...use k14 to spool T3.

Buy new tyres each month lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Awesome and glad they are the same means I can replace it this week. Smile im happy with the tune atm as its just a daily commuter. Oce our minis done ive got a ninja project planned
Thanks given by:
Right people hate starting a new thread for no apprent reason. Ive got a ko3 on the new motor. Minimal shaft play. Thoughts on these? I also have a k14 lying about but tbh dont think its worth the hassle
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talk exhaust.... blinkyeatu 20 4,048 24-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: 306pc
  Turbo talk Danny2009 6 1,518 16-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Last Post: ADV_93
  Turbo talk David 43 10,841 11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Ruan