Td04 hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Td04 hdi
Has anyone used a td04 on a hdi before or know of any pros or cons any help would be wicked cheers
Thanks given by:
Yeah, there was a bloke that mounted it sideways on the gearbox and made 50bhp. Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
What 50hp extra?
Thanks given by:
Nope, 50bhp total lol. He made a really bad job of the install, then when we tried to point out issues insisted his mechanic knew what he was doing and we were just jealous, or some similar crap.

Properly set up it would be fine, td04s are a bit old-tech though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
What turbo upgrade is there then for hdi?
Thanks given by:
Anything you can make fit and will spool in good time, gt17/20/22, td04/05, k03s/k04, vf36/37/42, etc etc. All depends what you want from it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Direct fit if possible maybe exhaust down pipe change but just seeing if it's an easy possible upgrade. Just more power than the standard don't know if this will happen but just seeing my options if standard one goes.
Thanks given by:
None then lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 05:54 AM)Poodle Wrote: Nope, 50bhp total lol. He made a really bad job of the install, then when we tried to point out issues insisted his mechanic knew what he was doing and we were just jealous, or some similar crap.

Properly set up it would be fine, td04s are a bit old-tech though.

What so you mean by old tech pal and there is so many diffrent ones does anyone no one to go for to work well with a hdi ?
Thanks given by:
My advice:

Go find a Diesel engine which is similar in size and makes around the power you want to make - nick the turbo off it and you should be good for another bit ontop of the standard figure...

For example - admittedly a VNT, I chose a GT2052V, makes 163hp in standard trim on a 2.5 litre engine, made 175hp on mine with no sweat at 20psi.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Old tech means just that - the technology is out of date. The design of most td04s is what, 20 years old now..? The newer equivalent will be much more efficient - able to flow more, lower boost threshold, less lag, etc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have mapped 2 td04 HDis, and to be honest they go really well.

My only criticism would be, high boost threshold, don't come alive until about 2500rpm. But when they do, they are right enough!

As poodle says, old tech. You'd make more power, with a lower threshold and less lag on a newer turbo.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Ye nice one lads I'm going to have a look around for a decent turbo may even go hybrid route with my standard gt15 anyone been that way and how is it to map after cheers?
Thanks given by:
Hybrid is an awful way to go imo. The main problem on the gt15 is the restrictive exhaust side, doesn't make any sense to keep the restrictive bit on the exhaust then pump even more air through the inlet, it'll just make the problems worse.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok bigger it is then haha

Would somthink like this be good start and also the down pipe looks the same probs not but looks pretty similar ebay number 111327954646 could sombody have a look for me and see if I'm heading in the right direction please?
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 06:29 PM)Poodle Wrote: Hybrid is an awful way to go imo. The main problem on the gt15 is the restrictive exhaust side, doesn't make any sense to keep the restrictive bit on the exhaust then pump even more air through the inlet, it'll just make the problems worse.

This is not necessarily true, a hybrid gives you all the benefits of standard position, standard intake etc and easy fitting. The restrictive bit of a gt15 or ko3 for that matter is the size of the exducer on the turbine and in the hotside casting, with a hybrid you are milling this out to make it much bigger and allowing loads more flow through it.

So I wouldnt say they are a terrible way to go by any means, most turbos in existance are hybrids of different parts to suit different applications for car manufacturers.
Thanks given by:
With a hybrid you are milling the exducer outlet/housing, what about the rest of the exhaust housing? It's all designed to create a low boost threshold (aka low flow and high restriction) on a 90bhp engine, but we're pumping out anythimg up to 170 on a stage 2. Personally I think there are better solutions than trying to bodge a different exhaust turbine into a housing its not designed for and then turning the boost up, all of which is going to exacerbate issues with back pressure. Ease of installation is no benefit at all when the time spent rebuilding the turbo is fairly similar to what it'd take to adapt a better suited one... But that's all just my opinion. Smile

Donkeybubles, iirc that is a k03s so should be pretty ideal if you're stopping this side of 200bhp.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok that's sound poodle I think I'm looking at to try and and get around the 200 mark if possible so should just be ok to use a ko3s?
Thanks given by:
If you're going that far i'd suggest finding something a bit bigger tbh, but it should do the job.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 05:42 AM)Poodle Wrote: With a hybrid you are milling the exducer outlet/housing, what about the rest of the exhaust housing? It's all designed to create a low boost threshold (aka low flow and high restriction) on a 90bhp engine, but we're pumping out anythimg up to 170 on a stage 2. Personally I think there are better solutions than trying to bodge a different exhaust turbine into a housing its not designed for and then turning the boost up, all of which is going to exacerbate issues with back pressure. Ease of installation is no benefit at all when the time spent rebuilding the turbo is fairly similar to what it'd take to adapt a better suited one... But that's all just my opinion. Smile

Donkeybubles, iirc that is a k03s so should be pretty ideal if you're stopping this side of 200bhp.

What do you think turbo manufacturers do Wink that area is not a restriction for us.
Any hybrids on the forum, like mine jp etc have all made good, reliable power with no lifter or emp issues
Thanks given by:
I'm having this problem aswell of What turbo to use(not stealing your post) I just want people's views on what they think of doing
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 11:25 AM)HDi--Power Wrote:
(17-04-2014, 05:42 AM)Poodle Wrote: With a hybrid you are milling the exducer outlet/housing, what about the rest of the exhaust housing? It's all designed to create a low boost threshold (aka low flow and high restriction) on a 90bhp engine, but we're pumping out anythimg up to 170 on a stage 2. Personally I think there are better solutions than trying to bodge a different exhaust turbine into a housing its not designed for and then turning the boost up, all of which is going to exacerbate issues with back pressure. Ease of installation is no benefit at all when the time spent rebuilding the turbo is fairly similar to what it'd take to adapt a better suited one... But that's all just my opinion. Smile

What do you think turbo manufacturers do Wink that area is not a restriction for us.
Any hybrids on the forum, like mine jp etc have all made good, reliable power with no lifter or emp issues

Have you ever measured emp or monitored whether you're having valve spring issues, or monitored exhaust gas temperatures or are you just living in ignorant bliss... Sounds to me like you haven't by your lack of knowledge...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2014, 12:06 PM)Ruan Wrote:
(17-04-2014, 11:25 AM)HDi--Power Wrote:

Have you ever measured emp or monitored whether you're having valve spring issues, or monitored exhaust gas temperatures or are you just living in ignorant bliss... Sounds to me like you haven't by your lack of knowledge...

Yes I have and they havent come anywhere near danger levels even under sustained load. I also have many ko3 housings from various size ko3's and they are exactly the same as the baby ko3 on standard 306 with regards to the inducer side, the exducer side is the variation, which explains why hybrids work so well.

They may not if the inducer side is alot smaller but it depends how the manufacturer makes its turbos and the design differences, but there is not need for the attitude Wink
Thanks given by:
Well, you're not actually giving any figures for peak EMP nor EGT, when you push boost levels, especially with smaller turbines, coming from HDis which were designed in the first place to have low boost thresholds at 90hp, I fail to believe that EMPs are not going to be pretty extreme running greater than 20lbs of boost...

You say that the K03 housings are identical...

This turbine:

http://www.reman-tec.com/replacement-tur...3-120-5015

Won't fit inside a turbine housing for this wheel:

http://www.reman-tec.com/replacement-tur...3-120-5023

You're the one giving this attitude of "I've done it myself" and have given no actual figures of what you've found - if you actually gave some hard facts, then we can all make an informed decision. Rather than "I've done it and nothing came close to being damaged" - that's totally useless and leads me to instantly think you haven't actually measured it...

Your quote of "Have come nowhere near danger levels" - one mans "danger levels" are totally different to anothers...
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2014, 10:18 AM)Ruan Wrote: Well, you're not actually giving any figures for peak EMP nor EGT, when you push boost levels, especially with smaller turbines, coming from HDis which were designed in the first place to have low boost thresholds at 90hp, I fail to believe that EMPs are not going to be pretty extreme running greater than 20lbs of boost...

You say that the K03 housings are identical...

This turbine:

http://www.reman-tec.com/replacement-tur...3-120-5015

Won't fit inside a turbine housing for this wheel:

http://www.reman-tec.com/replacement-tur...3-120-5023

You're the one giving this attitude of "I've done it myself" and have given no actual figures of what you've found - if you actually gave some hard facts, then we can all make an informed decision. Rather than "I've done it and nothing came close to being damaged" - that's totally useless and leads me to instantly think you haven't actually measured it...

Your quote of "Have come nowhere near danger levels" - one mans "danger levels" are totally different to anothers...

Ok I have dug out my testing files for a nosey, the egt in normal spirited driving doesn't exceed 850 degrees, and peaked at a smidge under 900 in a 5th gear flat out sustained run on the motorway, which would really be the highest possible temp really and the emp peaked around 1.5 -1.7bar but generally ran lower under normal conditions and didn't overtake the boost levels.
Granted different people do have different danger levels but from my research around 950 degrees is where this turbine hits issues under sustained load

And i'm not saying ALL k03 housings are identical but on many the critical sizes are. I also cant see why that turbine wont fit in the housing you have listed? Dimension A is the one dimension that matters with a hybrid? you are milling out the housing to accept dimensions B and C, that's the point of a hybrid, so the larger turbine you have listed would be a perfect candidate for a hybrid of the smaller one?

All you have done there is back up my point that the inducer sizes are the same on many K03s........
Thanks given by: