Spray paint problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spray paint problems
Im trying to tidy my boot badge up a bit, as it was proper ropey to start with, and i rubbed it down and sprayed it China blue to match my old car (some of you MAY remember the thread i posted about it). China blue was looking a bit rough on the Diablo, so off it came again to receive a new coat of paint. Ive also sprayed the lion gloss black, but you cant see that in the pic. Im having an issue with the paint "crazing" or cracking as its drying. Its going on fine, im not doing anything different to how id usually spray, but never had this problem before.

Heres the pic to explain:

[Image: IMG_20120320_144447.jpg]

The badge was giving a good rubbing down with 80 grit sandpaper to start with to remove the majority of the old paint, then worked my way up to 600, didnt see the point of going much finer than that as its only a small boot badge, a few imperfections i can live with, but THIS?! Confusedhock:

Any help will be repped.......oh wait, guess itll just be appreciated then. lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's had a really thick coat of paint?

Either that or you're not leaving it long enough between coats imo.

Start again and just give it dustings of paint, let it dry longer between coats too Smile
Thanks given by:
One of two things.....either too much paint in one go as JJ0063 said or the surface wasn't clean enough
Thanks given by:
JJ0063 Wrote:Looks like it's had a really thick coat of paint?

Either that or you're not leaving it long enough between coats imo.

Start again and just give it dustings of paint, let it dry longer between coats too Smile

I actually gave up waiting for a reply, as i want to get this done today, in the hope of applying my newly refurbed boot badge tomnorrow (once lacquer has cured a bit), and scraped the paint back off the badge, and your right, id managed to build up quite a thick coat. As said, scraped it all off and started again, and its looking much better now! Will get some pics up in my project thread when its finished. Big Grin

/thread Smile
Thanks given by:
Wont be a raised one but glapins ones look epic. Theyre domed vynal
[Image: IMG_20120306_141405.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I agree with 4way, got a galpin one on mine, looks better than standard!
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
a couple I've done recently.....

[Image: fEBRUARY2011075.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is mine now its finished:

[Image: CD43E6C9-orig.jpg]

And i did the bonnet badge as well, but for some reason (possibly the fact it was cold and wet the day i sprayed it in my mother-in-laws garage) the GLOSS black came out kind of satin. Gonna chuck a bit of lacquer over that today though, should bring it up to the shine that i was looking for:

[Image: 8F35A277-orig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Gloss black can be a bitch sometimes mate, I always use satin now then shine it up with a few coats of laquer....works a treat
Thanks given by:
gareth7 Wrote:Gloss black can be a bitch sometimes mate, I always use satin now then shine it up with a few coats of laquer....works a treat

Well, it was only £1 from poundland, so not too fussed really, the lacquer solved it, and now ive got a nice shiny gloss black bonnet badge. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
the dull finish in the black above is moisture in the paint IIRC due to painting when its too damp mate and the cracks in the fist pic are due to you putting on way too much paint, it looks like its been dipped in a pot of paint rather than sprayed lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wheel spray paint smithbomb 14 3,520 21-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap
  Yellow Ph.1 fogs spray/tint vandalzd 2 1,495 07-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Last Post: vandalzd
  Badge Re-spray Nathan1305 35 8,898 30-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305