HDI help...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI help...
.. hi guys hope someone can point me in the right direction here..

Im new to HDI's and just bought a decent 2nd, sorted everything for the MOT and it *should* pass, as its an old motor its pretty dirty under the hood and im guessing the injectors, fuel filters etc are in need of a good scrub too, Is it a wise idea to start cleaning everything? Gonna bang some millers in the tank as I understand its a good move but could you guys suggest some basic engine overhaul tips to get it running tip top? Its already running pretty well but has a couple of niggles:

1) Engine management light is permanently on but there appears to be no running issues

2) Car doesn't fire up first time, key needs to be turned on full and it tick over a handful of times before it fires (Engine has been chipped so im informed and i read somewhere on here that the ECU may need remapping back to factory then remapped again? or maybe leaking injector?)

3) When it does fire up there is a strange rattle/clunk/knock sound from the back(guessing its the exhaust? - not a biggie but a little unnerving as it sounds like something going to fall off!)

4)Clutch is quite stiff on the bite , not sure thats usual but my old 306 had a similar issue then the clutch went... (gears slipped before this tho, my new 306 gears are ok)

5) Gearbox seems to be quite clunky (I ran a petrol 1.8 306 for 12 months and there was a similar issue there was no gearbox oil! maybe its just a diesel thing and i have to get used to it??)

Any help appreciated!

Cheers Amigos!
Thanks given by:
Quite a list there! Don't bother with injector cleaner or the like, it doesn't do anything, do more good to give it a good rev to the redline now and then. Wink

1) Need the code read and cleared really, could be anything!

2)Could be a number of things - possibly fuel pressure related, diagnostic check should show this as well.

3) Theres not much at the back, it probably is just the exhaust, check the rubber mounts are intact and might wanna give it a shake when its cold, just make sure its not about to fall off lol.

4) HDi clutches are stiffer than 1.8 ones, even when new due to their larger size and heavier duty springs for the extra torque. It's also to do with the clutch cable drying out, and the fork bushes wearing - both are cheap to replace, but not quick/easy!

5) The gearboxes are quite clunky, but the same in the 1.8 and the HDi near enough....check it's got enough oil tbh.
Thanks given by:
Where are you based? Could be somebody nearby to get it on diagnostics for you, preferably do a run with live data.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
cheers lads, im in West Yorkshire so will have a scout around for someone with diagnostics, i think there is a small private garage up the road from me that does Pugs so will check him out
Thanks given by:
i am in sheffield so if you are close to me you can pop round and i can have a look at it, got all the diag tools so i should be able to fined it.
Thanks given by: