gearbox leak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gearbox leak
After changing the clutch today on my w reg hdi, there now seems to be an odd oil leak from the gearbox. Oil is seeping from between the gear housing and bell housing (where the fly wheel is).We've looked and looked again, drying it off each time but seems to be coming from the same area. Is there a gasket/seal/plate between these?
2000 2.0 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Sounds very much like your crankshaft oil seal is leaking,when i change the clutch on my cars over the years i have always replaced this seal as its a 2 minute job and saves a lot of time,as you are finding out.
Thanks given by:
Would crank shaft seal let engine oil through? This is fresh gearbox oil
2000 2.0 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Pen shows where its dropping from...

[Image: DSC_0192.jpg.html]
2000 2.0 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I can't see your image, seems to not be working.

Seconded on the driveshaft seal. It can leak and run down to the area you are describing if you catch the seal with the shaft on insertion (giggedy)
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
[Image: jahugu4y.jpg]

Heres the pic, the driveshaft seals are perfect nothe coming through, its where the gearhousing meets the bellhousing a slight wisper, im hipung its not the input shaft seal as it wasnt replaced Sad due to the slector arm being a bastard to remove
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
The input shaft seal rarely fails. It is normally one of the driveshaft seals. Either way, that will not be engine oil there. It looks as if the oil has run down from the driveshaft to the lowest point, where your pen is. The route it has taken could have been through the join making it appear to have leaked from there.

Give it a good clean and have a watch Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
We have and its defo not the DS seal. It just seems to seep through the join
2000 2.0 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Drip update... its got some drips underneath but its not a river down the drive lol. Also, no drips from off the lowest point under the flywheel where that thin plate is if that makes sense.
2000 2.0 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of a leak to be a concerning boost leak? MY95 27 3,990 14-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Midnightclub
  Gearbox Oil leak LewisG 8 1,679 23-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane