How do people live with solid engine mount

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do people live with solid engine mount
I was replacing my lower engine mount and decided to go with a 90 degree rotation using an oem mount to stiffen things up a bit, I lasted 1 day before going back to the workshop pressing it out again and back to standard configuration!
It ruins the car, dash feels like it wants to jump into your lap Confused all refinement gone and for what I could see no gains in response or gearchange?
I can only imagine what a baker BM mount is like Dodgy
Thanks given by:
it's more a petrol thing the solid mounts thing ain't it? . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yes but alot of diesel heads seem to be trying them but I could not think of a worse mod for a diesel car!
Thanks given by:
f*ck refinement
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Running a powerflex and its fine with the idle raised.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've got a full set of baker BM mounts, you get used to it Smile just turn the music up and it's fine lol
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
I just done see the gains? The car is so quest and smooth without it and turns into a nasty shitebox when fitted, I can only imagine how horrible it is with all mounts almost solid
Thanks given by:
lol every 306 is a nasty shitebix anyway.

I have a billet aluminium lower engine mount. The throttle response is much more instantaneous and the on off throttle engine movement is far less, giving more predictable handling when entering and exiting corners.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
What????? Even the group N mounts arent bad once theyve soften up, you must be some sort of girl

(although girls and solid mounts often go well together)
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 04:30 PM)Grant Wrote: lol every 306 is a nasty shitebix anyway.

I have a billet aluminium lower engine mount. The throttle response is much more instantaneous and the on off throttle engine movement is far less, giving more predictable handling when entering and exiting corners.

^^^ this! Especially the first line Tongue
Thanks given by:
Had them on my rallye and loved them

As grant says makes throttle response better and more predictable on track.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
How can the throttle response possibly be improved on a fly-by-wire HDi? It must shake like buggery!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
My 2.1 at idle on powerflex is fine...little vibration, nothing to write home about
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 05:46 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: How can the throttle response possibly be improved on a fly-by-wire HDi? It must shake like buggery!

It does, but I noticed once I had them fitted it was a lot more responsive over previous and it has stiffened the front end up.
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 05:46 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: How can the throttle response possibly be improved on a fly-by-wire HDi? It must shake like buggery!

Its because when you put your foot down, the engine tries to turn on its mounts taking up some of the forward energy. Put it on solid mounts and it can't do that so that energy is being put through the box and wheels.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Tbh I wonder how people live with bucket seats, coilovers, straight through exhasts, stripped interiors etc etc..... But plenty do! lol
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 06:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Tbh I wonder how people live with bucket seats, coilovers, straight through exhasts, stripped interiors etc etc..... But plenty do! lol

Becauseracecar
Thanks given by:
Indeed. I prefer becausecomfortbalequietcar though. lol
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 06:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Tbh I wonder how people live with bucket seats

You need to come and sit in my buckets, uber comfort and with you being tall you'll like the seating position better.
Thanks given by:
vibratec lower mount on the 6 good upgrade Wink
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 08:02 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(12-04-2014, 06:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Tbh I wonder how people live with bucket seats

You need to come and sit in my buckets, uber comfort and with you being tall you'll like the seating position better.

Cant be worse than tw*tting my knees everytime I turn the wheel... lol

Though your's aren't the kind of buckets I meant anyway, I meant the solid ones with harnesses...
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 08:16 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(12-04-2014, 08:02 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Cant be worse than tw*tting my knees everytime I turn the wheel... lol

Though your's aren't the kind of buckets I meant anyway, I meant the solid ones with harnesses...

Your knees hit the wheel?! I fit in mine easily and comfortably and I'm much taller than you lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Not quite, theres a small gap, but my knees hit my hands when turning lol. I have long legs and short arms unfortunately! So have to sit close enough to reach the wheel, and far enough for leg room... In the Vectra this was fine with the wheel moving in and out as well as up and down....in 306s this isn't the case. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
3" dish wheel and a qr boss Wink you get used to what you drive, my wagons got fixed buckets, harnesses and uprated steady, coilovers, screamer pipe. Its fun so comfort doesnt matter so much. But its still confortable enough.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sat in my mate cobra suzuki seats and where definitely one of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2014, 06:02 PM)Niall Wrote:

Its because when you put your foot down, the engine tries to turn on its mounts taking up some of the forward energy. Put it on solid mounts and it can't do that so that energy is being put through the box and wheels.

& everything else unfortunately which can start causing other things to break in some cases if there are solid mounts all around.
If people can live with that it's fine, but you do need to check small components aren't getting cracks or snapping.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I still don't get 'the point' if it's on a diesel?

On a petrol engine it makes sense, power is on/off through bends and transferring less rotational energy through the chassis has to be better at the cost of more excessive vibrations. On a diesel though you have a set powerband and 'boost' which you only get when the engine is under load, so backing off the throttle you're immediately 'off-boost' and stamping on the loud pedal immediately after is not going to have the same effect as it would in a petrol, because there will be lag, then boost. If anything I would expect solid engine mounts on a diesel to make it less predictable and have exaggerated/jerky movement under throttle.

But prove me wrong!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2014, 10:14 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: But prove me wrong!

Yes, you are right. It will increase the engine vibrations and make it a less comfortable ride. So simply don't fit one to a car if you are going to use it as a daily and this will irritate you.

If you intend to use the car as a track toy, minimal engine movement it key. Note i did not say zero.

The lower engine mount in the 306's is not actually a 'mount' as such. It is a 'torque-stabiliser'. Meaning it prevents the engine from rotating on its axis under load. Uprating this mount will reduce energy lost under change in velocity, as Niall rightly states.

Admittedly, petrols will have a different torque curve to a diesel, that much is obvious, but there will still be a shift in engine weight under throttle actuation. This is what you want to avoid to attain more predictable handling characteristics.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Granted going from fecked mounts to a solidish one may yield results but for me going from a good mount being pressed in correctly to one in the more solid position did very little for gearchange, engine movement, power application all it did was make the dash want to release itself, handy perhaps for an upcoming heater matrix job? Big Grin not for much else though
Thanks given by:
I've driven a diesel with solid mounts and I agree it was pretty awful. Modifications are almost always a compromise, but solid mounts aren't worth it in my opinion.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 v6 engine mount spike2002 5 1,537 24-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Last Post: spike2002
  Best price on group N engine mount kit puglove 3 884 19-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Last Post: puglove