oem intercoolers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oem intercoolers
Hi ice had a good look through the forum and seams plenty of you guys have intercooled you hdi's and wondered what ome intercooler you lot have used and maybe ones to avoid anyway from just looking on ebay here are a few that I think could work so any input would appreciate

Mk1 focus intercooler

Mg zt 1.8 turbo intercooler both inlet and outlrt aee the same side

Saab 93 x flow intercooler
Thanks given by:
A lot on here seem to be universal although in thinking about a side mount from golf tdi. Measured up they fit directly behind where the front fog would sit on mine.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Not a hdi but I've used a megane r26 one on my gti. Fits very well but you so have to do some funky pipework with the left hand pipe. Probably a bit big for my car but would be ideal for a hdi.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I used a mk1 focus tddi on my xud
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think the pace ones for rs turbos look good and they come up for a decent price on ebay
Thanks given by:
i used a megane one on mine, pipe work fits really well
Thanks given by:
Have you got any pics matt
Thanks given by:
Have a look at my project thread, there's a few pics of the megane intercooler on mine and Matt's cars.

Iirc the focus cooler outlets are in the wrong place, same goes for the mg one. If the saab one is the big one then i've made one fit before, but it's pretty damn tight/untidy.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Surely the easiest way is fit the rad and intercooler off a 110 307 hdi with a map to suit then surely its just fit proper pipe work I know it wont be a 160 bhp monster but 140 should be fine????
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2014, 07:51 AM)tombarnard1989 Wrote: A lot on here seem to be universal although in thinking about a side mount from golf tdi. Measured up they fit directly behind where the front fog would sit on mine.

I was thinking of doing something like that. Let us know if you go ahead with it.

(07-04-2014, 05:01 PM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Surely the easiest way is fit the rad and intercooler off a 110 307 hdi with a map to suit then surely its just fit proper pipe work I know it wont be a 160 bhp monster but 140 should be fine????

I think the rad and IC are too tall to fit between the lower cross member and bonnet.

I've tried it with a 206, 406 and Xsara in a breakers yard.
Thanks given by:
Thats a shame as I want to keep the pipe work and install as neat and easy as possible
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2014, 05:36 PM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Thats a shame as I want to keep the pipe work and install as neat and easy as possible

Yeah I wanted an OEM looking setup. You can still do a tidy setup just need to plan it right and use the right diameter piping.
Thanks given by:
Just how much difference in speed is stage 2 to stage one as im not sure its worth the bother
Thanks given by:
Substantial difference, it's about 40-60 lb/ft of torque difference between S1 and S2
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Does it make the car unreliable? ?? Or is it just if the boost pipes pop off from poor fitting??
Thanks given by:
Depends how it's driven, it'll be producing 80% more bhp than standard, so if you drive it hard all the time it'll suffer and wear faster. As long as you bear in mind the restrictions of the engine you'll be fine though - in particular, don't rev it to the red line regularly or keep your foot to the floor for more than about 15 seconds at a time.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Im not sure its worth giving a car extra power if your not going to use it lol

Poodle is your 130 bhp deathtrap intercooled???
Thanks given by:
What's the best configuration for pipe routing anyway? I can't remember the last time I had my bumper off, but it seems pretty tight behind there. Would you want the connections at the outer edges (ie. so you'd need 90deg hoses at either end) or with the connections along one long edge? Because my old Focus had that setup and it was quite a compact IC.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2014, 08:25 AM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Im not sure its worth giving a car extra power if your not going to use it lol

It's all relative isn't it? I suspect that you'll find that the time that you actually spend at full revs/load is surprisingly brief and most driving will be at light load.

Providing that you maintain/service the car appropriately and drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy then I'm not convinced that a Stage 2 tune will cause any excessive wear and tear nor cause a healthy example to become unreliable.

What it will do however is highlight parts that are getting worn / tired and simply can't cope when asked to deliver so much above and beyond what the engine was designed/rated for - the youngest 306 HDi is now nearly 12 years old remember and most have well over 100k miles, often with patchy service history and penny pinching (if not neglectful) former owners.

The standard clutch is the well documented one, but you can potentially expect issues with the low pressure lift pump, the high pressure injector pump, and the turbo if they're tired. The engine itself seems to be pretty hardy at Stage 2 levels by all accounts, other than occasional valvetrain problems if exhaust pressure gets too high from pushing it too hard on the standard (restrictive) turbo.

Obviously a shoddy job fitting the intercooler will give issues with boost hoses popping off or leaking, but that can hardly be blamed on the car.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I've heard Meganne ones being used. I know Zakk (ozonehostile) is using dumdums old iveco intercooler.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
A few people have said about the megane intercooler I think truth be told you can make anything fit if u want but I want to keep it looking really neat so hopefully with enough research and planning I can get it spot on first timeish lol
Thanks given by:
Haha that megane cooler is getting popular now! Like you say, most things will fit if you're willing to cut enough holes in the metalwork and rearrange the whole engine bay, but it's a damn sight easier if you get something that fits well to begin with. Good sized and shaped oem intercoolers include the megane and iveco ones mentioned already, also the jag x-type is meant to fit well. Others i've spotted that might be about right are on merc sprinters, fiat scudos and VW LTs, but that needs some more research.

I'd argue that you shouldn't be allowed more power if you're going to use it 24/7. Wink

Mine is intercooled, but it's producing more than 130 now.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
[attachment=15127]

[attachment=15128]

Megane intercooler "pikey twin pass" fitted. Only had to take a notch out of the slam panel. Nothing else needed changing. Nice and easy to fit.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I think for the easiest piping route if both the inlet and outlet are the same side its got to be the way forward ???
Thanks given by:
That's generally considered the easiest way to do it, yeah.

In which case have a look at stuff like the kia sedona and mitsubishi 4x4 intercoolers, both would easily build a system where both pipes come through the passenger side. Or i seem to remember there's a huge one in the for sale section on here atm...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pug oem intercoolers lolsteve 24 6,774 29-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo