convert single optic stalk to a twin optic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: convert single optic stalk to a twin optic
Thought this maybe useful to some if...

a) you are fitting twin optic lights and are as tight as me and wont buy a different stalk

b) you have single optic lights, but want both main and dip to be on when you select main beam (some wouldn't recommend this, but I did it with my phase1 and nightbreaker bulbs and all was well for 4years or so)

c)you are fitting rallye blanks, thus want to use a single optic stalk which only has the rear fog light, found on rallyes and lots of Xsaras.

d) you have other plans, like me, for the fogs. thus want to use a stalk with only rear fog on, I found mine on a Xsara. But they are single optic

Tools/stuff required:

Small torx set, for removing cowling and stalk itself
Small screwdriver
Soldering iron/solder
Grease

Time taken: about 10-15mins

Step one
: remove stalk from car (I hope you dont need a pic for that!)

Step two: Remove the back of the stalk. this is the part that you put the plugs into. Need the thin screwdriver for this. Lever at the four tabs and it will pop off. Do this over some clean newspaper, in case anything pops out, there are some little tabs/springs

[Image: IMG_20140402_192654_zpse7e78b8b.jpg]

keep the back facing up at this point and make sure no lights are on, as this creates tension on the springs inside. Also worth prizing the two wires from the casing to give you some leeway

Step three:
Turn over the plug section you have just popped off and identify the 'break' in the circuit

This is the single optic board:

[Image: IMG_20140402_185429_zps25107ae0.jpg]

This is the twin:

[Image: IMG_20140402_185441_zpsc9d6da11.jpg]

Step four
: Using your little screwdriver, lever up the tabs which are not touching so that they are...they solder them together

its worth cleaning off the old dry grease at this point.

[Image: IMG_20140402_191044_zps76110e64.jpg]

Not the prettiest, but it works....you have to be careful not to melt the plastic by the way!!

Then finally regrease the runners etc, I used some white spray grease, and clip it back together Smile

Refit stalk and enjoy main and dip beam on when you select main beam Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Does it not strain the bulbs if your using H4 with both filaments in the one bulb?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2014, 08:51 PM)Tom Wrote: Does it not strain the bulbs if your using H4 with both filaments in the one bulb?

Duno...as said, did it for years on mine, still using those bulbs in the mrs car.
But this mod is generally for those with twin optic lights Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
good guide mate, will be useful for putting crystals on the Rallye
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2014, 10:41 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: good guide mate, will be useful for putting crystals on the Rallye

Smile

Its that sort of reason I thought people may find this useful Smile seems tight, but does save £20 maybe Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So sorted then fella Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by: