Belt Area Squeal - PAS Pump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt Area Squeal - PAS Pump?
Hi

So I have a really annoying squealing from the belt area....sounds like a squeaky old transit!

Changes with engine speed and there at idle so it can only be engine related.

Changed both tensioners for good ones.....but the noise is still there! Its there from idle, right round to the redline....and really irritating at motorway speeds...have to be over 3k to stop the injector tick but then get the squeal anyway haha.

Now when spinning pulleys by hand none actually make any noise. Confused Only thing I noticed was the PAS pump pulley is very slightly off square, and has a tiny amount of play in it. Not surprising given the mileage, but can this cause a squeal? Undecided Its not leaking, and the steering feels fine, not lumpy or anything.

I have one from a lower mileage engine, but don't want to go to the hassle of changing it if it's no chance of that making the noise.

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Knackered bearing on the pas pump by the sounds of it, could well cause a squeal with the engine running.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah ok, will swap it and see then! Smile
Thanks given by:
Ive got a smiliar sort of noise... sounds like a tensioner chattering... ive got rid of the guide pulley and put a new belt and auto tensioner on.. its quietened it down... but its still there on idle, tends to go away when applying a few revs... or It goes away with a spray of wd40, but comes back about a day later.. soooo annoying
Thanks given by:
Hmm, probably a different problem, mine gets louder with revs lol.

Out of interest, why did you get rid of the deflection pulley? Got rid of AC as well or?
Thanks given by:
Try lubricating the pulley at the bearing for starters, it might help determine if it's definitely that. Just be careful not to get any on the actual belt...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Yea got rid of a/c for fmic so put a different belt on...
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2014, 07:35 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Try lubricating the pulley at the bearing for starters, it might help determine if it's definitely that. Just be careful not to get any on the actual belt...

Good idea, hadn't thought of doing that! Smile

(02-04-2014, 07:48 PM)ct-hdi Wrote: Yea got rid of a/c for fmic so put a different belt on...

Ah right, makes sense! Thought about getting rid of mine tbh, it's not like it'll ever work again anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
I always thought the squeal on mine was the pas pump, it sorta came and went but drove me mad. It's only since changing the auto tensioner I haven't had it (touch wood)

I want to go FMIC in the summer, keen to know what space you gain from sacking off the AC pump? And what setup should you then run; HDi non-AC belt route or a custom route?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
6pk1180 gates belt, fits nicely without having to track down the non-ac arrangement.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
so is it possible to fit 6pk1180 gates belt and just remove the air con and its pulley??
Thanks given by:
Get a long screwdriver or extension bar something like that put it on every individual part while the engine is running you will hear what part is making the noise Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2014, 10:34 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: Get a long screwdriver or extension bar something like that put it on every individual part while the engine is running you will hear what part is making the noise Smile

I was JUST about to say the same thing.

Long thin bar of metal I always keep handy!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Breaker bar works a treat Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Tried that before without any luck, my hearing isn't great unfortunately.

However, I swapped the pump and all seems quiet.....well not quiet lol, but not squealy. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2014, 10:31 AM)pug306driver Wrote: so is it possible to fit 6pk1180 gates belt and just remove the air con and its pulley??

Yes. The belt routing has to change slightly, but it'll only go on one way so is easy enough to work out. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So, this is back squealing like a bitch again! Can't work out why it goes for a day or two when I change something then back again! Dodgy

Do you know what cars the 1180 belt comes on standard? Can't search ECP by belt size it seems.
Thanks given by:
http://www.gatesautocat.com/article/6PK1183/drive

Wink
Has this by any chance had a cam belt done recently? Sure the bottom pulley is back on securely and properly?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ah, cheers!

Yeah, this is C2Ks old'un, that I did the belt on a couple of weeks ago. Pulley is definitely on....wasn't torqued but gunned so should be tight enough tbh. Don't fogret its done moon milage though, so possibly AC pulley or alternator bearings failing I guess.
Thanks given by:
Always torque the crank pulley! Your oil pump is driven off the crank and the pulley for it is only kept in place by a tiny woodruff key. Considering you can be making 80psi plus at some points, that woodruff key won't hold it so the pulley is held by friction from the cambelt pulley which in turn is held by the crankshaft pulley.

Have a good look at all the pulleys. Could be that one has failed and is wobbling or isn't sitting right.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
How do you torque it when you're on your own though? My leg isn't quite long enough to hold the brakes on at the same time. lol

Already checked pulleys, only one that was wobbling a bit was the PAS pump....but that's been replaced now. Both tensioners have been replaced. Crank pulley is fairly new as the last one failed about a month before I bought the car. That only leaves alternator and AC tbh.

Only thing I haven't done is tried running without the aux belt. But don't want to find out its the HP pump that's squealing tbh lol. Confused That said, it stopped squealing when I sprayed WD onto the old PAS pump... Though I guess it could've splattered onto other pulleys, but obviously only on the aux side, which leads me to think it's not cambelt side.
Thanks given by:
There is a hole in the top of the box exposing the starter teeth on the flywheel. Put a pry bar or BFO flat head in there and make sure it stays there then torque it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Hmm, not sure I like the idea of a flat head snapping and leaving a lump stuck in the bell housing. Confused
Thanks given by:
Yeah when i say BFO, i mean like pry bar size. So may as well just use a pry bar lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The gap isn't that big tbh though? Or are you thinking of that big squarish plastic cover? That isn't there on HDi 'boxes...
Thanks given by:
Maybe try the 1173 i originally used years ago and everyone insisted was too tight?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That's 10mm different to the one I'm looking at....surely the tensioners cant take up that much slack?
Thanks given by:
mm. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That's what I wrote. Wink

Still seems a lot though, the tensioners don't move much lol.

On the subject of tensioners, has anyone found a good cheap place to buy them? Price seems to have shot up since I last bought one (18 months ago tbf!). Am only using good used atm, so could be one of them I guess.
Thanks given by:
Andrew Pages £30 near as damnit. ... that was for a dayco one.. I was convinced it was that on mine but was exactly the same on idle but better with a few revs... Does u'r noise go away with some revs on?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cost of Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement? JTaylor2005 7 2,511 12-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Best timing belt kit and water pump? JTaylor2005 13 3,268 23-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BiG K
  Squeal when turning wheel DTubZz 5 1,253 24-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Last Post: DTubZz