S16 exhaust options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 exhaust options
I've heard the gti-6 manifold doesn't fit for both width & port sizes...

Is this true? Is there advantage of upgrading over the standard exhaust?

What 'cheaper' options are there to upgrading the exhaust?
Thanks given by:
Your right the 6 manifold use's different port spacing and shape along with 1 stud being different too, Not allot can be done other than replacing the manifold as the cast iron one is restrictive coming from the old 1.9 base engine it was just done to be cheap at a guess. I do a 4-2-1 manifold for these but it's not cheap to the low demand of them at £400.00 in mild steel, Without knowing the spec of engine etc any gains are hard to say but with a basic tuned engine, T/B's, Reground cam's these see a good 10bhp gain along with mild range torque
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Ahh bugger lol
Is it a big job to port the head to fit or cut the welds and cut a new plate to fit?
I'm not looking at massive gains just (yet), I'm going to try and get my hands on a gti inlet, pop on a decat/less restrictive exhaust and an induction kit...
Thanks given by:
git gti6 engine, instant 12 bhp gain, and about 12 lbft.
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with the s16 inlet if it's all working correctly

Can do things like remove some material from the inner edges of the throttle body as there is a fair step down.

Match that to the diameter of the inlet manifold and the 8 inlet ports open out to the size of the gasket, all helps

As for a decat I had both a single type version and a twin pipe version, the twin was a Peugeot sport group a item and was far better than the sing he pipe version, either are hard to come by now though
Thanks given by:
You really need to remap it if fitting a 6 inlet the difference is that large, But the basic tuning is better than a 6 with Cams being a easy fit etc
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 06:54 PM)welshpug Wrote: git gti6 engine, instant 12 bhp gain, and about 12 lbft.

Not a massive option, had a spare engine for me previous pug but lost interest in that idea... Heard the s16 had better bolt on options so thought I'd get it for the long run...

(01-04-2014, 08:28 PM)swampy Wrote: Nothing wrong with the s16 inlet if it's all working correctly

Can do things like remove some material from the inner edges of the throttle body as there is a fair step down.

Match that to the diameter of the inlet manifold and the 8 inlet ports open out to the size of the gasket, all helps

As for a decat I had both a single type version and a twin pipe version, the twin was a Peugeot sport group a item and was far better than the sing he pipe version, either are hard to come by now though

Unfortunately the vacuum pipes snapped on the diaphragms, and it was an absolute b*****d trying to do things in the engine bay with such a large inlet, that was the main thought behind replacing to a gti manifold - I did love how it took off after 4k though..!!

I was going to port match & polish, the head & all manifolds are off - thought I'd dropped a valve...

What are other noticeable differences with driving does a gti vs s16 manifold have? Any mpg? If it's sucking half the volume of air does that make a difference?

You got any photos of the twin decat?

I'm tempted to by some mild steel and see if I can't rig a jig with my old manifold to make a custom branched one... Any comments haha

(01-04-2014, 08:34 PM)miles Wrote: You really need to remap it if fitting a 6 inlet the difference is that large, But the basic tuning is better than a 6 with Cams being a easy fit etc

Oh really!! Wow nice! Where can you remap a standard ecu or would I be looking at the omex/mega/emerald route?
Thanks given by:
The decat runs from the manifold join to the exhaust join replacing the cat.

Get your self a new pair of diaphrams and get them set up correctly it really is a fantastic inlet when it's all working correctly.

I don't think it's actually that much bigger than the gti6 item .
Thanks given by:
Ahh just looked at a few more photos and the black inlet looks deceivingly larger, think your right about the same size lol ... I'm tempted now, where can I get new diaphragms (and probably a new gasket) from?
You may hear from me about getting it working properly (saw your post about it!)

I've got a decat on my current pug but I was confused with the difference between a twin and single decat?
Thanks given by:
Diaphrams your looking at second hand or new from pug don't think any one else does them.

Inside the exhaust manifold and standard car pipe is a diveder, a single tube decat has this in aswell ( if you get a decent quality one) a twin tube is just that instead of a divider it has two tubes
Thanks given by:
I can't seem to get hold of any diaphrams. I rung peugeot last week and they said they can't get them anymore
Thanks given by:
Ahh bugger! I saw on service box they're £30 each as well ... Looks like I'll be trying to carefully prise and repair!
Is there a guide on diaphragm repair or shall I get my camera out?

Ahh I get you now swampy, can you remember how long the twin pipes were, I'm tempted to have a play at making a full system!
Thanks given by:
I was expecting them to be more that £30 tbh.

There was a magnex exhaust system on eBay a few weeks back with the twin pipe decat. Was brand new old stock. I wish I bought it really
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2014, 09:44 AM)Frosty Wrote: I was expecting them to be more that £30 tbh.

There was a magnex exhaust system on eBay a few weeks back with the twin pipe decat. Was brand new old stock. I wish I bought it really

you should of done, was by far the best thing i fitted to my s16

strutbaces are good aswell, really sort the front end out.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking it would go pretty cheap as not many s16 about. It went for £150 ish but I suppose that wasn't to bad as was brand new. Maybe kicking myself now Sad
Thanks given by:
Drop me the part number as I know someone who has a few contacts in Europe so if there are any he will find them,
The 6 inlet has longer runners over the S16 one which are short, Also the TB is allot larger too.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  exhaust options ? jjenn20 1 771 13-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Last Post: luke306rallye