Sound deadening a 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound deadening a 306
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+...747/p44914

It is pretty cheap...but them if im double layering might just come out at pretty much same price as silent coat
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(03-03-2013, 02:59 PM)lolsteve Wrote: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+...747/p44914

It is pretty cheap...but them if im double layering might just come out at pretty much same price as silent coat

A fair few people use the roofing flash band/flash tape in the mini scene, with some good results. The general consensus was that it's nowhere near as good as dynamat or silent coat but as a low cost basic vibration dampener it is useful. I remember reading that it should only be used on horizontal panels because in heat it can become unstuck. There was a guy who used it on his roof and it was nightmare as it fell off and came trapped behind his headlining, it's a big job to remove it on mini!

I'd consider using it in my floors and boot but not much elsewhere.
Thanks given by:
Great guide Niall!

I was very lucky to pick up over half a big roll of Cloud 9 this evening for just £10.

I'm going to get cracking on putting it to good use now! Smile
Thanks given by:
Which would you give greater priority to if you only had a finite quantity of Cloud 9 at your disposal?

Either, floor pan:
[Image: 08f989d3.jpg]

Or door card:
[Image: 80e9ed76.jpg]

PS: I have already fully dynamtted the inner door skin itself!
PPS: I also have a loud LongLife exhaus

So which did you find gave you the most significant results for you?
Thanks given by:
Scratch that! I've just got out the roll of Cloud 9 and measured it properly - I have 7.5 square metres. Looks like more than enough to do the whole car, twice! Anyone fancy any if I have some spare when I've finished?
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 10:19 AM)Josef Wrote:
(03-03-2013, 02:59 PM)lolsteve Wrote: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+...747/p44914

A fair few people use the roofing flash band/flash tape in the mini scene, with some good results. The general consensus was that it's nowhere near as good as dynamat or silent coat but as a low cost basic vibration dampener it is useful. I remember reading that it should only be used on horizontal panels because in heat it can become unstuck. There was a guy who used it on his roof and it was nightmare as it fell off and came trapped behind his headlining, it's a big job to remove it on mini!

I'd consider using it in my floors and boot but not much elsewhere.

I might use this stuff for the rover, as I don't really fancy adding more weight to it,
Thanks given by:
Would it be worth applying flashing tape to the floor first, before laying the Cloud 9?
Thanks given by:
(25-12-2011, 10:43 AM)Niall Wrote: The original deadening is crap to say the least but luckily it's not stuck down. Remove this and keep to one side.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257...f989d3.jpg[/img]

Replace carpet and interior as reversal of removal!

Niall, did you replace the original Peugeot OEM foam on top of the newly laid Cloud 9?

What did you do with it after you'd put it to one side?
Thanks given by:
Glad I read this. Few job for tomorrow. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So I got down to some sound deadening this weekend myself...

In addition to 11mm Cloud 9 all-round, I used some waterproof Cloud 9 'cush n wood' on the door cards. For the front footwells, I used both 11mm Cloud 9 with a layer of 4mm waterproof on top. For the boot, I used a layer of 11mm Cloud 9, with two layers of 4mm waterproof on top. Both the door cards and boot were already fully covered with Dynamat X-treme from my initial sound deadening attempts 10 years ago.

I then filled the rear quarters with expanding building insulation foam. This stuff is amazingly light - the same weight as those styrofoam packing chips. It expands nicely. I went for the Screwfix 'No Nonsense Expanding Foam Gun Grade 750ml' (code 87934) for £3.49, and the 'No Nonsense Foam Applicator Gun' (code 28483) for £16.19 (as I can sell the gun onwards to a mate who's a builder for £10). Filling both rear quarters thoroughly required around 1.5 of those 750ml cannisters. I'm going to fill the boot lid liner and A/B/C pillars with it next.

On the roof, underneath the 11mm Cloud 9, I laid with 6 sheets of Silent Coat undernearth - 3 in the front half of the roof and 3 in the rear half. The roof liner carpet only 'just' fitted back on, with some patient work. The silent coat is so much easier to lay with a hot air gun. I don't know how I managed the doors and boot without one before.

So with all the interior fittings back in, minues the rear seats and parcel shelf, I took her out for a drive, and the vehicle was noticeably quieter. Noticeably less general road noise. Markedly less exhaust sound from my LongLife decat. It's always even better with the rear seats in.

However, the main purpose of this sound deadening endeavour is to eliminate all rattles from my powerful subwoofer. I will have to wait to receive my amp bank from the Amp Doctor before I can report further on that. I will then see if filling all the plastic pillar and rear trim provides additional benefits.

Incidentally, I am now selling 75% of a roll of 11mm Cloud 9 (8.5m of a 15m roll remaining), with a few spare metres of 4mm waterproof Cloud 9 for your doorcards too. See here.
Thanks given by:
I have to say, the 11mm Cloud 9 in the front footwells has made the most noticeable difference during urban driving.

The throaty rasp of the HDi has been significantly dampened. It makes me want to get the dash out again and sound deaden the whole firewall now too!

The general floor pan and boot sound deadening has also significantly reduced the hum of the LongLife exhaust.
Thanks given by:
Did you use 11mm cloud 9 behind your door cards?

I tried this over the weekend and I couldn't get the card to pop back on. I tried trimming loads off but to no avail.

First go [Image: IMG_20131207_155332_zpsxaoycwus.jpg]

Trimmed second a temped
[Image: IMG_20131207_161710_zpszbqixjiv.jpg]
Thanks given by:
When i put the 11mm cloud 9 on the door cards, i attached it to the doorcard itself then refitted. I even manged to squeeze the cross over unit for my components up near the top of the handle.

As shown in pipps photo aboce
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How do the B Pillar trims come off?
I've got the bottom half of them off, but the top part with the slidy seatbelt adjuster? I'm stuck...
Thanks given by:
You pull the pull thing to adjust off then there is a t10 I think you need to unscrew and the whole thing comes off.
Thanks given by:
Anybody near Walsall fancy doing this anytime soon? Can get 15m2 of cloud 9 cirrus 9mm for £40 on ebay if anyone wants to split it and save some money?
Thanks given by:
This is very nice indeed, only problem is the wheight it adds to the car
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2014, 02:42 PM)dashmader Wrote: This is very nice indeed, only problem is the wheight it adds to the car

Thats the great thing about Cloud 9. Its really really light!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Where i can find info o this cloud 9
Thanks given by:
I used something called novostrat gold which you can see in my project thread, I've used maybe half the roll, and the whole roll can't weigh more than 1-2kg.
I have also very selectively used some silent coat which is weighty, but only sparingly to weight panels.

Total amount of weight added is probably not more than 10kg, considering I have no aircon, the car is still not heavy.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I did put my car today on a balance and i got almost 1150 kg and i think it is still heavy
Thanks given by:
Been decorating upstairs and ordered new carpets and saw this not long before ordering as I did a search for cloud 9 underlay and it came up in google search so just had to order loads extra to do the very same job! Whoop whoop!
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2014, 11:35 PM)dashmader Wrote: I did put my car today on a balance and i got almost 1150 kg and i think it is still heavy

As always, it is a compromise.
As mine is a daily driver, I'd rather have the extra 10kg and have much quieter motorway cruising, much clearer music, no rattling trim etc.

If it was a weekend car, that would be another matter.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2014, 02:49 PM)dashmader Wrote: Where i can find info o this cloud 9

Google maybe?
Thanks given by:
Got mine from onlinecarpets
Thanks given by:
Bit of a thread revival but there are more options than just Cloud 9.

I used 3mm Self-Adhesive under layer. The entire 10m2 roll weighs around 1-2Kg at most and is very cheap. It is a closed cell foam so it will not soak up moisture and being self-adhesive and only 3mm thick, it is very easy to use, cut, peel and stick...to pretty much anything. As a bonus as it is self-adhesive, it dampens the panels down really well and the adhesive itself is super-strong...it will NEVER come off, so be careful when installing. I've used it on the boot floor, roof and all door cards which has quietened down the car a LOT!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Underla...B00EZMXW8G
Thanks given by:
Yes, there are alternatives. I used laminate flooring underlay to fill voids and provide a barrier which weighs virtually nothing and is waterproof, along with silent coat to deaden panels to stop them resonating.

Project Thread
Thanks given by: