Clearing blocked sunroof drains

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearing blocked sunroof drains
I've been trying to clear a blocked sunroof drain on my P1. I've blasted compressed air down it, which came straight back past the gun, so I then removed the headliner and the tube from the sunroof and stuck the gun down the tube hoping to get a better seal and the air still came straight back out. Whatever is blocking it is really stuck in there. I've also tried one of those drain unblocker cable tube things and couldn't push whatever is down there through, it did go down a long way though, so I assume the blockage is crap getting into the bottom from the wheel arch end.

Are there any other good ways to unblock it? For example, is it easy to get at the drain in the wheel arch, and if so, where actually is it?
I've considered using bleach, mister muscle, boiling water etc. but I'm not sure how the rubber drain pipe would tolerate this and as it is literally inside the a-pillar I really don't fancy it degrading and falling to bits.

Does anyone have any further ideas, or know whether or not the rubber would be tolerant of any of these methods?

Thanks.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Id also like to know incase mine is blocked, I really dont want to get rid of the sun roof.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Using an air line worked great on my old 106, but whatever is in this one is really stuck!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Just pull the end of the tube off, tape some new tube to it, and pull new stuff through. About £2/Mtr for heater hose or similar.

If you can't be faffed with that, maybe try ramming a wire coat hanger down there?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I tried a proper drain unblocking tool cable thing and couldn't push it through, however your idea of simply replacing the pipe that way I hadn't thought of! Great idea.
Do you know precisely where the tube runs to in the wheel arch?

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The front two run to behind the scuttle panel and the rear two to in the rear quarters. Well that was on mine, and its a 3dr. Not so sure about a 5dr.

Dunno what you have mate lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ph.1 gti-6 so a 3-door.
Oh right so to get at the other end you remove the scuttle panel...sounds pretty straightforward!

Thanks a lot mate.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I'll double check. I just ripped mine out as I removed the sunroof. Memory doesn't serve me too well as i just ripped them carelessly lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Thanks!
I'll have a look, should be able to find them! I just park on the kerb so water drains out of the clear side at the moment. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
lol

The bliss of owning a 20-something year old french car Rofl

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
It's a spritely 17 years young. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
did you have much luck clearing them? think've got the same issue now, tried wire with no luck Sad
Thanks given by:
Don't use a wire coat hanger!! Thy are a really soft rubber so you will punch a hole in the side of it somewhere and let all the water fill your car up somewhere lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 06:54 PM)AustinAR Wrote: did you have much luck clearing them? think've got the same issue now, tried wire with no luck Sad

An air line normally works alright and I've used it before on another pug but this blockage seems to be really hard to shift so I'm going to attempt to replace the whole tube.

To stop water getting in in the meantime, park up on the kerb on the blocked side so that the water drains out of the clear side.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 08:31 PM)RetroPug Wrote: To stop water getting in in the meantime, park up on the kerb on the blocked side so that the water drains out of the clear side.

Thats how you know you own a Peugeot!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 06:56 PM)Niall Wrote: Don't use a wire coat hanger!! Thy are a really soft rubber so you will punch a hole in the side of it somewhere and let all the water fill your car up somewhere lol

Phew that was going to be the next step haha I've only used some dodgy old wire so far..!

Do the pipes run into/past the rear arch, i've got what looks like salt/old water deposits around where the rear speaker connector is... (hope that makes sense haha)
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 10:03 PM)AustinAR Wrote: Do the pipes run into/past the rear arch, i've got what looks like salt/old water deposits around where the rear speaker connector is... (hope that makes sense haha)
Not sure, but this could also be your rear window seals not sealing properly.

(31-03-2014, 09:10 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Thats how you know you own a Peugeot!
My neighbours probably just think that I'm an idiot...there are proper, full parking spaces on the edge of the road and I still park mine in the space but slightly on the kerb. lmao

I've heard that the problem could also be that the drain pipe is improperly routed and could be trapped/pinched closed somewhere, it is entirely possible that when the cambelt was done before I bought it that it could have been tucked out of the way (the blocked one is on the same side) when the wheel arch was removed to gain access. I will be checking this as well but have no time for a few days. Sad

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Right.

I removed the wheel arch liner and the wing, I cannot find the drain pipe at all, I think it is inside the box section of the chassis that is behind the top of the wing. Having watched water drain out of the other side, it doesn't come into the wheel arch it comes out of the chassis behind the wheel arch, near the front of the sill.

I've really no idea what to try next...can't see the bloody pipe anywhere.
All helpful suggestions appreciated.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Ive always used a big syringe filled with water, never had one i couldnt unblock....
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
A compressed air line could not unblock it, and neither could a draper pipe unblocker.
Really need this draining water now!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know the precise routing of these drain pipes on a 3dr shell?
I didn't completely remove the scuttle panel so that might be the next thing to try?

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
was this ever solved ?????
Thanks given by:
I was never convinced I'd fully solved it, but I haven't had a leak since then and this thread is nearly 3 years old.

I used airlines down the drain holes multiple times, and used a draper pipe cleaner/unblocker tool which is essentially a springy wire that is easy to slide down pipes and tubes, and finally I think a lot of the water was coming in through the aerial. I bought a new, genuine base and used some clear silicone underneath it.

If you are anywhere near Leicestershire feel free to borrow the pipe cleaner thingy.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sunroof adjustment Betty 0 1,200 31-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Betty
  another leaky sunroof Doseph 3 2,030 19-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Doseph
  Bonnet/wiper drains PugRory 5 1,117 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Last Post: PugRory