crank pulley

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crank pulley
newbie to pug 306 so please be gentle...............

horrible noise when cold at idle traced to aux drive belt......looks in good condition and looks like new spring adjuster fitted...........however, the crank pulley has an unused "valley" with the belt incorrectly fitted and hanging over by one "peak" , to the outside.

I re positioned the belt ( after making the 2 tools needed ) and the horrible noise stopped ( I ran engine for 10 seconds with the aux belt off and the eng sounds so sweet 98k miles ) but was replaced by a horrible loud squeak, very little clearance tween belt and spring adj unit ( seems to touch the central allen bolt ) ......

so, is there supposed to be a distance piece washer tween crank belt pulley and cam belt sprocket, or is the spring adj incorrectly fitted??

if the spring adj central allen bolt is undone, does the unit fly apart!! or is it self contained( like the man adj jockey wheel pulley ) and come off as a unit ( with the spring action locked with a 4 mm pin ) ??

any help and pics greatly APPRECIATED.....Haynes manual good in places but crap otherwise........

Heartthis forum and learning a lot by looking at threads.........cant seem to get the smiles etc to work
Thanks given by:
There shouldnt be a spacer between the cambelt sprocker amd crank pulley.

The auto tensioner is a self-contained unit, should come off in one piece unless it's really knackered lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I had the same problem when I first got car and found the noise coming from the tensioner where it was a bit worn and the bearings starting to rub changed it and no noise at all
Got to love it when you have no ideaDodgy
Thanks given by:
thanks for the replies, so crank pulley in correct place, will remove the spring adj pulley unit a have a look, looks like the belt touches the central allen bolt and causes loud squeak...........
Thanks given by:
Makes sure all pulleys are in alignment to start with, i.e. nothing's been changed.

If they are all aligned, it's likely to be a tensioner issue.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
thanks for the reply....could you help with a wiring diagram and fuse box info....like fuse numbers and what they protect??

I can send up pics of the fuse boxes........
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crank pulley compatibility Dreijers 0 1,116 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Dreijers
  Middle box delete and crank pulley allye 27 6,266 29-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Last Post: allye
  crank pulley/de air con and belt pug306driver 7 2,858 24-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Poodle