One for the brake guru's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for the brake guru's
Ok trying to find modern brakes for the 305.

The 305 hub is different to a 306 hub as it incorporates the ball joint as opposed to the ball joint being on the wishbone. I believe 405/406/xantia hubs do the same

Anyway, thought I could get away fitting the 247mm vented setup from a spare 306 I had. (247mm adequate enough for what I want)

Bought brand new vented discs, tried fitting them to hub, obviously they fit the centre of the hub ok, but the inside of the disc is fouling on the hub itself.

So either the offset of the disc is wrong or the disc is too wide.

So does anyone know if there are vented 266 discs off something else which has a lower offset (ie shallower so they don't foul the hub)

Or do you think solid discs may provide more clearance? In this case will I need different calipers or will the 306 ones work ok with solid discs?

Trying to keep costs down as the calipers I have are good and have good pads.

Was thinking maybe a pair of 405 front calipers but they are hard to come buy.

If all else fails I'll have to go back to the standard units but they are a bit pissy and now it's turbo'd wanted a slight upgrade

Any info greatly appreciated
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Generally when I've been messing around trying to find brake combinations, I've grabbed the EBC brake catalogue.
It's an excel sheet, so you can then filter out the stuff that doesn't apply. eg: 5 stud, wrong PCD, non-vented.

Then you get a list of diameters against offsets and can find the brakes from whatever model which are going to be the best fitment.
I've found it to be quite invaluable selecting the nearest disc, but check the price to as it's nothing to do with the size of the disc ! and that is also a big factor when selecting them.
Thanks given by:
Spot on will have a look thanks
Thanks given by:
I know the xantia discs have almost NO offset...but a bit big I expect for your needs
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Can get xantia discs in 266 perhaps earlier nad models may have had smaller brakes
Thanks given by:
Original discs had an offset of 27

247 vented 306 discs are offset of 35. As are solid 247 discs

266mm discs have offset of 27 either vented or solid

So have to run 266mm discs it seems
Thanks given by:
258mm 26 offset from Lotus or early 80's Celica/Supra ??

D323 or GD323

Xantia is D311 or GD311
Thanks given by: