public decommissioned airfield out something...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
public decommissioned airfield out something...?
Basically, last summer we were in Germany near the nurburgring, and resulted in me having a lap. Nothing fancy, I had a 405 saloon NAD, standard. (I don't think 12 minutes was bad!). Anyway we're going Germany again this year, not nurburgring related but inevitable. Anyway the wife wants a go, but she's never turned a wheel in anger (got her test next week lol) so I'm not comfortable get piddling around at 40mph. Is there somewhere I can take her to learn how to handle a car? Like an open decommissioned airfield etc
Thanks given by:
I know of one in York, but that's a mission from Preston!!
JP
Thanks given by:
Absolutely not.
If the public could access old airfields for free they'd be stuffed full of people racing around all day and all night.

You'll have to pay and go to a track day.
Thanks given by:
I didn't suggest free (although would be nice!). Would a track day be right? It would have the same problem of her getting in the way
Thanks given by:
How about learning to walk before attempting to run? No offence but just let her build up skills naturally, who says 100mph+ down a flat open piece of tarmac teaches you anything anyway? tbh stupid idea.
Thanks given by:
Take her on one of those track day experiences, where they instruct her first
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Where I live in suffolk they're more abandoned airfields than corner shops lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2014, 10:59 AM)tigerstyle Wrote: How about learning to walk before attempting to run? No offence but just let her build up skills naturally, who says 100mph+ down a flat open piece of tarmac teaches you anything anyway? tbh stupid idea.

The point is it's something she wants to do and it's not an everyday opportunity. So I'm trying to think of a way she can learn to feel the car in a safe environment. It's a different way of driving than driving on the road. I think it would be daft to try to build up those type of skills on the public highway.

(25-03-2014, 10:39 AM)jammapic Wrote: I know of one in York, but that's a mission from Preston!!

What do you know? We go all over with the caravan

Just noticed title should say "or" not "out". Predictive text
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2014, 11:20 AM)firemoth Wrote: The point is it's something she wants to do and it's not an everyday opportunity. So I'm trying to think of a way she can learn to feel the car in a safe environment.

So pony up and pay money for a proper lesson with a qualified instructor at an organised and insured event? Sounds like you have the right idea in your mind and if it's what she wants just do it?
Thanks given by:
Oliver's mount Scarborough?
Thanks given by:
We have an old airfield near mine where we used to bugger about public can go on there. Lota of learner drivers some days. Eye airfield just of the a140 between norwich and ipswich
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
As in you can just go on and basically do what you want?
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2014, 11:07 AM)7057sam Wrote: Where I live in suffolk they're more abandoned airfields than corner shops lol

I know of two... And i know of 3 corner shops. Most have gates, the surface is ruined or they are now fields.
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2014, 03:15 PM)firemoth Wrote: As in you can just go on and basically do what you want?

You can go on and nobody notices. I have been asked to leave an airfield before. Its not yours to hoon about on. The guy who owned the one i went on was fine for people to learn to drive but put the barriers up if people ever tried to race. Theyre a good place to learn but you dont want to be racing. The surface is poor.
Thanks given by:
A big car park somewhere?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Yeah do what you want up there Smile so long as you dont make lots of noise

Also good luck finding a corner chop where I live. We have a pub. That's about it
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A great visit - Classic Cars,Brewery,Old Airfield maxaret 6 2,326 12-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post: maxaret