Hdi turbo change... Quickly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi turbo change... Quickly
got an upcoming turbo change to do on a mates hdi as it's sounding more and more whiney, but anyway it's an X reg 306 hdi with Gt15, I've already sourced a replacement Gt15 on a manifold to make things as easy and as fast as possible.

I've got plenty of experience with turbos on xud engines, but this will be my first hdi, just looking for pointers really.

Space behind the engine is noticeably less than an xud, so would I be best off Supporting the engine from underneath and undoing the top engine mount so I can pull the engine forward?

Or remove downpipe and try getting at it from underneath?

Useful tips to help speed up the process?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
From underneath, drop the back of the subframe
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2014, 09:00 AM)Connor Wrote: From underneath, drop the back of the subframe

Awesome, cheers me babber!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
My turbo sounds like a pigeon, I shall mount it on my mantle piece. Keen for this turbo change though man. Lots of swearing and threatening to sell my HDi as no doubt it'll throw a spanner in the works Sad
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
To change the turbo you dont need to drop the subframe at all, but its best to only change the turbo and not the manifold as the exhaust manifold is held in place by the inlet, and the inlet is far harder to remove on a hdi compared to an xud
Thanks given by:
That's good news then, are all the bolts holding the turbo on fairly accessible from underneath?

Only ever taken parts off a dw10 while it was out of the car, never done anything in situ yet
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
You'll find it a hell of a lot easier if you drop the back of the subframe though. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-03-2014, 05:50 PM)Poodle Wrote: You'll find it a hell of a lot easier if you drop the back of the subframe though. Wink

It gives more room but I never found it necessary, plenty of room without touching it, there is one bolt on the turbo thats a bit awkward but dropping the subframe wont help with that, 1 hour should see the turbo out and another hour to refit, dropping the subframe just adds to the job time
Thanks given by:
I have a ramp which should make the whole thing alot easier, will judge at the time if I need to drop the subframe or not, hopefully I can get at it much better by being able to stand up
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
This is one of those jobs thats easier on the ground, its easier to open the elbow allen keys on the turbo elbow from above, same for getting to the last nut holding the turbo on. They are 11mm btw to save you fiddling with 10 and 12 before figuring it out.
I havent tried one on a ramp but I can see it involving alot of raising and lowering :/
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  turbo change mattydturb 5 1,184 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: mattydturb
  hdi turbo change? dirtyboost89 7 1,529 02-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Last Post: HDi--Power
  Turbo change cost? Dave26 10 3,541 27-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Last Post: karl1989