Project: Accidental purchase..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project: Accidental purchase..
So then, I'm new to 306s I joined with a 1.8 GLX auto, but at 29mpg with me touring the country with Fame the musical I figured it was going to cost a bit too much so while in Sunderland with the show I decided it was a good idea to impulse buy a 2 litre HDI v reg. 150k mileage
This soon worked out to be a bad idea (1 mile after leaving the house from which I bought it) when the forward acting gear linkage fell off leaving me stranded on the side of the road in a town I've never heard of.
Here's some photos of said sack if spuds.

[Image: 9yseha2e.jpg]
[Image: jyga2e7e.jpg]
[Image: usy9ebap.jpg][Image: equ2adu7.jpg][Image: aduhebug.jpg]

So far I've totalled these problems:
Worn gear linkages
Front Bumper hanging off.
Front inner arch linings falling out.
Clutch doing funky things, going to remove the renowned spring at some point.
Engine moves in the bay far too much for my liking!
Every brake disc either has a piece missing or the brakes are binding.
Fans don't work.
Drivers door lock doesn't work on the fob.
Rear wiper doesn't work.
Trip mileage display works when it feels like it.
Electric mirrors aren't electric
Radiator doesn't clip into its points properly.
There's a leak of some sort from the casting that goes in to the top of the engine (firewall side).

Good things are:
AIRCON WORKS!!!
Engine sounds and looks good
Turbo sounds and looks
Fuel consumption is good

This will be a slow burning project as it's not in good enough nick to tour the country but I'm going to fix it up anyway.

What do people advise on whatever problems I have. I've never done a project thread before and I'm mainly motorbike orientated. (Rebuilt 2 bandit 600s)

Cheers guys!
Thanks given by:
Nice car, not to bad for the year Tongue Got a rear wiper motor a driver door centre locking motor and a set of electric mirrors going cheap pm if interested Smile
Thanks given by:
Oh and the tracking is miles off and pulls to the left horrendously and it has quite a lot of camber on the back.
Thanks given by:
Worth a tidy up though mate! Moonstones the best colour imo! If you need any parts currently breaking my 3 door moonstone, wink ;-)
Thanks given by:
Certainly got your hands full there,Good luck Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Aircon works, you must be lying
Thanks given by:
Yea! Well stokes I might end up dropping you a message! Yea hands aren't full they are overflowing! The engine feels like it's about to fall lout everytime I change gear but the aircon works so all is well!
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2014, 10:56 PM)Mitch1793 Wrote: So far I've totalled these problems:
Worn gear linkages
New linkages, miles ones or BBM

Front Bumper hanging off.
Cable tie it back on.

Front inner arch linings falling out.
New screws/clips or self tappers and cable ties.

Clutch doing funky things, going to remove the renowned spring at some point.
Yeah pull the spring out from the top of the pedal then stamp on the pedal a few times and push it down and slide your foot off to let it fling back up.

Engine moves in the bay far too much for my liking!
Probably the bottom mount new OEM one pressed in 90 degrees offset.

Every brake disc either has a piece missing or the brakes are binding.
Buy a mintex set for 50quid on ebay.

Fans don't work.
Could be fuse, resistor pack, or fan itself jammed.

Drivers door lock doesn't work on the fob.
Door loom.

Rear wiper doesn't work.
Relay by the wiper motor possibly.

Trip mileage display works when it feels like it.
Electric mirrors aren't electric
Radiator doesn't clip into its points properly.
There's a leak of some sort from the casting that goes in to the top of the engine (firewall side).
Not sure i understand that, get a picture :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Well Tom, That will all come in very useful, i'm not back at home for another 5 maybe 6 weeks i will have to get pictures then! Smile

i so where would i find new linkages? is there anything specific i need to avoid or look for? Euro Car Parts or something.

With the clutch, i jumped under the car to see where the creaking and squeaking was coming from and it seems to be inside the gearbox. Which would mean be getting a new clutch kit in basically would it not?

i think the fan cabling is severed somewhere, i had this problem with the 1.8.

Cheers so far!
i will try and get back to the car sooner as i really want to be driving it around the country rather than looking at photos of it sat in my car park not moving.

Mitch
Thanks given by:
The leak from the firewall will be the top of the heater matrix. Maybe the matrix was changed and the pipes not fully pushed back in?

Also lol at the number plate... 'tat'... lol
Thanks given by:
I don't think it's the heater matrix it seems more like fuel or oil. Yea that I realised after I bought it!
Thanks given by:
Ah sorry, I misread, thought it said into the firewall.

Pretty sure you mean the inlet elbow...they all leak boost there, which in turn spits oil from the breather pipes.
Thanks given by:
Yea it looks like the inlet. Sorry I'm used to working with Honda petrol engines. The other way round! Haha.
Thanks given by:
There is a group buy for uprated baker bm gear linkages. Id get those as they are better and on the group buy probably around the same price.
Thanks given by:
Where would I find them then? Do you have a link for them?
Thanks given by:
Mirrors and locks will be door loom. Common but easy fix. Phase 3 so bumpers always fit shit and sag. Self tappers fix archliners also
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
The gear linkages are in the baker bm thread in the for sale section, but unless your a race car driver you can get the equivalent from eurocarparts for half the price.

Fan issues are likely down to the loom connection by the rad - nearside.

Front bumper - loosen the fixing nuts on the back and the elliptical guides, get a mate to hold it up in place, tgen reposition and tighten the guides, then tighten all the nuts.

Calipers can be rebuilt with a kit from bigg red, well worth it imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Soo then, been a while since i touched this last! the Accidental purchase has been on the road for about a month now. Done a fair amount to get it there.

Fans - both fans jammed, seems after the little bump it seems to have encountered before i bought it, the same fans had been put back in. So bent them all back into shape seemsthe motors burnt out so a cheeky swap with the 1.8 auto fans and radiator while i was there worked a treat!.

Mirrors - swapped with the 1.8's work fine now.

Door lock - fecked actuator!

Gear linkages done! in my car park with a pair of long nose pliers, long ass flathead screwdriver and a toffee hammer - Oh on the scissor jack! with some titanium adjustables £42.50 fleabay!

New disks and pads all round
Rebuilt rubber brake lines on 2 corners

Cable tied the front bumper back up - winner!

Rear wiper changed with the 1.8!

Clutch - knackered..... oh well.

Cam-belt being changed on monday coming along with the collapsed rear shocks...

Rear beam is going to need refurbishing soon though as the camber on the back is ridiculous.

figured out where the oil is coming from.... the EGR elbow on the inlet blowing crap out of the gasket, what is the best way to proceed with this? clean it up and put a new gasket on, or blank it off, considering i don't really have the time to rip the pointless system out, all i'll have the time to do is blank just that off.

Inner archs - still flapping about in the breeze, i'm over that!

Anything i can do further to increase Horsepower without ruining a car that has over 150000 miles on the clock that does nearly 1000 miles a week?
and a bonus would be to keep the MPG high!!

[Image: 10416661_10152574152807193_8743750446785782544_n.jpg]

Cheers all
Thanks given by:
Stage 1 will get you plenty more ponies without compromising mpg or reliability, in fact when driving sensibly many people report an increase in mpg over standard. Personally i'd recommend pro_steve, but there's a thread in the hdi section with a ton of reviews so you can decide for yourself. Smile Will need to sort the clutch first though lol.

EGR system, get it blanked with a blank from ebay (about £3 posted iirc) and get steve (or whichever mapper you use) to remove it fully from your map, else there'll be strange hesitations at cruising speeds.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So revival updateage! I got a stage 1 map of HDI-Tuning and wow it's made a big difference!

The only issue I then had which is completely unrelated, was the fuel relay burning out... Leaving me stranded in sandbach services, with no breakdown cover!! £150, 4 hours and a scratched front bumper later I managed to get home.
[Image: a4yva2a3.jpg]

While trying to diagnose the problem in Monday it decided to fix it self so I then did 700 miles in It on Tuesday-Wednesday.
Then another 120 to Wolverhampton Thursday morning, pulled up in the parking space, it cut out and wouldn't start again

Did some dodgy car park electrics to get it going to get me home. Now to the scrapie to get a new fuel relay connector!
[Image: 9etu4eve.jpg]

Now I'm thinking of grabbing a FMIC set for it. :-)
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you've had a lot of problems with it.. I hope you got it cheap!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2014, 10:59 AM)silverzx Wrote: Sounds like you've had a lot of problems with it.. I hope you got it cheap!
Yea it seems so! Even the low price of £350 i paid seems a little too much now!

Anyways now, i've had two new Avon tyres put on the front and fixed the fuel relay!

after the 30 degree heat sat still on the M6 from Blackpool to Wolverhampton i feel the need to fix the aircon that broke 2 weeks ago, Does anyone know what the likely cause of this is to be after a browse around on the forum it looks like the pipes rot through?
Thanks given by:
If it's literally just stopped working, you may've damaged the pipes while changing the rad/fans. Confused
Thanks given by:
i hadn't thought of that although i did have a brief look through the pipe work and it actually all seems in good nick.... i suppose t could be a perished rubber (never good!)
Thanks given by:
Nah, the rubbery pipes are usually fine, its always the metal ones that cause issues. The AC rad's fall apart as well tbh.

If you have another look around the pipes/rad you'll probably see the green dye leaked out somewhere.
Thanks given by:
You get places that pressure test aircon systems to figure out where the leaks are before regassing so you can get them fixed.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The fuel relays aren't expensive to buy new, i'd just do that mysef unless they're pennies from the scrappy.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(19-07-2014, 09:17 AM)Poodle Wrote: The fuel relays aren't expensive to buy new, i'd just do that mysef unless they're pennies from the scrappy.

Yea they are only 15 squids from peugeot! But 3 pound from the scrappie ;-) and it's the connect I need nit the relay as I found out now.
Is there a thread anywhere on here with the requirements for Peugeot planet? I've had an idea involving a Raspberry PI lexia and pp2000!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Purchase puglife306 16 6,111 30-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Last Post: puglife306