coolant pressurising after new gasket etc???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coolant pressurising after new gasket etc???
Thumbs Down 
So as most know done my ph3 xud swap,
Built the engine up with new Victor reinz head gasket and head.bolts
All torqued to spec properly.
Now ive got heat in car, and it never seems to run hot like most of my other DTs have.
Just seem to get quite a hard top hose after a longish run

I didnt have the head skimmed as donor car was fine, I cleaned up both surfaces well.

Im gonna try a new stat tomoro but im not hopeful tbh. Just dont want it to.be headgasket failure after 500 miles.
Anyone had a problem before??

Car is running a gt1752 turbo 22 psi ish, on a govd bosch

Cheers, any ideas appreciated
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Headlift maybe...?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I did wonder that, but really?? Its hardly a massive turbo cant be.flowing that much surely
It goes well mind.

Frosty had a similar problem too just winding me up
Thanks given by:
I did all you did...inc not skimming.

Worst mistake ever. Had to take it off, strip and skim, back together and no issues at all for 7k miles now
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Rookie mistake right there always have The head skimmed
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
As said always have the head skimmed and pressure tested to make sure it's all ok, but on another note you built the engine then just wound boost straight to 22psi? Surely that's gonna do it no good, surely it would be best to bed it in first I might be talking rubbish but that's how understood what's best to do.

Thanks given by:
(19-03-2014, 10:10 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Rookie mistake right there always have The head skimmed

Even if the gasket hadnt previously gone??
Have seen it done on a few different engines without a problem.

Frosty had the same issue and his was skimmed though

(19-03-2014, 10:18 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: As said always have the head skimmed and pressure tested to make sure it's all ok, but on another note you built the engine then just wound boost straight to 22psi? Surely that's gonna do it no good, surely it would be best to bed it in first I might be talking rubbish but that's how understood what's best to do.

I dont drive like a cnut though mate, I dont abuse it at all
Thanks given by:
Mines the same, didnt skim and a week later it popped altogether
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The one you just built padge??
f*cking things wind me up sometimes
Thanks given by:
Yes mate its sat on the drive needing another gasket and a skim
Thanks given by:
Ah thats crap, never mind ill wack thermostat in tomoro see what happen.

Looks like ill be taking the head back off sooner than I thought. All good fun Sad
Thanks given by:
Got my skimmed and pressure tested head for sale Wink

Thanks given by:
How much posted chris
Thanks given by:
As James has said i had the same issue with mine and i fitted all new gaskets etc and had the head skimmed and pressure tested and then changed the thermostat as well and still it seemed to pressurize up fair hard.

Building another engine up at the moment with ARP head studs but i cant see that mine would of lifted the head as my turbo isn't very big. Will whip the head off mine when engine is out
Thanks given by:
Its madness not to get the head skimmed when the head is off, regardless of how the car went before. False economy.
Thanks given by:
You wouldn't say that if you put a head on without it being skimmed and didn't have any issues. I bet many have done it before and had no issues
Thanks given by:
It should be checked for trueness regardless and obviously skimmed if it's anything less than spot on.

I'd guess about 80% of the heads that I've removed from cars that haven't overheated or shown HG issues have heads that aren't true when checked and need a few thou skimmed off them. If you're using an MLS gasket then the head really does have to be spot on as they're far less tolerant than regular gaskets.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 11:30 AM)Jimbo Wrote: How much posted chris

Pm'ed you

Thanks given by:
Right well ive removed the thermostat and its not pressurising much Anymore so will see how it goes.
Have spoke to darren who has agreed its quite possible that this small frame gt series turbos can lift the head, im not saying that's the cause but it wont be helping at all.

Gonna leave it a.week and decide what to do then depending.how it is

Probably get some arp studs and a 5 notch gasket + headskim/ another head if its still no good
Thanks given by:
Remove the rad cap
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant system pressurising but not overheating?! D.r.1989 39 5,806 22-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Last Post: D.r.1989
  Pressurising coolant Danny2009 32 4,592 16-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Last Post: r3k1355