De-tuning a xud for economy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-tuning a xud for economy?
Ok, I know this is a gay thread, but I seem to be spending all my time filtering WVO atm and its starting to grind... Currently tuned to 'stage one' 18psi, and down to about 36 mpg driving very steadily, this seems pretty low to me?

So my question, what do people remember to be getting standard from a bosch'd xud? I m running 100% wvo so pointless having it tuned as she wont pull smooth all the way through the rev range, so this weekend i wanna put it back to standard, or could i go below standard to get epic mpg's???

Cheers,

Andy
Thanks given by:
Yeh thats fairly low... Why dont you just buy veg oil ready to go than filtering old stuff? Itll still be cheaper and you wont have to waste your time!
Thanks given by:
Have you tried changing the fuel filter? If that's blocked, it'll ruin your economy.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Serviced it lately? What tyre pressure do you use? What type of journeys do you do? Carrying any unnecessary weight?

Boost makes diesels more economical... I've never averaged 36mpg even whilst trying. I am using 100% new oil, occasionally some diesel or petrol.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
hate to be mr obvious, but maybe try turning the pump down turn or a half?

smoke doesn't tend to be so obvious on veg, so you may well be overfueling for the amount of boost you're running
Thanks given by:
Thanks for responses guys,

Driving is to the beach and back 90% of the time, includes some dual carriageway driving and using A or B roads, avoid towns at all times,

SROWELL I pay 25p/litre for WVO so its alot cheaper than I could get new stuff for,

Tyre pressures are all good, think theyre about 32-34 last time I did them,

Serviced it a few thousand miles ago, havent done fuel filter since but do have a brand new one so will bang that on at weekend when i return her to standard fueling etc,

What kind of MPG's do you guys all get/would expect to get on standard engines if theres any of you left lol Tongue

Cheers again!
Thanks given by:
mines standard and the most I've had out of a brimmed tank was just over 500 miles on normal diesel Smile not sure what that works out at.

That was mostly B road runs + short journeys... just done a mpg calculation thing and it's just over 40 mpg apparently
Thanks given by:
My tuned Stg1 24psi xud turbo with an 11mm pump still did well over 55mpg on a run and never less than 45mpg when ragging...all on wvo.
Same with my 2.1 now really.

Something isnt right there mate, but at 25p a litre...36mpg is still a HUGE saving of say 45mpg at 1.38 a litre!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
25p per liter?! I say stop moaning and turn it up some more Tongue Wink

But on a serious note I'm same in my 106 last lot of veg was 30ppl but I'm down to 41mpg in a 106 nad that's terrible defo must be broken Sad

Thanks given by:
A big turbo with fuelling to match is quite economical if you have any sense when driving it.
I get about 550-600miles to a tank driving normally ie not planting it at every opportunity.

Detuning wont do much except bore the f*ck out of you and cause you to have to floor it to get the bastard to move!
Thanks given by:
If it isn't pulling cleanly all the way through the rev range then you have fuel starvation and/or air ingress somewhere. What sort of quality is the WVO? Check all the fuel pipe joints, the primer bulb and filter housing. 10% petrol halves the viscosity of vegetable oil, this might improve running, or see if you can source some misfuel. 2EHN cetane booster should see further improvements and bump mpg and power a little. No need to de-tune, try and find the source of the problem. I've averaged 45mpg in my 406 over the last 40,000 according to my logs, mostly at 20psi. 80% WVO 20% misfuel + 2EHN cetane booster and it will happily rip through the revs to the governor.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
WVO is filtered to one micron, she will pull clean through 1st and second but begins to bog slightly in 3rd, 4th and 5th, im guessing when its sucking the most fuel??

I have got some cetane booster so will dump that in and change fuel filter and see how it goes over the next week, cheers for all the suggestions guys Big Grin

Andy
Thanks given by:
I'd whack some petrol in it tbh.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Sounds like poor quality wvo, defo some petrol and a filter change.

When was last time you cleaned the in tank strainer?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Never cleaned the in tank strainer, checked it after first few tanks of veg but looked fine to me, im reluctant to put petrol in it, it may just be by chance but in both my 106 and this 306, shortly after putting petrol in with the veg my glow plugs shat themselves, no idea if petrol could cause that but didnt seem to help with much tbh with starting etc, but then again everyone cant be wrong!
Thanks given by:
I've run 10% petrol maybe more some times all winter with out issue probably just coincident that it's happened.

Thanks given by:
Ive done, well, must be 50k miles on wvo/svo with 5-10% petrol with no issues at all. Yes too much will cause issues. If you are worried just put in a litre for every 20 of wvo, which is what I do. Along with a splash of two stroke oil and cetane booster

But the in tank strainer is a possibility. For the sake of 10mins, its worth a check.

I aslo change my fuel filter about every 2k miles.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cool ok, i'll do these at the weekend and report back in a week or so Big Grin

Thanks all
Thanks given by:
Id ditch the standard fuel filter. I dont understand how veg can flow through that maze at any speed whatsoever. When i was on the TT inline filter i used to get the problem you described when the filter was blocked, switch it out and at full power again for christ knows how long lol.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xud9te super economy set up? unclebeast 14 2,757 30-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Tuning for economy DavidA 11 2,182 07-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Fuel economy tips WiNgNuTz 30 6,655 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Last Post: silverzx