Brake Pipe Problems!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Pipe Problems!
Hi guys,

Ended up twisting of the rear brake pipes today. Sad

They're copper and I think there's enough 'spare' for me to cut the twisted part and just re-flare the ends while still on the car. Is this likely or will I have to cut further back and stick another join in?

Also, can anyone recommend a good, cheap flaring tool that I can use on the car (not vice mounted) and can buy tomorrow at a shop (almost forgot what these are since ebay tbh lol ). And they're just a 'normal' 11mm connector right, I can't get the wrong ones?

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks given by:
Id just take the broken pipe to a motor factors and get them to make a new pipe
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It runs the whole length of the car I think, surely that's not cheap. Confused Its both of them as well!
Thanks given by:
You can get flaring kits from halfords for ~£14

You should have enough slack on the rear pipes to pull and inch or so along. Failing that get a length of copper pipe (100mm) and run that in with some new unions. Will be a piece of piss as you have the flaring too anyway.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 05:43 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It runs the whole length of the car I think, surely that's not cheap. Confused Its both of them as well!

I bought one that ran length of the 306 before think it cost like £7. Probably the one your thinking runs down one side of the car and across the beam.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh, just remember the 306 is double flared! Otherwise you will be losing fluid rapidly!

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Oh probably should have asked which pipe you had broken, thought you were on about the on from flexi to calliper
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
there are no full front to rear pipes, there's a joiner just above the front subframe, as to where it joins at the rear depends if its drums or discs abs or not.

a full roll of pipe is a mere tenner so it wont be expensive to make a complete new pipe.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 05:45 PM)Grant Wrote: You can get flaring kits from halfords for ~£14

You should have enough slack on the rear pipes to pull and inch or so along. Failing that get a length of copper pipe (100mm) and run that in with some new unions. Will be a piece of piss as you have the flaring too anyway.

Ah if its that cheap will be straight to Halfords in the morning then!

(16-03-2014, 05:48 PM)Grant Wrote: Oh, just remember the 306 is double flared! Otherwise you will be losing fluid rapidly!

Wait, what? Confused

(16-03-2014, 05:53 PM)Connor Wrote: Oh probably should have asked which pipe you had broken, thought you were on about the on from flexi to calliper

No, tbh I shoula been clearer in the OP, I changed the beam so used the 'furthest' unions from the caliper.

(16-03-2014, 06:40 PM)welshpug Wrote: there are no full front to rear pipes, there's a joiner just above the front subframe, as to where it joins at the rear depends if its drums or discs abs or not.

a full roll of pipe is a mere tenner so it wont be expensive to make a complete new pipe.

(16-03-2014, 06:40 PM)welshpug Wrote: there are no full front to rear pipes, there's a joiner just above the front subframe, as to where it joins at the rear depends if its drums or discs abs or not.

I'd call the subframe the front, so that's front to rear imo... lol

I'd prefer not make a whole new one but will see how badly it goes haha.
Thanks given by:
The 306 uses a double flare system. Youtube how to double flare. It's simple.

Single flaring one union will cause a leak so be sure to have the same type of flare throughout the system Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
For the pipe that toms on about it should be single flare, although double checking the old pipe is ideal, I've got one laying round in the garden I'll have a look tomorrow if you want me to
Thanks given by:
Male ends have single flare
Female ends have double flare .
So they butt up in to each other
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 08:06 PM)swampy Wrote: Male ends have single flare
Female ends have double flare .
So they butt up in to each other

Ah ok, I did already know that, just didn't realise that was called 'double' flaring, thanks all. Smile

It's this one btw.

[Image: IMAG3250_zpsc9383757.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You can get single and double female flaring so be careful Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
There should be a join right under the boot floor near to where ABS sensors are clipped to the shell....

Surely yours don't go from the flexi right to the front???
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 09:44 PM)gretsch-drummer Wrote: There should be a join right under the boot floor near to where ABS sensors are clipped to the shell....

Surely yours don't go from the flexi right to the front???

Yeah the do, they were replaced fairly recently, I thought there should've been another join as well lol.
Thanks given by:
Ooooooh lordy.

Sucks to be you.

Enjooooooooy!
Thanks given by:
chop it on the other side of the boot floor and add a joiner, save faffing with the full pipe.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's what I'll do I think.

Got a flaring kit and stuff today so that's tomorows job lol.
Thanks given by:
Just to drill in into your head.......

!!!!!!!!!!PUT THE UNION ON BEFORE FLARING!!!!!!!!!

(because you'd look a right twit if you don't.....coughcough)
Thanks given by:
Lol, can guarantee I'll forget to do that atleast once tbh... lol
Thanks given by:
So, I failed pretty badly at this...

And I've lost any confidence in doing it myself now tbh. How long would it take a garage to replace the front to rear solid lines roughly? Exhaust and spare are out of the way still so they wouldnn't have to remove them.
Thanks given by:
Just get a motor factors to make up a full length pipe be cheaper than £ra*e.99 at a garage
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I can make the pipe. I just keep f*cking up fitting it! Keep cross-threading unions or the copper bends/twists as I'm trying to tighten it on the car. Thinking its just best to leave to a professional as brakes kinda important.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake pipe failure Mighty306 3 1,766 15-08-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Do I buy? rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material pipes Charlie0 3 6,935 18-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Plastic brake pipe clips Mighty306 3 2,197 12-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Mighty306