Alloy or steal sump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alloy or steal sump
Basically the engine I'm building up I can't decide which sump to bolt on. I think I would rather a steel sump as it is will take a bit more abuse from stones etc.

The engine come with a alloy sump as it had air con. My question is can I use either or would I need to change the oil pump if I was to fit a steel sump?
Thanks given by:
I've never seen an alloy sump break/dent from stones?

Have seen a steel one rust so much that it went pourous though lol. Personally I'd stick with the alloy one.
Thanks given by:
Hmm I've seen many ally sumps on the dw10 crack from stones and enthusiastic bridge driving. Personally I would 100% stick with the steel one for exactly the reason you stated, it can take much more abuse and is far more flexible. Oil pumps are exactly the same so either sump would be fine. The only advantage I can see from the ally one is that you need 0.1% of the silicone gasket that you otherwise need to fit a steel gasket, which also makes it a bitch to clean.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Alloy = useless I cracked 2 of them by country lane driving, and the car wasn't lowered lol.

Steel will just dent so go for that, plus if you crack the steel one you can weld it with a mig easy enough.
Thanks given by:
Yeah think I will go for the steel sump. I just need to remove the locating pin on the bottom of the block that is for the ally sump
Thanks given by:
Still got the sump and crank sensor if you still need them Frosty
Thanks given by:
Think im all sorted now. Thanks anyway
Thanks given by:
No worrys Smile
Thanks given by: