Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
I was looking through some forums and come across a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Thats the cat but a diesel one?

It mensions if you drive at low speeds it builds up with soot crap. Also it needs cleaning out every so often?

Whats the best way to clean it give the car a good run and boot up the road?
Thanks given by:
I thought that cars with a DPF had an automatic cleaning function in which they would intentionally increase their EGT's through the excess combustion of fuel?

This being one of the major reasons why no one likes DPF's?

EDIT: Just googled it, apparently some are single use, replaceable units Smile
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Our engines do not have a DPF.

They have a Catalytic Converter, just like a petrol car. Except it tends not to do the Carbon Monoxide > Carbon Dioxide as much, as Diesels don't tend to produce much CO... Mostly converting HC to CO2 and H2O...

CO + O2 = CO2

HC + O2 = CO2 + H2O

Don't ask me to balance that...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Lol if you ever do get a car with a dpf, just don't potter around in them, a good amount of right foot keeps them clear lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You could cook bacon on the exhaust silencer of works Crafter Van when it's in Regen mode in a traffic jam...

Best part is you're consuming masses of fuel, to get the exhaust that hot... Just to stop it being smokey...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
mine has both cat and DPF, well it did have a DPF before someone removed it, and told the ECU not to regen it with expensive fluid. Goes better for it too Wink
Thanks given by:
Well that's your fault for buying a new peugeot. Tongue

@ OP - There seems to be a lot of confusion on the interwebz about 306s and dpfs, suffice to say Ruan's got it on the head.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Stey Wrote:mine has both cat and DPF, well it did have a DPF before someone removed it, and told the ECU not to regen it with expensive fluid. Goes better for it too Wink

This needs doing to my Mrs's one, as discussed on "another forum" with you in the past lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
So no 306 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) then?

Was there a year which it started come out on newer cars?
Thanks given by:
Not really, pug started about 03 i think (that's the earliest I've seen them anyway)
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Heh such a stupid useless unreliable system.

I removed it off a 406 2.2 back along, just smashed the dpf filter out, and altered the ecu file, job done, pretty much free to!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Welshy_Pete Wrote:So no 306 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) then?

Was there a year which it started come out on newer cars?

Not a specific year for all cars afaik, but I know its 2004 with vags, as mk4 golfs don't have dpfs, but mk 5s do!
Thanks given by:
Thanks, Tom, but i'm not sure anyone cares. :roll:

Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Heh such a stupid useless unreliable system.

I removed it off a 406 2.2 back along, just smashed the dpf filter out, and altered the ecu file, job done, pretty much free to!

Sound easy ... ish, I wonder how easy it is on the Mazda probably have to get someone to look at the ECU bah
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Our engines do not have a DPF.

They have a Catalytic Converter, just like a petrol car. Except it tends not to do the Carbon Monoxide > Carbon Dioxide as much, as Diesels don't tend to produce much CO... Mostly converting HC to CO2 and H2O...

CO + O2 = CO2

HC + O2 = CO2 + H2O

Don't ask me to balance that...

The main complication is the presence of the EGR too.

A diesel without EGR runs really lean. So you get rid of NOx as much, but I think you get more CO and HC. NOx turns to smog with UV light (sun), so that is why it was implemented.

That is why if you de-cat, you are best dumping the EGR too, since they are designed to work in unison. EGR on it's own is just evil in a different way to not being there at all hehe Big Grin

Imagine having DPF and a catalyst, and EGR haha!

Those DPF are just a new type of thing to rip off your car once it's out of warranty. The amount of cars that must end up going to the scrappers because owners can't afford the fix costs vs just removing it and having the car trundle on in otherwise perfect working condition for years on end is beyond me.

I'm sure it's ecologically worse to build more new cars, than just let older ones be a bit more dirty but last many times more years!

I also wonder how much these systems cost to make/add initially too, for how much they actually make the car cleaner over say 10 years... remembering after the first 3 years it's probably costing you 10% fuel economy and possibly not running properly any more.

There is nothing better in life than a diesel running free to atmosphere after the turbo Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by: