Serious rain water problem for the last eight months

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious rain water problem for the last eight months
Every time it rains, my passenger's foot well fills up with water. Must be a couple of litres in there. It has been like this for the last eight or so months but I have not got round to investigating further until today where I decided to bite the bullet and cut the carpet out of the passenger's foot well. By god it's wet in there. Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

[attachment=14144]

[attachment=14145]

As I found out, the whole of the sound insulation covering the bulkhead is soaked as well:

[attachment=14146]

It just keeps dripping down from where even when I have soaked up all of the water that has collected in the foot well.

There are two things that I know of that could be causing this:

1. Heater matrix (it is rain water, not a hint of antifreeze about it and I replaced the matrix back in 2012)

2. Scuttle panel rubber not fitted properly after replacing the heater matrix (except it looks like it is)

But 2. seems the most likely. So here are a few pics showing the rubber scuttle panel cover. There does seem to be a gap at the front I was wondering if that is usual or not?

[attachment=14147]

[attachment=14148]

[attachment=14149]

I really need to get on top of this before it leads to rot. There is only so long that galvanization can hold it at bay!
Thanks given by:
Is there not supposed to be a filter of some sort in that corner?

Also why the f*ck cut the carpet when you could just pull it up?
Thanks given by:
Errrr I agree on cutting the carpet.... Could've just taken the front seats and centre console out and removed it....the whole thing needs removing and replacing now anyway lol.

It probably is from the scuttle air intake, it doesn't really matter how the duct it sitting, as long as its water tight against the cabin air intake, which I'm guessing yours isn't. You also need something between the scuttle and ducting so the water runs forward into the gulley, instead of backwards towards the intake. Should've been some foam on there originally.
Thanks given by:
What the hell have you done to the carpet? I have exactly the same problem with mine and I had to sponge it all out. its still wet now.

Basically there is a foam lining over the intake which keeps water out but lets air through.... and mine has a tear and holes. So I am assuming that that is the cause!
Thanks given by:
Have you checked the door seal? And how are you planning to replace the carpet now?

Also, why has it taken you 8 months to get round to sorting it?! I barely managed 8 DAYS when my passenger footwell flooded. Nospeak
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Retro refit carpet cut out and fit back in lol.

No need for car mats when you can cut them out then clean them and refit.

Passanger front door a problem also it can leak at the bottom of the door on to the seal and over in to the car.

(07-03-2014, 10:38 PM)SRowell Wrote: What the hell have you done to the carpet? I have exactly the same problem with mine and I had to sponge it all out. its still wet now.

Basically there is a foam lining over the intake which keeps water out but lets air through.... and mine has a tear and holes. So I am assuming that that is the cause!

the foam lining I put duck tape over mine it works fine.
Thanks given by:
Interesting lads. I had no idea I could remove the carpet. Taking the front seats out is a bit of a faf though and the carpet is already soaking wet so it needs replacing anyway. I am just after a temporary solution to stop the rot taking hold. It looks like I will have to take the scuttle panel off again (I have already taken it off and looked) to have a closer look to see which bit is missing or broken.

(07-03-2014, 04:37 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Errrr I agree on cutting the carpet.... Could've just taken the front seats and centre console out and removed it....the whole thing needs removing and replacing now anyway lol.

It probably is from the scuttle air intake, it doesn't really matter how the duct it sitting, as long as its water tight against the cabin air intake, which I'm guessing yours isn't. You also need something between the scuttle and ducting so the water runs forward into the gulley, instead of backwards towards the intake. Should've been some foam on there originally.

Thanks Tom. Perhaps I am missing the foam, I can't remember what it looks like anyway. Not sure where to go from here without knowing which part is missing.
Thanks given by:
Thing to do is take carpet out...its like 11/12bolts plus centre console
Then get someone to pour water, or stick a hose to the roof, running down where you think it leaks.
The you get in and look for the water leak.

Simples
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Just lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
lmao
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I just hoover the water out then keep the heat on the floor for a few days and its soon dry... Of course you need to fix the leak before then.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 03:51 PM)306Puggy Wrote: There is only so long that galvanization can hold it at bay!

Just FYI they weren't galvanized.. it's a common misconception.

"Contrary to popular myth no full production Peugeot model has ever been galvanised, but the 306 benefits from a zinc phorescent paint-primer process, which has significantly improved corrosion resistance."
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right, slight update, it was raining today and I could feel water ACTUALLY DRIPPING DOWN from the fan unit. So whatever it is it is dripping through the fan unit/air intake. I think it is the large rubber piece that is placed incorrectly. If you look at my second pic it looks like the water is going into the space in the chassis and then pooling there and going from there into the air intake. But I have put everything back correctly so I don't know why it is doing that.
Thanks given by:
Solution
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
lmao

Repped you for that one Niall! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right i cba to read the thread so im going to fire off some points that might help you or might not but atleast i tried ay.

Is there a rubber thing around the air inlet in the scuttle? On the 205 there is and it wasnt fitted very well, sort that.
Also make sure the drains at either end of the scuttle are clear, again on the 205 piles of leaves fell out the bottom of the car when i fired water down them!

And get a torch, pull the blower out (its only 3 screws) shine the torch up there and see whats happening.

Isnt there a grill or something over the air inlet on the 306? They leave the factory with sealant on iirc.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Well it might be the lack of sealant then because I pulled the foam cover when I did the heater matrix but didn't renew the sealant so I think you might have just solved my problem Big Grin I will get some sealant and sort it hopefully after getting the turbo fitted. Thank you again!
Thanks given by:
Old thread I know and probs not connected to std common door seal fault but when the drain hole below the wiper motor (driver side!) clogs up with leaves and crud you can easily have at least a litre in there sloshing about and maybe making its way through the bulkhead somewhere and contributing to water dripping in, the hole can be found and cleared easily with a pointy chopstick or similar then use said pointy stick to drag out the leaves etc!
Don't be wearing nice new white nikes when you clear the drain!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How does the rain sensor cover come off? WiNgNuTz 6 2,681 05-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz