Driveshaft oil seak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft oil seak
My passenger side driveshaft oil seal is leaking, so I'm just about to start repairing it.

Does anyone have any hints or tips before I start?

I've changed driveshaft seals before on other cars, just wondered if there was anything specific I should be aware of first.

I don't think the hub nut wilk need to come off, but would appreciate some clarification.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Would be easier to remove the shaft, thus needing to remove the hub nut.
But it could be done without.

Tips, use a rubber mallet to gently tap the new seal in place, flush with the gearbox housing.
Be careful when removing the old one....IE some I have seen have scored the gearbox sealing edge with a screwdriver when removing the old one.
Make sure you have the correct seal....the two seals are different size and design.

If you are draining the gearbox oil, ensure you get the proper oil to refill it with.

Have fun Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 07:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: Would be easier to remove the shaft, thus needing to remove the hub nut.
But it could be done without.

Tips, use a rubber mallet to gently tap the new seal in place, flush with the gearbox housing.
Be careful when removing the old one....IE some I have seen have scored the gearbox sealing edge with a screwdriver when removing the old one.
Make sure you have the correct seal....the two seals are different size and design.

If you are draining the gearbox oil, ensure you get the proper oil to refill it with.

Have fun Smile

Thanks mate

I have the larger of the two seals, which looks right when looking at each shaft.
Also have a rubber mallet ready.

I don't really have a big enough breaker to undo the hub nut.
Was planning on popping the hub out of the lower balljoint, undoing tge roll bar and steering rack and then splitting the cv joint.
At least, thats what I did on an old fiesta I had.

Will be careful getting the old seal out
Thanks given by:
You maybe able to leave the shaft in the hub and swing it out far enough...I'll be amazed if you manage to split the cv joint in place though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
just done mine last week end
passenger side is the easyest, you will loose about 1ltr of oil on a level car, box holds two liters, i cought the oil and poured it back into the removed breather on top of the box as my oil was quite new.

removing the shaft from the hub first (hub nut 35mm) will make it a lot easyer when inserting the shaft into the gearbox without damaging your new seal
Thanks given by:
Thanks cully

I have 2 litres of fresh oil to go back in as I've no idea when it was changed last.

That's great, I was going to ask about the location of the filler, di you just remove the breather from the box?

Did either of you take the strut out?
Thanks given by:
No, no need to remove the strut
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Going well so far.

No circlip on the driveshaft then???
It came out very easily.

I've taken the brake caliper off and suspended it from the strut with a bungy cord, and disconnected the steering and roll bar.
I undid the lower ball joint and as I was levering downwards, the shaft just slid out of the box.

This sound normal?
Thanks given by:
sounds normal yes
there is no spring clip on the end of the box splines like other makes

oil breather is on the top of the box it is platic and threaded into the box if you remove it you can get a funnel in to make pouring easy Wink
Thanks given by:
Sounds good so far Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I couldn't get the seal out because the shaft was still in the way so ive taken the whole hub and driveshaft out as a complete assembly.

Getting the old seal out was a right pain, but have done it and seated the new one

Tempted to split the cv now and put put the cup in first.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help
Thanks given by:
You really shouldn't need to split the CV for the driveshaft oil seal.

Normally I just seperate the hub from the balljoint, pull it out a little to allow you to remove the driveshaft from the gearbox and hub, swap the seal, refit the shaft (box end first, then hub) and finally put the balljoint back into the hub.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
dont split the shaft you will get in a whole world of black grease mess which is not needed
Thanks given by:
Too late, I split the shaft and it all went back in easily enough.

All back together now :-)

I can't find the filler hole though?
Thanks given by:
Found the filler, all is well

Thanks for everyone's help
Thanks given by:
Which brand and size oil seal you get in the end?
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-405-DR...335db10029
Thanks given by:
As per cullys link above.
Passenger side is the large one, drivers side the small one.

The brand on the box is corteco?
Thanks given by:
The proper fill is on the side of the box for future reference, 19 mm on the right hand side as you look at it Wink can't overfill that way either as it's the oil level check one
Thanks given by: