Timing belt question = 1.9dt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing belt question = 1.9dt
Right ho, so after converting from lucas to bosch the timing belt has me a bit puzzled.

Put all pins in, put on belt, and thats where problems start, the belt seems to be exactly half a tooth out between pump and cam.
Now my instinct is to remove timing bolts from pump and pull belt so cam and crank align properly, but is this the right thing to do?

Is the timing belt designed so that the cam pulls back to the correct position when the tensioner is on tension?

Or should i ignore the new bosch pullys timing, set it close to the holes and tension fully so cam and crank match perfect?
Thanks given by:
I'd take the cambelt off, and then realign the cam, crank and pulley. If the pump, crank and cam are locked into position then theoretically the engine should be timed. Then it's just a case of giving the engine 4 full rotation and checking again to see if the marks line up again.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Personally from what I'v had to do in the past free time the cam knock it back towards the bulk head half a tooth it needs. 9/10 out of ten it aligns itself up
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I had this problem, car in 5th gear you should be able to move the wheel a little bit which in turn gives you the half a tooth up at the cam. Its that tiny bit of slop in the flywheel locking key, although it depends what you use to lock the fly with.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 06:42 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: Personally from what I'v had to do in the past free time the cam knock it back towards the bulk head half a tooth it needs. 9/10 out of ten it aligns itself up
so there is meant too be that much slack between cam n pump pulley?
theres no problem getting belt on like that it just doesnt seem right
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XUD timing belt kit compatibility weka 4 2,426 21-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Last Post: weka
  DW8 Timing belt cover / water pump bolt size? jamesgmg 13 4,669 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  How do you do your timing belt? ginge191 9 5,556 12-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ginge191