Strange Car Noises - Wheel Bearing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Car Noises - Wheel Bearing?
When driving at 40mph+ when turning the wheel left slightly there is a screeching sound coming from the front left (Quiet but noticeable), wheel bearing knackered?

Also, depending on the road, when driving along there is a noise which sounds like a plane going overhead coming from underneath the car, what is this too?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
If you only have 2 strange noises with a 306 I'd say you're pretty lucky! lol

Can't really diagnose from your descriptions though in all honesty. For the second one - do you live near an airport? lol
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 03:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: If you only have 2 strange noises with a 306 I'd say you're pretty lucky! lol

Can't really diagnose from your descriptions though in all honesty. For the second one - do you live near an airport? lol

There used to be no strange noises until the new suspension went in
And no I live nowhere near one haha
Cheers
Thanks given by:
First remove the front wheels and check the brake pads, it could be the first signs of the pads worn out and touching metal to metal.
Second, jack the rear of the car up and spin the rear wheels as fast as you can. there should be silence. If you can hear a drone then you have a wheel bearing gone.
Sometimes the noise you describe can just be as simple as the different road surfaces reacting with your tyres
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 03:31 PM)tonytony Wrote: First remove the front wheels and check the brake pads, it could be the first signs of the pads worn out and touching metal to metal.
Second, jack the rear of the car up and spin the rear wheels as fast as you can. there should be silence. If you can hear a drone then you have a wheel bearing gone.
Sometimes the noise you describe can just be as simple as the different road surfaces reacting with your tyres

Pads are 1 week old so I dont think it will be them
Ok will try that
Cheers
Thanks given by:
That sounds like the answer. New pads can start to make noises after a week.
When you hear the noise at the front, brake slightly and see if that stops the noise.
If so it's the pads, may need shimming or just anti-sqeal grease. Or replace with dealer parts.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 04:05 PM)tonytony Wrote: That sounds like the answer. New pads can start to make noises after a week.
When you hear the noise at the front, brake slightly and see if that stops the noise.
If so it's the pads, may need shimming or just anti-sqeal grease. Or replace with dealer parts.

When braking it doesnt make a difference to the noise, its still there mostv of the time
Thanks given by:
If the noise has only just started after the brakes were done it must be connected. They could have knocked the shield behind the disc and it might be just touching.
Thanks given by:
Sounds exactly like a knackered wheel bearing, get a mechanic to take the car round the block and they'll tell you which one. Definitely check the pads first though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 07:43 PM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds exactly like a knackered wheel bearing, get a mechanic to take the car round the block and they'll tell you which one. Definitely check the pads first though.

I thought thats what it sounded like, will do
Cheers!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anywhere open sunday for wheel bearing HDIkyle 10 3,606 24-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Last Post: HDIkyle