Changing Gearbox and clutch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Gearbox and clutch
I bought a gearbox to replaced my f***ed one, I thought I might aswell replace the clutch while I'm doing it. Any suggestion to which is the most reliable clutch to buy? Its for a 2000 2.0 HDI Estate 306. And do you think Its worth changing the clutch cable aswell? Any guides on here to help with changing all this? Ive got a mechanic doing it for me but theres always little tips here and there to make it easier. Thanks guys
Thanks given by:
folks usually just go for Valeo unless you're pushing big power . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Or a LUK.

A LUK was fitted on mine from the factory and I did 300k miles on it! I replaced it with another LUK clutch.

Carparts4less are doing them for around £100 at the moment! http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Pe...6d4&000069

I would change the cable, fork arm bushes and drive shaft oil seal all at the same time.
Thanks given by:
Yeah as above really, LUK or Valeo will be fine.

I would definitely change the cable while you're there.
Thanks given by:
Okay Ill change the cable aswell

One thing I forgot, whats the best gearbox oil to put in?
Thanks given by:
I've ordered a Sachs clutch for £99, should be here tomorrow. Valeo seem to command £150+.

Probably worthwhile changing the fork bushes too.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 04:40 PM)Alan_M Wrote: I've ordered a Sachs clutch for £99, should be here tomorrow. Valeo seem to command £150+.

Probably worthwhile changing the fork bushes too.

Would these be what I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-Cl...1e871defdf
Thanks given by:
Yeah those are right, cheaper from the dealers though!
Thanks given by:
I would go to the dealers or ECP. I wouldnt really trust clutches off ebay unless you are certain they are genuine.
Thanks given by:
Has anyone got a guide or anything to make the job easier?
Thanks given by:
Mechanic should know what he is doing I would be a bit worried if not ...
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 08:44 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Mechanic should know what he is doing I would be a bit worried if not ...

Hes knows exactly what hes doing. How long would you expect it to take, hes replacing the gearbox, clutch, clutch cable and fork bushes
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't take more than 4 hours from the car driving into the garage to it driving back out

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Would say less than that with a lift and all the right tools!
Thanks given by:
Takes me 2 hours to change a box but there's the added time for the cable and depends how competent/ fast he works

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Very true, I know some people work slow while wasting time talking or drinking tea lol.

Cable can be done in under half hour easy with the 'box out. Probably do fork bushes and 'shaft seals within that half hour as well.
Thanks given by:
2 hours? Do the drive shafts come out?
Thanks given by:
Yep, both sides. I tried leaving the driver side in but I couldn't get the box off, so yeah take both out.

Clutch change guide - http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-21549.html
Thanks given by:
Drain the gearbox oil to make sure it's all out while it's draining take the shafts out

Your mechanic should know all this if he's any good and not someone that thinks they know what there doing because they have a tool kit....

Shouldn't take longer than 2 hours

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
2 hours is pretty quick to be fair.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Takes me around that air ratchet ftw Wink

With a mechanic doing it he should have access to these tools too so don't see why it would take any longer?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
What gearbox oil goes in? I asked my mechanic I think he said something about Ep90/80?
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 06:30 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Takes me around that air ratchet ftw Wink

With a mechanic doing it he should have access to these tools too so don't see why it would take any longer?

I miss air ratchets. Doh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Air ratchet and air gun makes life so much easier Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 06:45 PM)LewisG Wrote: What gearbox oil goes in? I asked my mechanic I think he said something about Ep90/80?

80-90 yeah
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 07:04 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Air ratchet and air gun makes life so much easier Smile

too right. I miss an airline so much. was like my lifeline!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The gearbox oil you should use is 75W80
Thanks given by:
I'd be lost without one use it all the time!

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 07:28 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: The gearbox oil you should use is 75W80

sorry i didn't realise this was a HDI lol . . . . .Blush
Thanks given by:
Yea its a 2.0 HDI 2000
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom flywheel and clutch and lsd gearbox vinny 0 930 06-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Last Post: vinny