Binding brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Binding brakes
MOT failure on front brakes binding

Just put new discs and pads on front; but done 50 miles since; is that enough to run off high spots or is there something more I should do?

I've got 7 days til the retest.. Keep driving the brakes through or consider new calipers, or just lube up the sliders ?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
As long as the piston isn't seized on the caliper (they are tough but as long as you can push it back) and the sliders aren't seized, just a bit of normal braking to bed the surfaces to each other, should be fine.
Thanks given by:
To be honest new disks and pads shouldn't bind sufficiently to fail an MOT and certainly not after driving to the test station and having presumably bedded the brakes in on the way. It's lacking effort I'd expect from new disks/pads initially until they've bedded in, but again, really shouldn't be enough to fail an MOT given that the MOT brake requirements are really quite low.

If it's still obviously binding (turn the wheels by hand with the car jacked up after a drive) after 50 miles bedding in then you've got another issue. Seized caliper sliders or pistons would certainly be something to check together with making sure that it's nothing on the hydraulic side that's holding pressure - collapsed brake hose (normally show on a single wheel) or insufficient clearing on the servo-MC rod etc (normally show on one or both axles) for example. Sure sign it's something on the hydraulic side is if you crack the bleed nipple off and the binding disappears.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't make any difference with them being new discs and pads. As said make sure the sliders are free and the pads are free in the carriers. Sometimes need to clean the rush off the carriers with a wire brush or a file
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear brake binding hedgeling106 12 3,631 10-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Eibach/B4 coils binding? wld 11 4,713 16-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: wld
  Rolling road - split driveshaft boot and binding rear brakes reduce power on graph? MY95 28 4,578 23-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle