broken cambelt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broken cambelt
so im on the hunt for a cheeeap dt, and ive seen a few around, including one on eGay with a broken cambelt.
with these engines, is it totally FUBAR if it snaps? or can they be alright with just timing up and getting a new belt?
total n00b to XUD, if you hadn't guessed...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
If the cambelts gone then it could have upto all valves bent, so they will all need to be replaced. Getting a cheap head could be an option, and then head studs and HG isnt too expensive and could swap it over easily, but then a new cambelt also needs to be bought, money soon piles up. Depends how much it is.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Be careful with snapped cambelts, you don't know what shape it's going to be in. My advice is avoid avoid avoid!
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
ah right, well its up for 120, so im guessing that in the worst case, itd be likely to cost me around 3-400 quid? if ive to replace all the valves and whatnot if im not able to source a new head. plus getting it back to mine.

might just avoid avoid avoid!

thanks guys

Thanks given by:
depends, what were the conditions when it snapped?? wide open throttle at 6k or at idle with no throttle?

Depends if it has smashed valves etc but chances are that it probably has in which case you will have at the very least some bent valves in the head and at worst trashed pistons, cam, valve/valves and head!

Not worth the risk unless you have a spare engine/head available!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
true, i dont know when it broke, ads all very vague really.

knowing my luck, itd be all of the above!

Thanks given by:
Wont have mulled pistons,

Youd basically be looking at either a second hand head (50-80quid) or re valving / skimming current one (80-100 quid, better option imo as better head then) and a cambelt (30 quid) for bare essentials, plus time to change it over...

But obviously if your doing it, would be nice to do tensioners . water pump etc all same time, but money will add up...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
You won't maul the pistons, if there's that much interia behind it, it'll just snap the cam in two and shove the valves up the head and destroy the valve guides - i.e. worst case scenario, you need a new head... It's only if you drop a valve and then it carries on running that you'll destroy the pistons...

But at least you can have it apart, and check the condition, absolute 100% worst case, you need a new engine, which can be picked up for sub £70 if you can change it over - if you can change a head gasket, you can change an engine, IMO it's more of a bastard changing the HG in the car than the engine!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
cool, some good info there, thanks

i can do an engine swap, pretty easy imo, did it to my xsi last summer. would much rather drop and engine than do any major engine work in situ!
are these engines really as cheap as £70??
so possibly 300 ish all in for doin an engine swap? (including car and engine service)

might have to see if i can find some funds...

Thanks given by:
I know that chances are that it won't have mullered the pistons, hence that being listed after "worst case" in my post as it is possible!

Around £100 in me experience will get you a complete engine Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
hmm... think im gunna do some more tinerwebs searching!

thanks guys, helpful stuff! Big Grin

Thanks given by:
I picked up my 45k Xantia D8B lump for £50...

So anything between £50-100... Just depends how lucky you are tbh...

And then I'd budget £300 for new bits on the engine, whilst the engine is out, you might as well do the HG, then you know it's mint... Once all of that's done, you should have yourself a good, reliable, almost new XUD...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: