How to hold headgasket in place when refitting head

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to hold headgasket in place when refitting head
As per, when i try to put the head back on the head gasket falls away

Any way of holding it in place?
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
Put a bolt in the opposite end of the head to where the dowel is. So hold the head above the block line the gasket up on the dowel and the bolt then drop the head down on top?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
There should be dowels in the block around 2 of the bolt holes.
These are essential that they're fitted other wise the head will not line up correctly
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 05:39 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: There should be dowels in the block around 2 of the bolt holes.
These are essential that they're fitted other wise the head will not line up correctly

there was only 1 and it was in the head when i took the head off, its back on now seemed to line up okay i just picked the head and gasket up with two bolts already in if that makes sense

problem is now when torquing it all up i split the 220 degrees part into 90 90 and 40 and on the second 90 i broke the T55 piece i have Sad
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
220 degrees seems like alot. Saying that when i got some tough headbolts, i went back to halfords 3 times in one day to replace t55 bits until they had none left lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 06:13 PM)Tom Wrote: 220 degrees seems like alot. Saying that when i got some tough headbolts, i went back to halfords 3 times in one day to replace t55 bits until they had none left lol

Was just working off this it was in the stickies

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?aid=6184

Yeahh ill be going first thing in the am sick of it for now so going to leave it be till moro
Thanks given by:
Get an impact t55 won't go snapping them then Wink

Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 07:14 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Get an impact t55 won't go snapping them then Wink

Thanks ill definately get one

Another weird thing the gasket that came out looks like it made of fiber glass ,maybe its asbestos? :S
Thanks given by:
Do not put a fiber gasket on!

There shit and that's where these get there name from of blowing gaskets

Put a multi layer steel gasket on MLS
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 07:24 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Do not put a fiber gasket on!

There shit and that's where these get there name from of blowing gaskets

Put a multi layer steel gasket on MLS

Yeah i put a MLS gasket on i was saying the gasket that came off was a fiber glass looking one.

I didnt know fiberglass ones were even put on these - surely not from factory?
Thanks given by:
Yea there from factory that's why they blow
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I'm in the process of gathering parts for my engine and still need to get a headgasket. What make does everyone recommend?
Thanks given by:
I cut the head off a used bolt, ground a slot in the head of it and it can be unscrewed when you have the head on.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 05:39 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: There should be dowels in the block around 2 of the bolt holes.

Theres only one in an XUD Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Its the DW10's that have 2 dowels.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
And gti6's
Thanks given by:
there should be a tiny rivet where the different layers of the gasket are held together, and there should be a small hole in the middle of this. Drop a tiny pin through it, or nail and it will stop it slipping down the deck, and simply remove once you have the head on in place. This is how I've always done it and never had any issues.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
saying that if the fibre one is from stock cant be that bad seen as its done 172K !

Car up and running again now - with out the massive high pressure from before so big thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Fibre ones aren't stock - they're MLS from the factory.

It's just that whenever the gasket goes due to the garage servicing the car not knowing how to bleed the system properly, they put on a Fibre one, then it blows again and gives XUDs a terrible reputation for head gaskets.

Seriously, in lower torque (<270lb.ft) cars, I've NEVER seen a head gasket go other than from incorrect bleeding or just plain old overheating it.

The biggest problem is when the gasket begins to go from overheating, they fill the head with air quite quickly and do airlock badly - once it starts going, it's a downhill spiral. Most cars would carry on for years with a slight weep... An XUD will just keep filling the head with air - once that happens, game over really.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 12:35 PM)Ruan Wrote: Fibre ones aren't stock - they're MLS from the factory.

It's just that whenever the gasket goes due to the garage servicing the car not knowing how to bleed the system properly, they put on a Fibre one, then it blows again and gives XUDs a terrible reputation for head gaskets.

Seriously, in lower torque (<270lb.ft) cars, I've NEVER seen a head gasket go other than from incorrect bleeding or just plain old overheating it.

The biggest problem is when the gasket begins to go from overheating, they fill the head with air quite quickly and do airlock badly - once it starts going, it's a downhill spiral. Most cars would carry on for years with a slight weep... An XUD will just keep filling the head with air - once that happens, game over really.

Just torque the head bolts down a bit more eh Ruan? she'll be 'reet lol
Thanks given by:
If it's got a fibre gasket then it's been done before, and is probably the reason you are doing it again now. Make sure you get all that fibre shit cleaned off thoroughly. My dealership will do me a discount on an OE gasket if asked nicely which makes it not worth the effort of going aftermarket.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MLS headgasket enquiries. 205dtub 14 3,915 18-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Last Post: vinny
  where the best place to buy head gaskets daniel909 20 3,105 12-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Last Post: londondan86
  Headgasket failure? AdamInNi 3 1,300 31-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: AdamInNi