Coolant change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant change
Whats the best way to go about doing this, hopefully gona be changing mines this evening if I get the car back, best way to flush out the system, and the coolant to water mix would 50/50 do?
Thanks given by:
I would just drop it out the bottom rad hose. I would just flush it through with water a few times then put the hose back in.

Get a 2l coke bottle and cut the bottom off and put some insulation tape around the top and wedge it in the header tank. Then the idea is to keep the bottle topped up and fill it with the bleed points open. Then start the car and bleed again. You will want to do all the bleeding with just water then drop half the water out and put your coolant in

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-20731.html
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Use the mix specified on the bottle, its 1:3 or less for a lot of them.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
3litres of decent long life coolant...top up rest with clean water
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It is 4 litres of coolant as the hdi holds 8 litres and it should be a 50-50 mix.

I have also found that green coolant keeps the system corrosion free.
Thanks given by:
So easy on a 306, run it until it's up to temperature, and you have two bleed screws in the rear hose located on the heater matrix pipes that go into the bulkhead and a screw on the thermostat housing itself mate
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 07:03 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: It is 4 litres of coolant as the hdi holds 8 litres and it should be a 50-50 mix.

You shouldnt ever need a 50/50 mix in any car in britain...
Considering motors in Sweden only run 30%
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 09:39 PM)Piggy Wrote: You shouldnt ever need a 50/50 mix in any car in britain...

Really? I thought and read it was always 50/50. It even says that in the haynes manual, not that the haynes manual is always right.

What is the issue with running a stronger mix?
Thanks given by:
A mixture too strong will eat seals and certain metals
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 09:39 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(13-02-2014, 07:03 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: It is 4 litres of coolant as the hdi holds 8 litres and it should be a 50-50 mix.

You shouldnt ever need a 50/50 mix in any car in britain...

You should mix it however it says on the bottle
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just buy ready mixed lol....
Thanks given by:
To be totally honest I always get two coolant changes for each 5ltr long life I buy...so I only ever use 2.5litres...

And once its all run up to temp and mixed in, my signet coolant tester always shows strength of down to -25c which is cold enough for britain!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Gona do this the mora, check the bottle and it says mix to manufacturers specification so what that be 1:3? Best method be to undo the bottom rad hose and bleed screws and put hose into bottle and do this until water comes out of bleed points? Close all up a
pour in coolant and top up with water?
Thanks given by:
No drop the old coolant out the bottom hose, then put it back on. Then put your coke bottle in the header tank and keep it topped up with water with the bleed points open until and steady flow of water comes out
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ahhright ok, then what ways best to let enough water out to put the coolant in then?
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't need to remove the hose, theres a drain point at the bottom of the radiator, looks just like a bleed point, but faces towards the gearbox.
Thanks given by:
A lot of pattern radiators don't seem to have that drain screw, but that's definitely the better way to do it imo. Especially if you don't want coolant everywhere lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
With (EDIT-with the cap removed when cold!!) and the car upto temp Take the top return pipe off coolant bottle and with it running let it pump its self into a bucket while you keep the header tank topped up with fresh 50/50 coolant mix, just dont let it run dry! That way theres no risk of a nasty airlock, no mess... Sorted!
Thanks given by:
Whatever you do...DO NOT do the above...

If you take any hose off with the car running up to temp you will end up with 3rd degree burns
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Obviously common sense tells you the cap must be off and the system not under pressure when running it up and doing it that way!! That is how i do it, several times on a daily basis without fail. Care must be taken when working with any components obviously becsuse they might be hot.
Thanks given by:
Seems a very foolish way to do things...having the car up to temp but running freezing cold water through it to fluah it Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Foolish? The rate of which the water comes out and thus refilling it is so slow the gradual change in temp will do no harm, especially on these engines. Temp change would be slower than if the thermostat opened under normal operating conditions! Suppose really everyone everyone has there own ways of doing things. Everyone to their own
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant change + cambelt help W1ll 32 7,218 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  thermostat and coolant change Leedunn86 3 2,155 29-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Poodle