Driveshaft bearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft bearing
Off to look at hdi tomorrow that is making a grinding noise been told its either a cv joint or a bearing
driveshaft swap should be a doddle but are the bearings easy to do ?
Thanks given by:
ebay driveshaft complete is only £35 delivered
Thanks given by:
Well the only bearing for thr driveshafts are the one on the lower engine mount...dont normaly go noisey though.

And CV joints knock, they dont grind.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Theres a video of it ill post it in a sec
see what you make of it Smile

http://youtu.be/SzYrcRQ1Q_Q

there it is
Thanks given by:
Thats horrific whatever it is!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That's almost certainly the CV joint.
Thanks given by:
CV will only really make noise on full lock, that far more likely to be the driveshaft bearing. it will have shattered like wheel bearings do
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 10:46 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: CV will only really make noise on full lock, that far more likely to be the driveshaft bearing. it will have shattered like wheel bearings do

They hard to do ?
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 10:46 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: CV will only really make noise on full lock, that far more likely to be the driveshaft bearing. it will have shattered like wheel bearings do

From experience it only takes a small turn to get a CV knock...but does depend how bad it is....and that sounds pretty bad lol.

To fit the new bearing it needs to be heated with a blowtorch and pushed on the shaft, as it cools it contracts again and 'locks' onto the shaft.
Thanks given by:
Just fit another shaft, has the bearing on it
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 11:00 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Just fit another shaft, has the bearing on it

Seems the best option Smile cheers
Thanks given by:
Cv joint can knock in s straight line if the joint is near collapse. It'll chew its self up eventually which sounds pretty much like that, drive shaft its self is easy enough to change once you'v got the hub nut off and ball joint out the hub. Remember to drain the gearbox and refill or catch what you loose beacuse once u pull it out the box itl piss out. New shaft will include both inner and outer c.v joints and bearing so if its one or the other it should cure it.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2014, 11:04 PM)JJtheHITMAN Wrote: Cv joint can knock in s straight line if the joint is near collapse. It'll chew its self up eventually which sounds pretty much like that, drive shaft its self is easy enough to change once you'v got the hub nut off and ball joint out the hub. Remember to drain the gearbox and refill or catch what you loose beacuse once u pull it out the box itl piss out. New shaft will include both inner and outer c.v joints and bearing so if its one or the other it should cure it.

Sound cheers man Smile
Thanks given by:
Get ya hand under and grab the shaft(!) And twist.

You should feel if it is a shaft and which one
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thats the sound of the bearing locking up, if it was a CV there would have been a video 12months ago asking "whats this clicking on full lock?"

jackup the drivers side and try spin the wheel round

(14-02-2014, 11:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: From experience it only takes a small turn to get a CV knock...but does depend how bad it is....and that sounds pretty bad lol.

To fit the new bearing it needs to be heated with a blowtorch and pushed on the shaft, as it cools it contracts again and 'locks' onto the shaft.

Roast the bearing? have you done this before, how long did it last?
Thanks given by:
Its not his car, its one he's going to look at.

I didn't do it, I'm not trusted with fire... Though I've seen it done, you don't want to cook it, just heat the inner race to expand it, only takes a few seconds of heat.
Thanks given by:
Hot enough to make it expand would destroy it. I phoned peugeot and a few motor factors years ago, no where would sell the bearing on its own
Thanks given by:
Only going from my own experience...and it seemed to work fine.

Also, you didn't try hard enough. Tongue http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-Dr...4897.l4275
Thanks given by:
Not worth the hassle, I have just recently changed my drivers side drive shaft and got a new shaft from here, and it was just under 40 quid delivered And it arrived the next day.

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/search.ph...235&y=-362

Also worth looking at changing the seal to as once they have been disturbed then tend to leak. I got one from the local pug dealer for about 12 quid. Worth changing as if it leaks the shaft has to come out again and some of your nice new gearbox oil will end up all over the floor.
Thanks given by:
1 for £12. Undecided I think they cost us about £4 for the pair from ecp.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
1s from peugeot are a fair bit more than most motor factors etc
Thanks given by:
J and R are very good quality. I bought a Q-drive one from ECP (£80 after discount!) then 2 months later the other driveshaft went and I spent £40 at J and R. The quality seemed better on the latter one!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 08:10 AM)Poodle Wrote: 1 for £12. Undecided I think they cost us about £4 for the pair from ecp.

I went to my local ecp and as usual they didn't have them in stock, so i got it from the local pug dealer when i got my new gear box oil.
Thanks given by:
Bought the car now Smile
driveshaft for 30 quid from a local parts store
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driveshaft Intermediate Bearing Problem Toms306 7 1,063 19-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Toms306