High pressure oil feed line diameter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High pressure oil feed line diameter
Since no one feels like replying to my existing thread on the subject, I have started a new thread. I have thought of everything except the friggin' oil line diameter. That was the first question the Pirtek man asked. So anyone know what the diameter needs to be for the oil feed line? For some reason I am thinking 8 mil but maybe getting muddled up with the fuel line. Also what length should it be? Some say 12 inches, some say 1.5 feet which is 15 inches.

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
We'll guy who made mine up said it's quarter of an inch something like that and no idea on length get tape measure out and lay under car Wink

Thanks given by:
Still not fitted that turbo yet? pfft.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I do not rush my projects Niall Rolleyes Better to do it properly once so it goes on and stays on than do it in properly and have to take it off again. Once I get an SD card reader for my new computer I will put a new project thread up to update you on the progress and the issues which have slown it down. Until then, shut it :p

(10-02-2014, 05:06 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: We'll guy who made mine up said it's quarter of an inch something like that and no idea on length get tape measure out and lay under car Wink

Bare in mind I need accurate info, no point getting it made up and it's too big leading to low pressure and a blown turbo <_< Also measuring the standard line is not possible because it is a solid steel line with bends and there is no way to get a tape measure by it. Not being pedantic, just in case a certain person says "Oh, you've had loads of answers and ignored all of them". You know who I am talking about Wink

Edit: Just in case anyone gets this thread in the "related threads" section:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-6498.html

It only tells me the outer diameter, not the inner one. I thought I was close to finding a solution but turns out to be a red herring.
Thanks given by:
We'll I measured mine off the solid pipe with out issue, the hydraulic place said that's the right size I need for turbo. Just go talk to your local company and they will advice on what size pipe is needed, as for length I will measure mine when I get chance, I'm guessing your coming off the block? Or you coming of the standard line?

That's what mine looks like gt20 to btw

[Image: DSC_0410_zps6cttedio.jpg]

Thanks given by:
isnt Jenks still making these??

8mm is pretty thick to be honest for a high pressure feed. I would think a 6mm inner would be plenty
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Here you go sir. Straight from Garrett Smile

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygar...ater_lines
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
As I said quarter of an inch! Wink

Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 07:32 PM)Tom Wrote: Here you go sir. Straight from Garrett Smile

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygar...ater_lines

Heh, good find bud. I am a bit torn between getting a totally flexible one made up with fittings or getting a very short piece of flexi attached to the end of a spare standard line. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both at the moment.

Quote:We'll I measured mine off the solid pipe with out issue, the hydraulic place said that's the right size I need for turbo. Just go talk to your local company and they will advice on what size pipe is needed, as for length I will measure mine when I get chance, I'm guessing your coming off the block? Or you coming of the standard line?

Probably coming off the line as it saves having one fitting made. Don't worry about measuring anything if I am gonna get the line adapted. Seems the best thing. Just need to find someone selling one!

(10-02-2014, 08:23 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: As I said quarter of an inch! Wink

Thanks Wink
Thanks given by:
Personally get all flexy, the one that goes in the end of the standard line is a bit of a pain.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 09:19 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, good find bud. I am a bit torn between getting a totally flexible one made up with fittings or getting a very short piece of flexi attached to the end of a spare standard line. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both at the moment.

For a high pressure feed. Why?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 09:49 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 09:19 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, good find bud. I am a bit torn between getting a totally flexible one made up with fittings or getting a very short piece of flexi attached to the end of a spare standard line. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both at the moment.

coz he wants oil to spray everywhere of course! derr
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 09:52 PM)Piggy Wrote:

Well your the expert there...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 09:53 PM)Tom Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 09:49 PM)ginge191 Wrote: For a high pressure feed. Why?

Popcorn
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 09:53 PM)Tom Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 09:49 PM)ginge191 Wrote: For a high pressure feed. Why?

I wasnt guessing...I was speaking from great experience Rofl
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Amen to that!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 09:44 PM)Tom Wrote: Personally get all flexy, the one that goes in the end of the standard line is a bit of a pain.

Do this was only £20 for mine had to have an adaptor for the block tho but was all in on price.

Thanks given by:
How to decorate your clean engine block with oil for dummies. Written and printed by Piggy Ltd.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
A dummy would just pour oil over his engine...what I did takes time, effort and money!! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
just get half inch in diameter.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 11:19 PM)padge Wrote: just get half inch in diameter.

12mm? Think that's abit excessive lol

Thanks given by:
Mega excessive
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
think everyone round here runs half inch, on td04s, no issues
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You can make it out of whatever size/diameter you want. The pressure is still going to be coming from the block, the only detailed part you need to get right is the restrictor going into the blower to ensure no popping of seal, and maintaining enough oil pressure to the rest of the block. They're normally about 2mm but the rest of the line can just be made up it wont affect anything as long as restrictor is correct.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

I mean braided oil hose. The type that people get oil hoses made out of, you know? Rolleyes Apparently a popular solution is to get a short piece of braided oil hose fitted to the standard line with a connector on the end for the non standard turbo but from what Tom says a flexi is easier.

(10-02-2014, 09:44 PM)Tom Wrote: Personally get all flexy, the one that goes in the end of the standard line is a bit of a pain.

Hmm, okay then. That does mean there is still going to be a question mark over length. I will go for 12 inches as suggested unless anyone can forsee any problems.

(11-02-2014, 12:29 AM)Dave Wrote: You can make it out of whatever size/diameter you want. The pressure is still going to be coming from the block, the only detailed part you need to get right is the restrictor going into the blower to ensure no popping of seal, and maintaining enough oil pressure to the rest of the block. They're normally about 2mm but the rest of the line can just be made up it wont affect anything as long as restrictor is correct.

I haven't heard any mention of restrictors before, but the oil inlet on the CHRA is already about 2mm, I guess that means the restrictor is built in. I see what you mean, as long as the restrictor is restricting the oil flow, the correct pressure will be maintained. But I will go with a 1/4 inch hose anyway as that appears to be what everyone uses.
Thanks given by:
I will measure mine if you want when I get chance?

Thanks given by:
(11-02-2014, 04:24 PM)306Puggy Wrote: I haven't heard any mention of restrictors before, but the oil inlet on the CHRA is already about 2mm, I guess that means the restrictor is built in. I see what you mean, as long as the restrictor is restricting the oil flow, the correct pressure will be maintained. But I will go with a 1/4 inch hose anyway as that appears to be what everyone uses.

Im just mentioning this because on the lorry blower I have it uses an oil feed pipe of 10mm to the blower, so oil pressure would be non existent if I didn't make a restrictor for it.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well Dave as far as I can tell the restrictor is already built into the turbo CHRA, when I get my SD card reader for my new computer I will upload a picture to show you what I mean.

Edit: Right, interesting development. Apparently Pirtek outsource to another company so the Pirtek guy have me their phone number to speak to that other company directly. Said other company is near Silverstone so not exactly local and therefore I can't bring the turbo to them to show them which fitting goes into the end of it. So I will have to guess that part. Why is everything so damn complicatedAngry

Edit 3:

I can confirm, that on my GT2052 at least, the oil inlet to the turbo CHRA is the same size as the Lucas pump fuel inlet fitting (the bit that the banjo bolt screws into), which I believe is M14x1.5 but can anybody confirm that? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Right, got a picture of what I think the "restrictor" is, seems to be just part of the oil inlet TBH:

[Image: P1010072_zps4ee7bfa0.jpg]

As said for the oil feed a lucas fuel pump fuel inlet fitting threads in there perfectly so I am guessing it is M14x1.5 but just want to be sure.
Thanks given by:
its m12 x 1.5 and the block thread is m16 x 1.5

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help repairing/replacing high pressure PAS pipe heyitsroth 2 1,432 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: welshpug
  Twin turbo high pressure oil feed setup. 205dtub 17 3,818 23-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Last Post: 205dtub
  auxiliary belt length with different power steering pulley diameter juz22 1 1,257 18-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Niall