Maf unplugged

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maf unplugged
As per title really I was looking around my engine bay as just bought an estate hdi and noticed that the maf was unplugged, any reason why someone may of unplugged it and left it as it looks like it's been unplugged for a while looking at how dirty the plug was??

Ran fine with it unplugged but I have plugged it back in and seems ok as well (strange Sad )
Thanks given by:
Normally unplugged because they're faulty.. bit weird that there's no difference plugging it back in though
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If its the same as unplugged i'd assume its f*cked. Either that or theres so much dirt in the plug your not making connection.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I will give it a clean with carb cleaner in a bit, I haven't driven it much since buying it Saturday
Thanks given by:
I probably wouldn't use carb cleaner on a MAF, just in case.. best off with some electrical contact cleaner
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 03:40 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I probably wouldn't use carb cleaner on a MAF, just in case.. best off with some electrical contact cleaner

Think I used white spirit last time I cleaned a maf
Thanks given by:
Think you are talking about cleaning the plug with carb cleaner?
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 03:59 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Think you are talking about cleaning the plug with carb cleaner?

Yes but remembered I cleaned my last maf on my 206 hdi with white spirit but also I do have carb cleaner Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
As long as you don't touch the wire element in the maf it should be fine, they're fairly sensitive though so use a gentle cleaner that doesn't leave a residue.

As Tom says, if it's the same plugged in as unplugged then it's broken, replacing it with a genuine new maf should see the car with noticeably more power and better mpg to boot. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 08:11 PM)Poodle Wrote: As long as you don't touch the wire element in the maf it should be fine, they're fairly sensitive though so use a gentle cleaner that doesn't leave a residue.

As Tom says, if it's the same plugged in as unplugged then it's broken, replacing it with a genuine new maf should see the car with noticeably more power and better mpg to boot. Smile

Thanks poodle for a good reply!

Does anyone know how much they are for a genuine maf from peugeot??
Thanks given by:
Glad to help. A new maf was ~£70 last time I checked, but that was at least two years ago.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes Poodle and Tom are right, if you plug it in and it makes no difference it means it's a complete open circuit and you;re running on the default values with it connected or not. make sure you get the genuine VDO part. They've gone up a bit lately but you might be able to get one for about 70/80.
Thanks given by:
Unplugged my MAF the other day and the thing is so much quicker :S thought the thing was feckin slow haha.

Do you guys not rate the ebay MAF's at all? eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Peugeot-30...2a2f408578

or one on car parts 4 less
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Pe...680&000009

they do the VDO one too for £71.94
Thanks given by:
From pug there around £105 now.

I bought one yesterday from ECP and it was £71.

(16-02-2014, 03:22 PM)Wolverine1091 Wrote: Unplugged my MAF the other day and the thing is so much quicker :S thought the thing was feckin slow haha.

Do you guys not rate the ebay MAF's at all? eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Peugeot-30...2a2f408578

or one on car parts 4 less
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Pe...680&000009

they do the VDO one too for £71.94

No whatever you do don't by the cheap ones on eBay as they fail even quick and they don't read as well.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
I just bought a cheap Ebay MAF yesterday, put it on today but I haven't driven the car yet... have I made a mistake?!? =/
Thanks given by:
Probably, if it runs lumpy then you know it's a bad MAF.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Runnning with maf unplugged = less mpg? MY95 12 1,908 10-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Last Post: MY95
  Found this unplugged? MIKE-FORD 5 2,015 01-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Jole