Power steering leak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering leak
Noticed this not long ago as the steering got heavy. Got a leak coming from the lower pipe feeding from the reservoir to the power steering pump, I can see where the leak is.

Can I just change the butterfly clip? or do I need to change the pipe? also when changing either pipe and clip or just the clip will I need to bleed the system like you bleed the brakes?
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
Got a picture of the pipe thats leaking? Sounds like a low pressure one but just want to make sure!
If it is low pressure, try putting a clip on it and if that solves it, job done. If not, i suspect a damaged pipe which again, if its low pressure won't cost much.

If you drain the whole system, bleeding it is as simple as filling the resivoir then turning the wheel back and forth till its easy to move again and the level is at max and stays there.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2014, 05:23 PM)Niall Wrote: Got a picture of the pipe thats leaking? Sounds like a low pressure one but just want to make sure!
If it is low pressure, try putting a clip on it and if that solves it, job done. If not, i suspect a damaged pipe which again, if its low pressure won't cost much.

If you drain the whole system, bleeding it is as simple as filling the resivoir then turning the wheel back and forth till its easy to move again and the level is at max and stays there.

It's leaking from the bottom pipe mate. Not my image just a quick one for an example
[attachment=13497]
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Pump, All The Same? bigcheez2k3 14 4,288 20-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: vento85
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,612 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,166 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank