fuel pressure regulator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel pressure regulator
Checking earth continuity and I have nothing for the fuel pressure regulator. Is this correct or should I start stripping the loom
Thanks given by:
Anyone? Im really lost with it. I have 5v at the rail sensor. Thamks
Thanks given by:
the FPR is bolted to the pump which is bolted to the block which should be earthed via the gearbox-chassis-battery negative terminal
Thanks given by:
The fuel pressure regualtor uses a pulse width modulated wave so you won't be able to see much except check the live. The earth is what is modulated through the pin on the ECU as in this diagram. This helped a guy with a similar problem not long ago, turned out the relay was faulty IIRC.

http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/downloads/edc15c2pinout.jpg
Thanks given by: pug306driver
That checks out ok then. Guess thats another 306 going to car haven.

Cheers but im absolutely lost when I look at diagrams like that
Thanks given by:
Why don't you try another FPR (or give it a proper clean)?

What is your problem?

Is the lift pump priming when you turn the ignition to two clicks?
Thanks given by:
Have put another for in. Lift pump primes engine turns over but won't fire. Drove 40miles fine next day it struggled to start when to shop and from then on it won't start. Brand new fully charged battery, 7v at injectors with ignition on, 5v at frps with ignition on.
Thanks given by:
There's also a setting where you need 120 bar at the fuel pressure sensor to fire the injectors.
If you're not getting enough fuel pressure it can be the pump (quite likely), regulator (very likely, but you've changed that), or the fuel pressure sensor (I've not seen many of these go wrong).

Can you attach a volt meter to the output pin and ground pin of the fuel pressure sensor whilst cranking? Through a rough calculation you should see about 0.36 volts?

Or easier connect PP2000 and log the pressure whilst cranking. Where are you based, I'm in Bristol if you need any help.
Thanks given by:
I thought it needed closer to 280bar to fire the injectors on start-up..? Also, injectors have been known to cause fuel pressure issues, although thats probably about as common as the frps failing.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Im near hull so a fair way away. I will have a look tomorrow. Someone said clamp fuel return line. I tried this and it just sprayed fuel from the leak off pipes
Thanks given by:
I should think they meant the fpr return line off the pump.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ahhhh ok I'll try that
Thanks given by:
Poodle, 280 bar is the idle fuel pressure setting so that's what you'll see with the engine stopped but ignition on. For the ECU to send a pulse to open the injector though you need a minimum of 120 bar at the fuel rail. The injectors can cause fuel pressure to drop, but only usually at full load, I think this is because the seals kind of give way and the fuel pressure drops really suddenly.
Thanks given by:
Ah fairy snuff, cheers. Somethings gone amiss in that first sentence, fairly certain you won't see 280bat with engine off. lol

New injectors solved my cutting out issues btw, I just didn't realise at the time thanks to my enthusiastic attacks on roundabouts. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Pressure Regulator JTaylor2005 3 2,150 11-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Last Post: mr_fish
Brick No fuel pressure Uberderv 13 3,058 04-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  expected fuel rail pressure figure... pug306driver 8 1,850 12-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Toms306