GT2052

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GT2052
Hi everyone just wanted to know who else is running the GT2052
Just want to know what everyone thinks
Thanks given by:
Padge and Chris_90 and in the process of fitting one to there cars. Ricky and Ozonehostile have both driven a 306 with a GT2052.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Anton has one on his.

And zx_volcane had one on to a while ago

Thanks given by:
Chris would that be zx_volcane? Not volcano...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
That's what I put Undecided

Thanks given by:
Yeah I had one on for a bit

Was ridiculous, instant spool, stupid amount of torque

Lifted my head, ruined a clutch and ran out of puff fairly early in the rev range compared to a td04

So much fun off the line though, and 30-70 was ridiculous too - it just wanted to go all the time.

Anton's now running it, with much success too. Must have put on a fair few 1000 miles as he does intergalactic miles and it hasn't popped yet.

I've still got my spare actually, and I keep threatening to put it on another xud but never do :/
Thanks given by:
Im liking toms description of how they go very much!
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Someone moved this to the HDI section but im pretty sure Rhys is now an XUD man... #modfail
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Fail on rhys for not updating his avatar or putting a better thread description

#usermemberfail
Thanks given by:
Rhys needs to learn to forum.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Not sure I like the idea of it running out of puff early in the rev range Undecided planning another upgrade anyway for when I decide I dont like it.

Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 09:39 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Not sure I like the idea of it running out of puff early in the rev range Undecided planning another upgrade anyway for when I decide I dont like it.

You can't have it all on a wg turbo, you either have a quick spooling torque muncher or a slower spooling big 'un with enough flow for 6k revs.

Without a doubt it will shift with that gt20 on, but just a different drive as the power band comes in much much earlier.

May not even make the same headline power as a td04, but in reality probably a quicker car day to day driving. Its all about the torque curve and the power delivery.

This is why vnt is such a win win situation, literally best of both worlds.
Thanks given by:
^^^ Well said that man
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I see we're your coming from, I like the idea of low spool for stop start around town (205 will be used for deliverys) but I liked the td04 quite alot having the bit of lag, gave it some excitement to it, not like the HDI's were people mistake them for non turbo because the turbo is in instantly.

Thanks given by:
Jeez Chris, decide what you want lol
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 09:58 PM)Anton Wrote: Jeez Chris, decide what you want lol

We'll as tom (zx) said vnt is the right way really but no matter how long I sit there reading up on it I still carnt get my head round how to control it. Unless I get some one to set it up for me it's not gonna happen. See how I get on with the gt20 but the next upgrade is gt2252s if I don't get on with it.

Thanks given by:
The power delivery is about as far away from the lazy hdi as you could imagine

You won't be disappointed
Thanks given by:
My 2056 blows hard (!) all the way to the size of my danglys will allow...ive not pushed harder than 5k...

But more coz I dont wana blow it up and with the hdi box I can just shift at 4k and ride the huge wave of torque

Imho, 6k is just asking for trouble
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Dont compare a tuned xud with a big turbo to a lethargic hdi! Keep at it Chris, if you dont like it you have a bolt on Gt series for xud, probably make your money back easily :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Tis is the reason I wanted a gt2052, while othrrs running a td04 are lagging im on boost and gone, probably like driving a tdi really as the boost is almost instant, I reckon I should still see a decent 160-170bhp and maybr 260-280ftbls
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 10:43 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: The power delivery is about as far away from the lazy hdi as you could imagine

You won't be disappointed

Oooo if it's nothing like the HDI should be ok then Wink
(06-02-2014, 11:44 PM)Tom Wrote: Dont compare a tuned xud with a big turbo to a lethargic hdi! Keep at it Chris, if you dont like it you have a bolt on Gt series for xud, probably make your money back easily :p

Yer gonna keep at it more for the curiosity of what it's like, and if I don't like it, like you say I will get my money back easy Smile

Time will tell. But still looking at upgrades no harm in having other turbos waiting to try out Wink

Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 08:31 PM)cully Wrote: Fail on rhys for not updating his avatar or putting a better thread description

#usermemberfail

Why do I need to change my avatar
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 12:04 AM)daniel909 Wrote:
(06-02-2014, 08:31 PM)cully Wrote: Fail on rhys for not updating his avatar or putting a better thread description

#usermemberfail

Why do I need to change my avatar

avatar text reads Car: 306 hdi and 1.4
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 10:02 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(06-02-2014, 09:58 PM)Anton Wrote: Jeez Chris, decide what you want lol

We'll as tom (zx) said vnt is the right way really but no matter how long I sit there reading up on it I still carnt get my head round how to control it. Unless I get some one to set it up for me it's not gonna happen. See how I get on with the gt20 but the next upgrade is gt2252s if I don't get on with it.

Why would a GT2252s be an upgrade? That's a slightly laggier GT2052s... All that will do is produce the same power figures, just at higher RPMs and with less torque... You'd only need that if you were running a higher capacity engine and don't want the turbo to spool TOO quick down low.

Tom is quite right on the whole "runs out of puff" thing - but you're used to stock T2s and GT15s, it'll seem nuts in comparison... TD04s are just so crap in comparison, you have to seriously rev them, wait for the turbo to come on on gear changes...

GT2052 will be *there* on gear changes, you only need to change up at 4200rpm but the power is instant on gearchange... I've never got this whole thing about spinning the engine to 6k to get the turbo spinning, then soon as you change, drop straight off the power and have to wait (whilst BLOWING the black stuff) for the turbo to come back on song...

This is the difference between boost threshold and lag - you can make a TD04 spin up at low RPMs if you tease it, but it'll always be laggy when going back on the throttle, it's got that time when the gas flow increases for the compressor to get to speed... A GT2052 rotating assembly is like half the weight of a TD04, you don't need half the energy to make the wheel spin back up to speed - yes it's weaker, but when you run a TD04 de-wastegated as is the latest trend, it's so inefficient after one pull through the RPMs, it's slower than the GT20... The GT20 is instant when you go back on the throttle, not to mention the fact the hotside is a better design so will come in lower down... The GT20 blows *SO* hard at lower RPMs it makes the top end feel a bit gutless...

VNTs are the only time you really can have your cake *and* eat it... But then you've got the hassle of high EMPs, surging like a twat etc... If I wanted a *good* daily driver, a GT2052s or similar would be my choice.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: bashbarnard
Amen to pretty much everything said above.
Thanks given by:
Thats a great info/advice the ruan, i thought the gt2252 would be an upgrade because its bigger? my knowledge on this sort of stuff is nothing compered to what you no.

Thanks given by:
Depends how you define upgrade though Chris... Some people might call shifting the power up the rev range to be a downgrade...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 12:41 PM)Tom Wrote: Depends how you define upgrade though Chris... Some people might call shifting the power up the rev range to be a downgrade...

Upgrade to me means more power/torque but if ruan says it wont produce more power will just move it up the rev range there's no point in doing it.

Thanks given by:
Will the GT2052 put less strain on the bottom end than a TD04 as it wont be revving so high or will the increased low down torque put more strain on it?
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 01:04 PM)simonh Wrote: Will the GT2052 put less strain on the bottom end than a TD04 as it wont be revving so high or will the increased low down torque put more strain on it?

I dont think so, in the low rpm i bet that gt can cram a shit load of air into the cylinders.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gt2052 sherman306 30 12,934 14-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  GT2052 Anton 15 3,687 15-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Anton