Fixing a rust patch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing a rust patch
I'll have another crack at the sanding tomorrow see if I can get so more of the area shiney

And no never welded before in my life, now i remembered though would I be able to borrow your welder to weld in a cat on my decat pipe?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Thought you couldn't weld lol. Bring it to the unit I have a grinder with a wire head get that rust out. I need some gas if you can get some co2 let me know as I can't find any anywere
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
I can't but youtube tutorials should make welding an exhaust would be easier than the roof job Big Grin I just dont see how it could be welded without cutting everything apart which tbh is it worth the effort?
How long would one suspect the kurust method hold back the rust for? 6 months? a year? 2?
Halfords for the gas? I got a trade card so might knock a few pence off

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Halfords do gas but it's only little cannisters

If headlinings already out cut the rot out from above and weld a plate in.

I have a welder and compressor so could paint it too drop me a pm I you like save clogging the thread
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Screen got to come out to weld there be safer
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Why would screen have to come out? It's not all way up to the screen it needs cutting out to

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
It's very close
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2014, 12:12 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Why would screen have to come out? It's not all way up to the screen it needs cutting out to

Because it needs to be recovered back further still. From Steve's photo there is still paint that needs removing. Could go all the way...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Well a chunk got cut out today with the limiting factors being the windscreen and the shell bracing(?) that runs underneath , what rustys bit was left were grinded until shiney and everything coated in kurust for good measure.

A plate got chemical metal bonded in which seems to be doing a bang on job and a big thanks to Karl for all his help today, without him the hole could well have ended up just being fillered over by me panicking about getting it done before the rust gets worse

Completely forgot to get some more photos but it's currently got some filler on that just needs anther couple of goes at to get it perfect before spraying up, just a shame the rain/snow keeps making an appearance

Also think I've figured out how this happened in the first place, the old aerial base has a rubber seal that goes through the larger hole. this seal has been crushed and not gone through the hole so water has been trapped or slowly let into the area eating the metal.

Thanks given by:
you haven't removed all the rotten metal properly, you wont have a chance in hell of getting a clean weld to the oxidised stuff, chop more out!
Thanks given by:
Yep, bit more needed there yet, it should be spotless! Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Uh guys, did you miss this bit?

"A plate got chemical metal bonded in"
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Over the rust? Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
The rusty part was grinded back til it was shiney as it could be. As said forgot to get photos, but promise it was grinded back more than it was in the photo Big Grin
And yes it was chemical metal'd in solid as a rock, welding would have been too awkward for this place.

Rather annoyed at the rain now stopping me from getting this finished and worried if the filler gets wet it'll soak the rain through back into the metal again. Tried covering it but the wind keeps blowing anything off Censored so for now it's got some masking tape covering it

Thanks given by:
We was going to cut more back but there is the roof support in the way so couldn't get a bigger plate under to cover the hole without chopping in side. Would have been tricky but it's more of a pro job to do that work
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
If you had welded a plate In you wouldn't have had the issue of that brace Wink

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
That true but the windscreen has to come out. Can get some one to do it for £40 and put it back in but has to be booked in
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Looks 100x better than it did no more holes

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Holes Nicely lined up now Smile
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
you were a the stage of...

"look at the rust on that car. he obviously doesnt care for it."

youre now at the stage of...

"Look at the repair job on that car. at least he has tried".
Thanks given by:
>find rust
>scrap car
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 02:53 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: >find rust
>scrap car
I know that feeling but my xr3 has to be saved
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
>scrap car

Coming from a phase 1 owner!? lol
Thanks given by:
It's kind of looking better, hopefully will do when all put together just need to blend the paint well so it doesn't stand out as a big sprayed patch
Got some tarp today at the poundshop so it's at least protected now from the elements

(12-02-2014, 10:33 PM)SRowell Wrote: you were a the stage of...

"look at the rust on that car. he obviously doesnt care for it."

youre now at the stage of...

"Look at the repair job on that car. at least he has tried".
Tried and hopefully not failed lol

>scrap car
Not yet..when the engine dies thats when it goes

Thanks given by:
I didn't think these suffered rot from around there, id have just done away with the Ariel and put an internal one in, under the head lining.
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 10:14 PM)procta Wrote: I didn't think these suffered rot from around there, id have just done away with the Ariel and put an internal one in, under the head lining.

Good shout tbh.

I reckon it will be back to haunt you though. Still needed a but chopping out IMO. Sad
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 10:14 PM)procta Wrote: I didn't think these suffered rot from around there, id have just done away with the Ariel and put an internal one in, under the head lining.
They normally dont, but the aerial base wasn't put in properly when it left factory i think so it collected water under there and rotted from inside out Sad
Just feel the smooth look isn't for me, just want it looking standard for if I ever need to sell on so dont have to explain why there isn't an aerial
(14-02-2014, 09:26 AM)Grant Wrote:

Good shout tbh.

I reckon it will be back to haunt you though. Still needed a but chopping out IMO. Sad
Maybe so but if it does come back in a year or so I'll hopefully have a decent paying job by then to actually pay someone to do it properly or have a garage which I can spend some time working on it

Just sprayed some paint on after leaving the primer to dry overnight and a quick 600grit rub to help the paint bond. Despite it being a halfords blend it looks like it matches pretty well

Thanks given by:
Some snaps of the painting

Thanks given by:
Good luck trying to blend that. Surely you'll be left with a lip where you've masked off?

It's possible, but I'll be harder!
Thanks given by:
Yea your not supposed to spray all way up to the masking tape mate makes life harder

But then again it needs flatting down that orange peel is horrific

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust conversion treatments / gel Mighty306 6 3,097 31-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Rust Treatment MY95 4 1,953 25-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Fixing air con!! bashbarnard 5 1,837 12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo