Xantia engine questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xantia engine questions
Right so I got a engine out of a xantia that I will be putting in my D turbo after I've rebuilt it etc. Just got a few questions about bits I have come across.

First up it the obvious really when it come to a semi ECU bosch pump that it has. Is it any use at all? Whats different on them to a 'normal' bosch pump?

[Image: 082BD43C-F81A-4362-9D59-3161E1300E00_zpsozm6zbmg.jpg]

[Image: 9EF3E2F8-3C63-40E5-885A-2FB27C5D3E90_zpscyk2e9jd.jpg]

Next up is the injectors. I haven't actually looked but they must be bosch 1s. So are they just normal bosch 1s? I noticed 1 has a wire coming off it. Whats that for?

[Image: 924B5BAB-C533-4B6F-B152-4DDD1E5182CA_zpsbmhszo7l.jpg]

This switch for oil pressure?

[Image: 476EDE4C-CFAA-4F8D-94E7-135CDFDF039A_zpso3oads3o.jpg]

Think that's it for now. Any help much appreciated
Thanks given by:
Same switch for oil pressure on any dt no??
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
See people say that the semi ecu engines the advance is changed by the ecu, but that just looks like the ecu monitors throttle position, unless its got something on the back of the pump.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2014, 10:10 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Same switch for oil pressure on any dt no??

I dunno I cant remember seeing it there before. Been a while since I played with a XUD though. Will look at engine in my dt tomorrow. Im prob just being silly
Thanks given by:
Mines got it mate,
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2014, 10:14 PM)Tom Wrote: See people say that the semi ecu engines the advance is changed by the ecu, but that just looks like the ecu monitors throttle position, unless its got something on the back of the pump.

Im not sure. Will have to have more of a look

(02-02-2014, 10:19 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Mines got it mate,

Must be me being silly. Pretty standard lol
Thanks given by:
Can make it out in this picture mate

[Image: DSC_0179.jpg]
Thanks given by:
you need to swap the pumps over, im not 100% sure on how the semi ecu advance kinda works, but I know that pump is pretty much worthless
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah I will have a different pump to go on it, just wondered if this 1 is of any use?
Thanks given by:
got any papers you don't want blowing away?
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2014, 10:31 PM)padge Wrote: got any papers you don't want blowing away?

lol

Sure if you put it on eBay you would get most if the money you paid for engine back Wink

Thanks given by:
I could put it on ebay and say its a remapped bosch pump Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2014, 10:50 PM)Frosty Wrote: I could put it on ebay and say its a remapped bosch pump Smile

Haha lmao Must be worth £299.99 atleast!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2014, 10:14 PM)Tom Wrote: See people say that the semi ecu engines the advance is changed by the ecu, but that just looks like the ecu monitors throttle position, unless its got something on the back of the pump.

Yeah it measures the throttle position. Pile of wank so it is, the keyed part that moves it loosened on me on the motorway one day, givingit a wrong position and the car wouldn't go atall....

As far as I know, the wire on the injector is to measure the injection rate. Some 406's came with a range estimator and mpg calculator (although I can't be arsed wiring in my one, I lose my epic phone holder if I do). Open to corrections there

When my 406 is back up and running, I'll make a vid of it without the ecu running it. It knocks terribly and is horrid to drive. Don't use this pump on a non ecu car as there is no means of controlling the injection timing

Your oil switch is easily swapped, I've seen 2 different types on the DHX engines (Xantia and 406)
[Image: Image423_zps1ac08bc4-1_zps15c76431.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The semi ECU pump will have a built in immobiliser (yes it's in the pump not the ECU) and an electronic RETARD. it's not an advance Wink uses PCM to control. Full constant 12v is fully retarded, and the "off" pulses get larger to advance. So from that I'd guess it's a solenoid on a spring rather than a servo.

From what I can make out, it only exists to keep the engine quiet and more refined, because it still has the mechanical advance.

to bypass the immobiliser, simply take off the armour, rip out the circuit board and wire the stop solenoid directly. Then it'll work the same as the full "proper" mechanical pumps. So it's not totally useless if you don't want it to be.

Assuming it works the same way as my semi electric Bosch.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the info guys. So could I just cut the wire off the injector and use them as normal if you know what I mean?
Thanks given by:
I have the same injectors in mine. Just cut the wire off, or leave it unplugged.Also a lot of the pump is the same inside so you have a spare LDA pin and governer assembly to play with.
Thanks given by:
Those pumps have a solenoid valve on the bottom of the casing, the the reg is set to full pressure, the solenoid then regulates pressure to the timing piston rather than rpm vs case pressure stylye, allowing the ecu to change the dynamic timing. Which is knows by monitoring crank position and the injector needle lift sensor (thats what that wire on 1 injector is).

Unless you run the ecu etc, the pump is useless as will just run static timing, which will be horrific!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ok so is the pump any use for spares etc?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it must have a gov and vanes and all that jazz still?!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just rip it off and run a normal pump, it's the setup mine is running.

Have you got the auto-adjust aux-belt tensioners as well?
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 01:43 PM)Frosty Wrote: Ok so is the pump any use for spares etc?

Probably best to put it on fb with ready to be remapped on the add Wink lol

Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 05:15 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:

Haha too funny, waiting for sone idiots to conment, there always is
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 05:15 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:

Had to be done really for a laugh
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2014, 11:09 PM)Martin306 Wrote: The semi ECU pump will have a built in immobiliser (yes it's in the pump not the ECU) and an electronic RETARD. it's not an advance Wink uses PCM to control. Full constant 12v is fully retarded, and the "off" pulses get larger to advance. So from that I'd guess it's a solenoid on a spring rather than a servo.

From what I can make out, it only exists to keep the engine quiet and more refined, because it still has the mechanical advance.

to bypass the immobiliser, simply take off the armour, rip out the circuit board and wire the stop solenoid directly. Then it'll work the same as the full "proper" mechanical pumps. So it's not totally useless if you don't want it to be.

Assuming it works the same way as my semi electric Bosch.

It is an advance controller, it just so happens that you apply voltage to back off the timing because of the way the pump works, the regulator is just set to maximum pressure and then there's a solenoid valve that is actuated by the ECU that regulates the pressure to the timing piston. It's just that there's multiple inputs into the ECU to regulate what turns on when, so EGR is disabled until the engine heats up, the timing is adjusted dynamically based on temperature at different engine speeds etc.

They also have the wire on the 3rd injector for feedback about needle lift time - that's how it automatically compensates for the "base" timing position on the pump bracket - it knows the crank angle and when the injector fires, so can then precisely control the start of injection (advance..) even if the pump isn't precisely set - up to a point.

And I think you mean PWM - Pulse Width Modulation - PCM is what digital audio in CDs use Wink

Really want to get one apart and read the chips, I bet you could tune them really well - it'd get rid of all the problems that XUDs have when you piss with bigger heads and levers with the advance not coming in at the right time.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Oh LOL yeah pwm i meant. That advance on my nad is dead, drives ok with static tbh.

Also, it doesn't have a "lift" sensor on any of the injectors :O
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 05:07 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Just rip it off and run a normal pump, it's the setup mine is running.

Have you got the auto-adjust aux-belt tensioners as well?

Yeah it has the auto adjuster. I will be using the ph1 aux set up with the lolly pop tensioner
Thanks given by:
I'm still running the auto-adjuster, squeels abit on cold-start Confused
Thanks given by:
Question on the injectors, can i just cut the wire off the injector that has the wire and it be ok to use?
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure mine have just had the wiring snipped, I don't know if you've gotta do anything else with the wiring tho.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Few engine related questions Danaidh 15 2,891 22-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  engine rebuild questions blinkyeatu 1 1,320 03-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Dave
  306 1.9 TD DTurbo XUD9 engine replace questions ECU shazilla 33 13,381 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: shazilla